New cannon pinion tightener upperer

Eyup everyone, how you doin ? 

Assuming I've chosen the correct section, not quite tool making, or adaptation as we often do. This is more of a tool re- application. This week i bought from ebay a cannon pinion tightener although some disagreement as to this. I'm yet to discover it in a vintage tool catalog that John kindly posted up. But i did find another tool that i was trying to identify a little while ago which we can have a look at later, hopefuly that one has a good design as it will be very useful for a particularly difficult proceedure. So this is a great little hack tool that WW suggested which i think came from Nucejoe apologies if i have that wrong, i have always thought credit were credit is due especially when it comes to ingenuity. Presenting the cannon pinion tightener upper clippers. I will have a little play this afternoon with some spare cannon pinions and then add my findings afterwards. 👍

16629071864423332235318420489482.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Eyup everyone, how you doin ? 

Assuming I've chosen the correct section, not quite tool making, or adaptation as we often do. This is more of a tool re- application. This week i bought from ebay a cannon pinion tightener although some disagreement as to this. I'm yet to discover it in a vintage tool catalog that John kindly posted up. But i did find another tool that i was trying to identify a little while ago which we can have a look at later, hopefuly that one has a good design as it will be very useful for a particularly difficult proceedure. So this is a great little hack tool that WW suggested which i think came from Nucejoe apologies if i have that wrong, i have always thought credit were credit is due especially when it comes to ingenuity. Presenting the cannon pinion tightener upper clippers. I will have a little play this afternoon with some spare cannon pinions and then add my findings afterwards. 👍

16629071864423332235318420489482.jpg

Hello again I'm back 🤦‍♂️ here to add regards to the cannon pinion tightener. Just had a ten mins play. 1 cannon pinion, 1 smoothing broach,  1 re -applied function nail clipper.  Cp  slid along a hand spun  broach until the broach grabbed the cp and spun the cp. Broach then  marked at this point. Cp in cp nipper, cp nipped to a visible nipping indent. Cp again slid along hund spun broach until broach again grabbed and spun cp . Broach marked. A definite reduction to the inner bore is made. The  indents made were more of a lengthy bend as opposed to a sharp detailed point of contact inside the bore. How this will affect the cp's fitting is unknown until a real repair use is carried out as this cp is from a scrap quartz movement,  i did choose the largest i could find. I am unsure if the indents have to made at a specific point along the cp length to match up with a detail on the center wheel arbor. Any extra info would be appreciated 😊 

20220911_175116.jpg

13 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hello again I'm back 🤦‍♂️ here to add regards to the cannon pinion tightener. Just had a ten mins play. 1 cannon pinion, 1 smoothing broach,  1 re -applied function nail clipper.  Cp  slid along a hand spun  broach until the broach grabbed the cp and spun the cp. Broach then  marked at this point. Cp in cp nipper, cp nipped to a visible nipping indent. Cp again slid along hund spun broach until broach again grabbed and spun cp . Broach marked. A definite reduction to the inner bore is made. The  indents made were more of a lengthy bend as opposed to a sharp detailed point of contact inside the bore. How this will affect the cp's fitting is unknown until a real repair use is carried out as this cp is from a scrap quartz movement,  i did choose the largest i could find. I am unsure if the indents have to made at a specific point along the cp length to match up with a detail on the center wheel arbor. Any extra info would be appreciated 😊 

20220911_175116.jpg

I feel i have just answered my own question.  🙄 . Which also shows how much attention i have paid to the inside bore of a cannon pinion and the detailing on a center wheel arbor . 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

8 minutes ago, dadistic said:

Did you dull the blades or use them as found?

I thought i would try them as is first. Easier to soften the edge than have to resharpen them. I'm thinking a support inside the bore to reduce bending and increase sharp detailing. I was tempted to nip the cp up while it was on the broach but i didn't want to ruin the broach, i will look for something else to use.

4 minutes ago, Shane said:

256488959_16629071864423332235318420489482.thumb.jpg.f559903a3b6849d8da83c8901690e6702.jpg.1facb13a67c4f3a3ba97dcba089fd9be.jpg

@Neverenoughwatches any chance you could put a machine screw in from the bottom as an adjustable stop.  I would round the end to a full hemisphere.  That would make adjustments much easier.

Shane 

I would think i could do that and was thinking about that initially shane but wasn't completely convinced it was necessary. The lever action on the cutter does provide good pressure control. I trialled it under a microscope and was able to see very clearly the effect it was having on the cannon pinion. I am curious to know the comparison between  a dedicated tool. I am unsure as to how a professionally tightened CP would look inside.

Hectors design is the modded one and is a deal safer than a raw cutter,  a piece of brass/Copper wire (Tapered) inside the Cp is best as its soft enough to allow a decent indent without cutting the CP.  It should be noted that the adjustment is done by degrees and test fitted after every try.   I mounted my clipper on a wooden block to provide a stable base and makes the one handed operation easier.  You will probably find the square jawed clippers better instead of the curved jaw ones.  I believe they are for Toe nails and the curved are for finger nails. Available from any chemist/Apothacarys shop. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hectors design is the modded one and is a deal safer than a raw cutter,  a piece of brass/Copper wire (Tapered) inside the Cp is best as its soft enough to allow a decent indent without cutting the CP.  It should be noted that the adjustment is done by degrees and test fitted after every try.   I mounted my clipper on a wooden block to provide a stable base and makes the one handed operation easier.  You will probably find the square jawed clippers better instead of the curved jaw ones.  I believe they are for Toe nails and the curved are for finger nails. Available from any chemist/Apothacarys shop. 

Hi ww. Yes the one i bought is curved and a bit larger than i would have liked. I will take your advice and  get a square edged one. I like the idea of the copper insert. I do have a reel of .7mm that i aquired for making dial feet. I have noticed that only 2 trials have started to damaged the jaws. Incidentally the dedicated tool i bought last week works extremely well, with very good adjustment and a creates a perfect indent inside the bore. In respect to my previous enquiry does the indent have to be at a specific point to suit the extended arbor on the center wheel ?

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

In respect to my previous enquiry does the indent have to be at a specific point to suit the extended arbor on the center wheel ?

I would say it depends on the detail on the center shaft.  Best to make that determination on a case by case basis.

Shane

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shane said:

I would say it depends on the detail on the center shaft.  Best to make that determination on a case by case basis.

Shane

Thanks Shane. Its something i will have to start looking at. I am assuming the internal indent slots over the ridges on a CW arbor creating its lock on the arbor. Tbh its not something I've ever taken much notice of. Its not until you have an issue.

29 minutes ago, dadistic said:

This is an illustration from Fried's Watch Repairer's Manual. hopefully it's clear enough that you can get an idea of where to place the nick. This book has a whole chapter on adjusting cannon pinions, well worth getting if you run across a copy.

IMG_20220912_102245.thumb.jpg.7c14c24620e6c162cff6af51224a68b5.jpg

Thanks Dave, a useful piece of information. I thought there might be a staking accessory to do the job.