Hello,

I have been trying to find a way to remove the ETA 2892-A2 movement out of this Rado Diamaster watch. The case back is surprisingly a snap-on, and after removing the stem and case clamps, expected it to fall out onto my casing cushion. However, the movement seems stuck solid in the case. It does seem to have a synthetic movement retaining ring (if that's what it is) but I'm not sure how to remove it without risking damage as it's not shifting with gentle encouragement. I'm also wondering whether the movement has to come out from the crystal side, but since it's a sapphire crystal, I'm doubting that too. Has anyone else had any experience with removing this movement from the case please? Photos show what I'm working on.

20220912_210229329_iOS.jpg

20220912_212427317_iOS.jpg

20220912_220105626_iOS.jpg

1 hour ago, Kalanag said:

First I would remove the holding screws/brackets (circled in red). Then the movement holding ring can be removed most likely and the movement is loose.

Hi Kalanag, thanks for your reply. However, this was an earlier photo before I had removed the case clamps. The movement is still stuck in the case with these removed.

Edited by AdamC

If that's the case, you might have to consider the possibility of a front loader.

If you look at the size of the dial and the size of the opening in the rear of the case, if the dial is bigger than the opening, than it has to come out through the front.

Check that and come back with your findings. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

If that's the case, you might have to consider the possibility of a front loader.

Right! Looking at the typical shape of the Diamaster case it should be a front loader. No way to get the dial out through the back.

EB8E50E4-0B16-4D94-8BD9-FAAF74E60A03.jpeg

989DF54C-4C11-47F6-9FCD-8BCF42E134F4.jpeg

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Looks as if the bezel and the crystal come off as one, some careful probing with a fine blade should confirm this.

13 hours ago, AdamC said:

Hello,

I have been trying to find a way to remove the ETA 2892-A2 movement out of this Rado Diamaster watch. The case back is surprisingly a snap-on, and after removing the stem and case clamps, expected it to fall out onto my casing cushion. However, the movement seems stuck solid in the case. It does seem to have a synthetic movement retaining ring (if that's what it is) but I'm not sure how to remove it without risking damage as it's not shifting with gentle encouragement. I'm also wondering whether the movement has to come out from the crystal side, but since it's a sapphire crystal, I'm doubting that too. Has anyone else had any experience with removing this movement from the case please? Photos show what I'm working on.

20220912_210229329_iOS.jpg

20220912_212427317_iOS.jpg

20220912_220105626_iOS.jpg

Can we see the case side Adam. General consensus is this movement comes out of the front. Some of these more recent front fitting movements, the bezels are a tight fitting. The older watches have an easy to spot prise point beween the case and bezel. A sharp craft knife may be needed to seperate the bezel from the case, not an enjoyable prospect.  Mikepilk posted a fair case and bezel remover a couple  of weeks ago.  So i bought one and sharpened the blade, works quite well.

14 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

I don‘t think there is a bezel. So the crystal has to be pushed off by compressed air imho.

That sounds even more fun than dangerous prising with a sharp instrument. What  do the delicate insides of the watch think about bar pressure ?

15 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

I don‘t think there is a bezel. So the crystal has to be pushed off by compressed air imho.

15 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

If you look at the size of the dial and the size of the opening in the rear of the case, if the dial is bigger than the opening, than it has to come out through the front.

Check that and come back with your findings. 

Thanks for your reply. Dial size is 36.5mm, case back opening is 28.5mm. That confirms it's not coming out through the back unless there's a special way to remove the synthetic case ring that's holding it in.

7 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Can we see the case side Adam. General consensus is this movement comes out of the front. Some of these more recent front fitting movements, the bezels are a tight fitting. The older watches have an easy to spot prise point beween the case and bezel. A sharp craft knife may be needed to seperate the bezel from the case, not an enjoyable prospect.  Mikepilk posted a fair case and bezel remover a couple  of weeks ago.  So i bought one and sharpened the blade, works quite well.

Thanks for your thoughts. Side view of the case. I've checked under a 20x mag loupe around the top edge and I can't see the slightest tell-tale that there is a bezel holding the crystal on, and I don't like the prospect of a craft knife slipping!! 🥴

20220915_171118069_iOS.jpg

27 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

That sounds even more fun than dangerous prising with a sharp instrument. What  do the delicate insides of the watch think about bar pressure ?

For me, compressed air isn't an option either. I don't have such tool and I'd be surprised if the case back would hold on as it's a snap-on case back. Looks like I may be returning this one to its owner unrepaired (suspected keyless works disengagement).

• Like 1

I remember now. My mentor showed me a video of a tool that is used to open these type of Rado cases. The tool costs over $1000.

The caseback is first removed and a model specific die is fitted to the back. Another die is fitted to the front, which presses on the "bezel" to get an airtight seal on the back. A screw down plunger holds down the crystal to prevent it from flying off when air pressure is applied throught the bottom die. The plunger is slowly backed off to allow the crystal pop out in a controlled manner. 

It's a real piece of engineering marvel. Way over engineered in my opinion. China came out with a tool to open these type of cases. It uses double sided tape to pull the crystal off. I'll look for the Aliexpress link.

I found this while searching for the crystal removal tool. This is a Chinese copy of the tool by Rado.

SG$ 230.56  40%OFF | Watch Crystal Remover Tool For DW Longines  Dismantling Watch Sapphire Glass Inflatable Opening Crystal for Armani Watch
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPyUYDI

Here is the other Chinese tool. I shared this on another thread recently. 

SG$ 37.08 | Watch Front Cover Glass Opener Flat Glass /Arch Glass Remover Screw Tool Watch Part Repair Tool Accessory for Watchmaker
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM3LBFe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for answering the question HectorLooi. It's good to know there is a proper tool to do the job. As you say, way over engineered, and specifically designed by Rado/Swatch to protect their watch servicing/repair revenue interests.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I remember now. My mentor showed me a video of a tool that is used to open these type of Rado cases. The tool costs over $1000.

The caseback is first removed and a model specific die is fitted to the back. Another die is fitted to the front, which presses on the "bezel" to get an airtight seal on the back. A screw down plunger holds down the crystal to prevent it from flying off when air pressure is applied throught the bottom die. The plunger is slowly backed off to allow the crystal pop out in a controlled manner. 

It's a real piece of engineering marvel. Way over engineered in my opinion. China came out with a tool to open these type of cases. It uses double sided tape to pull the crystal off. I'll look for the Aliexpress link.

I found this while searching for the crystal removal tool. This is a Chinese copy of the tool by Rado.

SG$ 230.56  40%OFF | Watch Crystal Remover Tool For DW Longines  Dismantling Watch Sapphire Glass Inflatable Opening Crystal for Armani Watch
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPyUYDI

Here is the other Chinese tool. I shared this on another thread recently. 

SG$ 37.08 | Watch Front Cover Glass Opener Flat Glass /Arch Glass Remover Screw Tool Watch Part Repair Tool Accessory for Watchmaker
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM3LBFe

The double sided tape crystal remover looks like a clever little gadget. A similar take on the glued on nut trick for tight screw down case backs 

6 hours ago, Kalanag said:

It‘s the only way to realize this spectacular design: a huge dial in combination with a very slim and clean looking case.

We‘ve seen the same problem with the Braun BN0095 in this thread:

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/5743-how-to-open-it/#comment-198544

B0401026-B073-4E86-AE47-7D4E7579FCBD.jpeg.36c3c17ee926fc9a757cc3c831980445.jpeg

Here is an excerpt from the manual:

2F3071CE-158A-4247-B29E-EA0E9479CB97.thumb.jpeg.1dd6b2b9ebe03d8ed15985d52792c43b.jpeg

I wonder what the effects of air pressure has on the components of the balance assembly. I think HectorLooi's cheap ali express tool is a safer option.

15 hours ago, AdamC said:

Thanks for answering the question HectorLooi. It's good to know there is a proper tool to do the job. As you say, way over engineered, and specifically designed by Rado/Swatch to protect their watch servicing/repair revenue interests.

Yep car manufacturers have been needlessly making mechanical components in such a way that they require specific tools for removal and service of those components for decades. Or at least since they decided they no longer wanted car owners to repair their own cars and would rather have main dealers happily overcharge us for that privilege.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 1:32 PM, AdamC said:

movement out of this Rado Diamaster watch

little hard in your picture but I can see the case back and I believe I see the words ceramic. That means extreme caution as ceramic can break. So for instance prying the case back off you might be tempted to pry off one of the case lugs and they have a habit of breaking off.

On 9/14/2022 at 1:32 PM, AdamC said:

I'm also wondering whether the movement has to come out from the crystal side, but since it's a sapphire crystal, I'm doubting that too. Has anyone else had any experience with removing this movement from the case please? P

unfortunately your watch does go out through the front. The factory blows the crystal off with air pressure but they use a special tool which is rather pricey.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

pressure by way of the crown tube is how with a pump made for this or some other means, I have seen people break the crystal and replace just to get the movement out, NOT RECOMMENDED but they said a crystal was cheaper than a pump, good luck......Happy New Year