1 hour ago, LeCorbusier said:

Yes I have a staking set ... The setting lever looks very similar ... but it doesn't have the spring at all.

I will see if I can extract dims from the staff and take it from there I think ... if it doesn't match I can always search for one that does I suppose.

This is the main reason i will be learning to repivot a staff. Much practise will be needed i am sure. At 55 I'm expecting to have the skill and technique down by full retirement age. My eyesight will then be too crap to use that skill 🙄 

it will certainly be an interesting challenge ... no idea how things will go ... but currently its broken so apart from trashing the new staff (assuming I can track down an appropriate one) I can't really make matters worse. Re-studding the hair spring and fabricating the wedge pin was a similar challenge and one which I would rather not do very often.

• 3 months later...

I am coming back to this after putting away for a while to take stock. I am still trying to work out how to get the dims of the right balance staff with the pivots broken. My current plan is to remove the cap jewel from the cock and take a measurement from the cock to the face side of the plate and then subtract the thickness of the plate cap jewel. That should in theory give an accurate dim  from face of jewel to face of jewel ... am concerned that it doesn't allow for end shake tho. any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated. I was then going to see what was catalogued at Balancestaffs.com and see if there is a match for an AS staff and what ligne that would compare to?