Hamilton Two Part Stem Removal

I noticed a few postings regarding split-stems and I'm having a similar problem. Sorry if I missed the solution.

I'm working on a Hamilton "Electric". I may need to check again but, it appears it's an ETA 551.121. I removed the crystal and the back.

I was able to drop the movement out because the crown came off.

I'm concerned about pulling hard on the stem. I found a site that claimed you can slowly turn the crown back while wiggling  ( http://www.mybulova.com/node/4602). I found this unsuccessful.

I've included  a couple photos of the stem. I also noticed an arrow directly above the stem pointing to what looks like a release for the 2nd part (see black and white pic w/arrow).

I didn't want to depress the pin for fear I may have trouble getting things back together.

Any suggestions?

Dave.

post-975-0-78246200-1435116972_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-89544000-1435117014_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave.

If you remove the clamps that hold the movement into the brass ring and given the position that the stem is in just now, you should be able to separate the stem by carefully pushing down on the part of the stem that is in the movement. It may be quite stiff, but it should slide apart.

If you now use a small screwdriver or pin punch and press on the pin or lever in the hole marked with an arrow, the stem should release. You might have to pull the stem to the setting position first to get access to the release mechanism.

• Like 1

Geo,

I removed the screws for the re

Hi Dave.

If you remove the clamps that hold the movement into the brass ring and given the position that the stem is in just now, you should be able to separate the stem by carefully pushing down on the part of the stem that is in the movement. It may be quite stiff, but it should slide apart.

If you now use a small screwdriver or pin punch and press on the pin or lever in the hole marked with an arrow, the stem should release. You might have to pull the stem to the setting position first to get access to the release mechanism.

Geo,

I removed the two screws to separate the brass ring. However, dial pins prevented the movement from separating. It was not obvious from the photo that the dial and hands were attached. I lightly pried on the dial at the pin locations to help the movement drop from the ring. The movement seemed to be hung up. I didn't have luck pushing on the stem section in the movement with the dial and hands in place. I used the info you gave me to depress the pin to remove the entire stem. From there I used a pin vise to reattach the crown. I assembled the back and movement/dial and reinserted both parts of the stem intact  (like working with a wet noodle).  Then I installed the crystal.

I find it hard to believe that all this is involved to change the battery. As much as I tried, I could not get enough movement to slide the stem apart. The only way I could see this as a reasonable procedure is to pull the crystal and then separate the stem to remove the back. Otherwise, I had no access to the stem. I was just lucky that the crown unscrewed when I started working on it. That permitted me to get the back off.

I'm so grateful you answered my post. I tried to give as much information and photos but, without the experience in watch repair, I miss details. You're response gave me much needed confidence to continue with the process.

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. I would have responded sooner but I work part-time. I wanted to try your suggestions before I responded.

Hi Dave, that's great that you finally got it sorted. Having read your post where you say the stem wouldn't slide apart, a good strong pull of the crown outwards would have separated it.

Geo,

I guess In the future, I'll try turning the crown ccw in small increments giving the movement a chance to drop out. Otherwise, I'll have to give a strong pull.

Thanks for all the advice.

Dave