Hi, Folks:

I'm afraid its been a little while but its nice to be back. I am taking on a kind of Fun project just to see where it goes.

Most of you are familiar with the WESTCLOX Pocket Ben series beginning in 1917. These are commonly relegated to the "dollar store" category and as we see the construction degrade to ever-simpler manufacturing techniques over the years its not as though the label has not been earned.

My challenge is to disassemble and service a 9-67 Pocket Ben since it seems to be pretty close to the cut-off where rivets secured the plates rather than screws. Maybe sometime down the road I might even try drilling out the rivets and reconstructing by tapping the stubs for screws. Who knows. Right now my thought is that common lubing techniques for the gears are not going to work as many of the gears themselves are peened to the plate. Commonly accepted lubing guides are not going to apply here.  If anyone has suggestions for how I might tweak accepted standards and practices to account for this situation I would certainly appreciate it.  Please remember...I'm taking this on just as a challenge for myself and to stimulate discussion, so I acknowledge that these have never been huge candidates for servicing and rehab, 'kay?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Thanks so much for the suggestions. 

I have watched "BUNNSPECIAL" before but have some strong reservations about his approach and techniques. I have a kind of rig to photograph my disassembly and did use the second link to load a book reviewing WESTCLOX that I had not seen before. Again..many thanks. 

Best Wishes, 

Bruce 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Agreed 1000% I think it all started with food manufacturers. Granted certain food can certainly go bad but most dated products say: "Best by <some date>"  If the oils were natural vegetable oils I suspect they could go rancid at some point but I believe Moebius has taken a page from food companies hoping that by putting a date on their 9010 we'll worry. What would be better would be something suggesting that "out of date" oils may not perform as long as "fresh" oils. It's highly unlikely that: a) I'll ever use all 2ml (or 5ml) of what I have now of various oils or that b) I'll ever actually undertake servicing a watch for pay where I would in fact be slightly concerned.
    • I have never yet attempted to fix a hairspring. I grabbed a parts watch with an AS 1240 out of a job lot thinking I'd maybe get it running for a relative. But I found this bird's nest of a hairspring with at least two hard crimps (almost like "folds"). It looks much much worse than any hairspring straightening demonstration I've seen so I'm curious whether this is fixable as an advanced case and worth the experience of trying, or if it is too far gone. Is it possible to unbend these hard angles? Considering I have broken mainsprings with less severe crimps, I am assuming this can't be fixed but thought I would ask. Thanks!
    • I guess the manufacturing world has succeeded in messing with our minds. in our dental industry, things like liquid mercury and gold alloy have expiration dates. C'mon .... Really? Mercury is an element and gold is stable. So how do they expire? Previously a batch number or lot number was sufficient. Manufacturers became greedy and started putting expiration dates on everything. Making consumers feel guilty or unsafe using expired products, resulting in perfectly good stuff getting thrown away. I think some common sense is needed. Although they say honey found in an Egyptian pyramid is still good, I wouldn't want to try 3000 year old honey. But I would certainly use expired lubricants. (Ahem... not the personal type, of course. 😉)
    • Jim, Where in Florida?  I hope not in IAN's path.  I am in Homosassa and have received my Pearl Supreme and was wondering what mods you did to improve the wiring? Thanks
    • You realize that if he does that it will likely come with another cleaning machine, lathe and a fully stocked cabinet of crystals... 🙂