Advice on assembling my own watch

I would like to assemble my own watch.  There are kits available (e.g. Esslinger), and I have no particular objection to a kit, but I do not want a giant, unwearable, 6497-based movement with a case 40+ mm across and heavy as lead.  Neither do I want something the size of a 1940s Elgin.  Something in between would be nice.  I wonder if anyone might point me in the right direction, offer some advice, or some suggestions, starting with the case, which I can't find literally ANYWHERE, and the mechanical, hand-wind movement (not partial to automatics).  Any thoughts?

CousinsUK has complete Seiko SKX diver cases (including timing bezel, gaskets, crown, crystal, caseback). There are a couple other case types IIRC. Dials, hands, and chapter rings are available from a number of sources (Barcelona Vintage Time etc). Movements - the NH36 is most affordable option - good price from Cousins. The NH36 would require a compatible stem and crown. 

If you search on Cousins for “case complete” the results give a variety of options

Diywatch.club has a nice non-diver case to fit a skeleton miyota 8

Edited by JohnFrum

Hey Loren, have a look here, there might be something that fits what you are looking for and off the seiko/homage track a bit.

Tom

Just now, tomh207 said:

Hey Loren, have a look here, there might be something that fits what you are looking for and off the seiko/homage track a bit.

Tom

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/swissmadetime?_trkparms=folent%3Aswissmadetime|folenttp%3A1&_trksid=p3542580.m47492.l74602

Diywatch club has several types of kits, well done and easy to put together. I started myself in this hobby with a diver from them. Also bought the GMT diver from them last week, kit only, as tools I now have a lot more than in the beginning. These aren’t the cheapest kits, but I have used the diver for more than one and a half years without any issues. One of my favourite watches.

Anyhow welcome to the hobby!

https://shop.diywatch.club