Part Sourcing Video - Very Comprehensive!

Drew

There is a fairly new YT channel currently called "Its about time" (previously called It's about f*****g time). The poster of the videos is named Alex Hamilton, and is a watchmaker in North Carolina. He has quite a few videos directed mostly to the new watchmaker and hobbyist. Some of them are very insightful.

His current video goes into great detail on how to source parts. Parts for every era of movement. I wanted to share this with the community in case folks like me have a hard time looking for parts. Several of the web pages he highlights were known to me, but there were several that I was unaware of.

I am still in the early stages of learning this awesome trade/hobby. I have been known from time to time to lose parts.... lots of parts. I then spend days looking for those parts and it does get tedious... I know... Stop losing those parts. Im working on it LOL

Here is the link to the video and I hope others find it as useful as I did. Good Luck 😃

"IT'S ABOUT TIME" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Moving to correct sub-forum.

----

Why is this happening?

Please don't be offended - from time to time, in an attempt to keep WRT organized, we need to move threads to another area more suited to the subject of that thread. Members can help the forum staff by checking for a suitable sub-forum before posting as this will help to reduce their admin workload.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

(previously called It's about f*****g time).

Thanks for the post Drew! I have watched a couple of his early ones but I mostly watch YT on the big TV and I don't login there and tend not to intentionally watch YT while I'm on the computer (where I'm logged in and have access to my saved YT channels).

I'll take a look at this one tomorrow.

He also has one that discusses "How to Buy a Watch to Repair" - which might have some good advice for new hobbyists trying to minimize the eBay crap shoot.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

There is a fairly new YT channel currently called "Its about time" (previously called It's about f*****g time). The poster of the videos is named Alex Hamilton, and is a watchmaker in North Carolina. He has quite a few videos directed mostly to the new watchmaker and hobbyist. Some of them are very insightful.

His current video goes into great detail on how to source parts. Parts for every era of movement. I wanted to share this with the community in case folks like me have a hard time looking for parts. Several of the web pages he highlights were known to me, but there were several that I was unaware of.

I am still in the early stages of learning this awesome trade/hobby. I have been known from time to time to lose parts.... lots of parts. I then spend days looking for those parts and it does get tedious... I know... Stop losing those parts. Im working on it LOL

Here is the link to the video and I hope others find it as useful as I did. Good Luck 😃

"IT'S ABOUT TIME" 

Hi Drew . Alex is pretty good at explaining things 👍. Very down to earth 😅, i did quite enjoy his straight talking with language to match. That seems to have changed recently along with the title, possibly to appeal to a larger audience.  Its not to everyones tastes , Nekkid is similar but does come very close to the knuckle, he came out with one i had playing last night while i was repairing that made me turn to a double take at my computer screen and think  # Joe wtf # but i did  laugh. 😆

12 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Thanks for the post Drew! I have watched a couple of his early ones but I mostly watch YT on the big TV and I don't login there and tend not to intentionally watch YT while I'm on the computer (where I'm logged in and have access to my saved YT channels).

I'll take a look at this one tomorrow.

He also has one that discusses "How to Buy a Watch to Repair" - which might have some good advice for new hobbyists trying to minimize the eBay crap shoot.

I have seen that video. Good stuff for us newer hobbyists on not to make too many mistakes, when buying used watches. I forget who mentioned him, but I heard about Alex from this forum. I started watching his videos and I like his easy manner and his common sense tips. 

12 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hi Drew . Alex is pretty good at explaining things 👍. Very down to earth 😅, i did quite enjoy his straight talking with language to match. That seems to have changed recently along with the title, possibly to appeal to a larger audience.  Its not to everyones tastes , Nekkid is similar but does come very close to the knuckle, he came out with one i had playing last night while i was repairing that made me turn to a double take at my computer screen and think  # Joe wtf # but i did  laugh. 😆

I am am a big fan of Joe's (nekkid), as well. I really enjoy his videos. 

Good Luck to everyone 😃

• Like 1

I just watched #17 & #18 and added some new resources to my links. I also ordered a copy of the Illustrated Manual of American Watch Movements.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I am am a big fan of Joe's (nekkid)

Me too. I think Joe's virtually the only guy to do any serious case/bracelet refinishing. He's pretty humorous as well.

I also really like Stian Lofstad at https://www.youtube.com/c/VintageWatchServices

2 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

I just watched #17 & #18 and added some new resources to my links. I also ordered a copy of the Illustrated Manual of American Watch Movements.

Me too. I think Joe's virtually the only guy to do any serious case/bracelet refinishing. He's pretty humorous as well.

I also really like Stian Lofstad at https://www.youtube.com/c/VintageWatchServices

I like Stian, too! I especially like (typically) his little history lessons on each of the watches he works on. I always learn something new when i watch one of his videos. 

• Like 1