French clock

Willow

Hi everyone, hope you are all well.I am having problem with this French clock as soon as i put the pallets into the pivot where this adjusting screw is, sorry don't know the name of this part the train will not turn, i found this out after starting with the barrel and working up the train to the pallets if someone has turned this screw and i hasten to add it wasn't  me,would this be the cause of the problem and how do i go about rectifying this.

Thank you.

IMG_20220910_103518495_MP.jpg

IMG_20220910_103618197_MP.jpg

Hi Willow  as you look at the screw there is a slot in the back plate align the screw slot with this and then try again. normally these screws are factory set and do not need adjusting as the depth is set up. If some one has turned it it begs the question ,why,  the "Brocot" escapement is usually very good unless its been worked on by some one.  You have basically to reset the depth on the lockings on the pallet, check the pallet surfaces are not worn or chipped and highly polished (mirror finish). Fit the pallet anchor assembly and wit a couple of turns on the spring check the action and adjust untill it locks and unlocks then try the clock for running. Might take a bit of time going bit by bit.  all the best   

• Thanks 1

Hi willow, just be careful when moving the adjuster they are usually very tight primarily because they are factory,  set use a good well fitting screwdriver to avoid slippage. As you see the screw adjuster is circular and the bearing is on the side any adjustment will go up/down in an arc. If as we suspect its been moved the lateral and vertical positions have been compromised. put a small dot in the position it is now and when refitted check the action and adjust accordingly.   all the best.

Hi willow  have a look at this bit of reading might be of some help.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrIAX8ZKx9jqRAApUF3Bwx.;_ylu=Y29sbwMEcG9zAzYEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Ny/RV=2/RE=1663015834/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.abbeyclock.com%2faeb7.html/RK=2/RS=jZ9ZEnYKNW2O2x8OI7jRBYPbnOU-

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi willow, just be careful when moving the adjuster they are usually very tight primarily because they are factory,  set use a good well fitting screwdriver to avoid slippage. As you see the screw adjuster is circular and the bearing is on the side any adjustment will go up/down in an arc. If as we suspect its been moved the lateral and vertical positions have been compromised. put a small dot in the position it is now and when refitted check the action and adjust accordingly.   all the best.

Hi willow  have a look at this bit of reading might be of some help.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrIAX8ZKx9jqRAApUF3Bwx.;_ylu=Y29sbwMEcG9zAzYEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Ny/RV=2/RE=1663015834/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.abbeyclock.com%2faeb7.html/RK=2/RS=jZ9ZEnYKNW2O2x8OI7jRBYPbnOU-

Thanks for that watchweasol great bit of information pallets unlocking now, clock running just needs a bit of adjusting as it stops after  5 mins but making progress .

If it is stopping because of the escapement check all the pivot holes for the escapement, pivots and burr on the escape wheel and the angle  of escapement the pallets also need to be smooth with no marks or signs of wear. I can't tell by the photos but many clocks with this type of escapement the crutch is friction tight, so it has to be tight enough for it to work, too lose and it will stop, to tight and it won't set its self in beat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi willow   with it being a deadbeat(Graham) escapement (no recoil) it has to be right, The diagnostic path as laid down by Old Hippy has to be followed and all points checked. A recoil escapement gets a bit of help from the recoil and can overcome little problems like slightly out of beat or locking. Its a question of patience and dilligence.   all rhe best

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, oldhippy said:

If it is stopping because of the escapement check all the pivot holes for the escapement, pivots and burr on the escape wheel and the angle  of escapement the pallets also need to be smooth with no marks or signs of wear. I can't tell by the photos but many clocks with this type of escapement the crutch is friction tight, so it has to be tight enough for it to work, too lose and it will stop, to tight and it won't set its self in beat. 

Hi oldhippy, the crutch on this clock screws on and off, away at the moment will check when i get back thanks.

• 2 weeks later...