The Joy Of Watch Repair

Which of the following gives you the most ecstatic feeling? [emoji23]

o "One more turn and it's all in!" - winding the mainspring into the barrel by hand

o "Fourth wheel in... Third wheel in... Escapement wheel in... And they are all turning freely! Wee!" - aligning the train gears into their jewels

o "swing please... Swing please... Yes!" - installing and seeing the balance assembly swing into action

o "0s/day...0.0ms...270 degrees... Straight line... Not bad!" - after regulating the watch

o "Such a pretty watch!" - admiring the assembled watch head without strap on wrist while still wearing finger cots

o "You know what? I fixed this myself!" - telling your wife/children/friend your new hobby

o "I can watch all these videos all day!" - gets popcorn and sit in front of the computer to watch Mark's videos

• Like 2

Best feeling...

'the click as the last pivot falls into place'

Worst feeling...

'the click as you tighten down the train bridge screw (means you've broken a pivot)'

'the 'oooHH sh!t' feeling when the watch you're working on hits your lap on the way to the floor'

Anil

• Like 2

Balance in and instant start for me! :)

Same for me !

Nothing is more depressing than doing all the dis-assembly, getting the parts fixed and cleaned, putting it all together and when the balance goes in, nothing happens...

• Like 1

I would have to go with when you drop that balance in and it comes to life on its own..

the worst is finishing up a restored watch and as you rubbing off something on the train bridge with some rodico and your thumb hits the balance and you here a click and realized you just broke your balance staff... I walked away from my shop for a few days after that one..

• Like 4

Balance in and instant start for me! :)

Id have to agree with Geo, that is always a guilty pleasure for me.

Personally for me its discipline of patience, patience , and more patience. Perfecting each stage and giving my very best efforts & concentration into each part. Hand polishing alone can take days or even weeks, but results are worth it.

• Like 2

Id have to agree with Geo, that is always a guilty pleasure for me.

Personally for me its discipline of patience, patience , and more patience. Perfecting each stage and giving my very best efforts & concentration into each part. Hand polishing alone can take days or even weeks, but results are worth it.

I agree! And I should have added that aspect of watch repair. At this stage of acquiring skills, I tend to focus on servicing the movement. But I guess knowing how to handle crystals, watch cases are just as important... And satisfying!
  • Like 1

First swing of the balance has to be right up there, but what about that feeling when you finally track down that elusive part after 3 hours on the Internet?

S

I know the feeling! I once had a need for several parts of a movement but had a hard time finding all of them, not to mention the cost has between piling up. But when I saw someone selling the same movement albeit not working and for repair, I gambled and grabbed the item. With my fingers crossed I waited for the movement to arrive, hoping at least the parts I needed are in good condition. Fortunately, the gamble paid off! Happiness!

For me finding the reason for a fault & fixing that fault.  A real sense of achievement :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

When a customer would say I've had this watch or clock repaired, I've taken it back many times and it still doesn't work. When you repair the fault and knowing it is going to be satisfactory. That would be one of my best feelings, because you know next time the person wants something repaired there more likely to bring it to you then to take it elsewhere. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For me finding the reason for a fault & fixing that fault. A real sense of achievement :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

That's me too. And when the reading on the timegrapher is perfect after fine tuning the hairspring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1