Old Pocket Watch ID

wudce

Hello Folks! It's been sometime since I last posted anything had to take a long break from watch making. Was given this old pocket watch and I was surprised that it wound and run at all since after taking a closes look at it and seeing how gunk up it was. So far I not ID it 100% but when I first seen it was thinking it was a old Waltham. I did some digging but did not find much on Langendorf watches other than Langendorf is the name of a town in Switzerland and that company was the biggest maker of Swiss movements in its day. So what I found on the watch was Steward 15 jewels Langendorf W CO. Swiss on the motion side and on Keyless side 833930 which would be a  serial number I'm guessing  but so far not no sure. As always thanks for any help.

Cheer! Paul

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG

Hi Paul,

It would help to know the diameter. There are approximately 90 variations of Langendorf calibers shown on Dr. Ranfft's web site. Knowing the diameter and any numbers would help narrow the search. You should be able to match both your dial side and train side images to one of the watch movements shown there. Type "Langendorf" into the search box.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk

ranfft langendorf.jpg

Edited by grsnovi
forgot to add link to ranfft

I have look there but did not see this calibers unless I miss it and that page only listed one open face watch and that's not this one also don't see any with this type of keyless works. Anyways  this is a open face pocket watch and the OD is 39 mm and the only number found was what was in my first post which is 833930 also this has the split winding stem. I did find one like it case and dial looks about the same and the motion side looks about right bid says 6J but that's not helping much since there no 6J showing on the  ranfft site.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193775885740?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=193775885740&targetid=1263433206854&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9010006&poi=&campaignid=16190447015&mkgroupid=128435277530&rlsatarget=pla-1263433206854&abcId=9300820&merchantid=108984430&gclid=Cj0KCQjwguGYBhDRARIsAHgRm49iBG1v8kjjLFw078lcAsaf7x_u-nBtP4MH32nhfWcRvKNqQB-ikRAaAl4CEALw_wcB

Edited by wudce

5 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Have you had a look on the "pocketwatchdatabase.com" site. If you have a maker and serial number you should be able with luck , to ID the watch.

the problem with the pocketwatch database is it's based on parts catalogs. This means typically the watches are American the company had to be big enough to actually have a parts catalog.

4 hours ago, grsnovi said:

.just not which. I wonder if sending your images to Dr. Ranfft would help him? He must have "holes" in his database.

I don't know about Dr. Ranfft  website but I know the pocketwatch database I think you can submit pictures. The problem is there are so many unidentified watches out there

• Like 2

Moving to correct sub-forum.

----

Why is this happening?

Please don't be offended - from time to time, in an attempt to keep WRT organized, we need to move threads to another area more suited to the subject of that thread. Members can help the forum staff by checking for a suitable sub-forum before posting as this will help to reduce their admin workload.