Hamilton Grade 974 size 16s center wheel pillar plate jewel replacement

hi all

I have a Hamilton gr 974 size 16s that needs a new center wheel jewel in the pillar plate. This is my first encounter of this type and so far what I've read is this type of jewel setting is one of the most difficult, if not the most difficult to repair due to its hybrid friction setting. it seems it's a two part setting to include the jewel, set into an either steel or bronze hub, then the beveled edge in peened over to hold the jewel, and then another beveled edge on the opposite side is peened over to affix the entire setting into the pillar plate. Anyone have any experience or advice before I attempt this one? below are the sorry excuses for pictures showing the plates side by side. the one on the left contains the donor jewel, and the one on the right is the missing center jewel. the third and second to the last is the donor jewel and the last is Section 300 out of the book, The Chicago School of Watchmaking that shows a cross sectional view of the procedure. Again, advice needed! i have to do some running but will check back later.

apologies on the late wish: to our friends across the pond-my sincerest sympathies on the passing of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth. A great, remarkable and very special lady indeed. 

HAMILTON GR 974 PILLAR LATES.jpg

HAMILTON GR 974 MISSING JEWEL DRIVE SIDE.jpg

HAMILTON GR 974 MISSING CTR JEWEL.jpg

CTR DONOR JEWEL.jpg

CTR DONOR JEWEL DIAL SIDE.jpg

CHICAGO SCH. OF WATCHMAKING SECT. 300.jpg

• Thanks 1

Wish I could help, and hope someone will chime in with some suggestions.  I have been lucky so far, and haven't had to remove/replace any of these pocket watch jewels. 

If I'm remembering correctly, replacement jewels were sold already mounted in the settings.

I have the vintage tools for opening the beveled edge, but I don't yet have the tools to rub the metal back over the setting. 

I'm sure that after I've destroyed a few vintage plates it will become easy 🙂

Cheers!

On 9/13/2022 at 8:28 AM, dadistic said:

Wish I could help, and hope someone will chime in with some suggestions.  I have been lucky so far, and haven't had to remove/replace any of these pocket watch jewels. 

If I'm remembering correctly, replacement jewels were sold already mounted in the settings.

I have the vintage tools for opening the beveled edge, but I don't yet have the tools to rub the metal back over the setting. 

I'm sure that after I've destroyed a few vintage plates it will become easy 🙂

Cheers!

yup you're correct-they were factory set and sold as one unit. unfortunately finding one is slim to none. what tool do you have that opens the beveled edge? do you have a picture? is it a staking tool? or a conical concave for closing holes? thats why I'm taking my time on this one. I only have one donor plate so far!

On 9/16/2022 at 2:54 PM, dadistic said:

The picture below is what I have, the bottom of these is flat

ah yes. I am familiar with those. don't have them but i'll see the condition of the beveled edge soon enough. according to the book when you stake out the setting, it's supposed to straighten out the bevel. oh boy looking forward to this one. thanks for the vid link!

• 3 weeks later...

I see someone other than me has ran into this problem. I have right now a Waltham grade 620 on my  bench with about same problem, mine being on the 3rd wheel lower jewel and by time I push out with my Horia (clone) tool there was nothing left of jewel. So now I'm wounding what to do next, was thinking about doing away with that cup and just find a jewel to fit the hole and I know I would have to play around with the getting the right end play if this could be done.

IMG_004.JPG

• 3 months later...

sorry for the late reply as I am not getting any notices about replies.

as I found out, this was waaay above my experience level and proved to be much more difficult. before I did anything I got a donor plate just in case before I dove in and I'm glad I did. I did manage to find the tools and they do make slightly easier but not much. very fussy tedious work and have to be very very careful. I found swedging(or rubbing) the beveled lip back in to place to hold the new setting was the most difficult. 

long story short-I hope I don't run into this again anytime soon. was kinda fun though? does that sentence even make any sense?

• Like 1