Very low amplitude

3 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

Problem is not only with this watch. It's every one that I do. All are low amplitude. Therefore it has to be me. Everything is always good up to the insert of the balance cock. Has to be the way I take the balance off initially. Therefore. Practice, practice.

the problem is as you've identified it's something that you're not doing right. Then practicing is not helping because you're practicing to do things wrong it's why we are in an endless loop here of not solving the problem. It's why you've changed the balance wheel how many times you've clean this watch how many times and you're still having the same problem because you're practicing your mistakes. Until we figure out what the problem is you can practice forever but you're never going to solve the problem.

Then I wouldn't assume anything unless we hit a video of how you take the balance out maybe should explain that more clearly. Or set up a camera somewhere in record a little video show us how you do it.

The other thing that happens here is it's why tell everybody to start with a running clone of a 6497. Verify on your timing machine that it's running and working correctly. Then disassemble and reassemble if it's not working correctly then it's something you did. The problem with fixing broken watches are you have to correctly diagnose the problem and fix the problem. But if you're new to watch repair and you think cleaning fixes all the problems then you're still going to have a watch that doesn't run.

So ideally it be nice if we could figure out why this watch is running. Figure out what you're doing it right or wrong so that you can learn a new method of doing it and practice that.

• Like 1

…to add another check point- what’s it look like on the plate under the balance cock? A bunch of digging and scratching fr a previous service perhaps?  Maybe also check the oscillation with the cock screw loose/absent?

Edited by rehajm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ross, where you live isn't so remote. Maybe there are more experienced people not too far away who would be prepared to look over your shoulder? Maybe join the BHI and meet up with the branch in Scotland? I'm with John on this. Practice, practice, practice is not going to remove your mistakes. If anything, it will reinforce them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Klassiker said:

Maybe join the BHI and meet up with the branch in Scotland?

then out of curiosity I looked and there is a Scottish branch the BHI. They even have a website at the link below they appear to have meetings in Edinburgh which I don't have a good feel for looking at the Google map of how long it would take the drive there. I suppose I could ask Google but Google's always a bit silly on how long it takes to go from one place to another I think it's sometimes forgets there is traffic lights obstacles and other stuff in the way. On the other hand may be could take a train. Usually with groups and associations if you send an email or reach out you can come to the first meeting to see what things are like. It also looks like they're trying to do is zoom meetings which personally I find yes if there's nothing else but physical meetings are usually much better.

amusing the things you find onlineit looks like you can travel by bus train or driving with driving being the cheapest and the fastest.at one hour and 31 minutes. but just as I thought check different websites and cheaper driving cost for the same distance? But driving time almost 2 hours.

https://bhiscotland.com/

• Thanks 1

I would put the driving time closer to 2 hours from Ardrossan to central Edinburgh. I would no longer drive into central Edinburgh, the city council have removed thousands of parking spaces from the city centre and it is now a nightmare trying to find a space not to mention very expensive. If I was coming from Ardrossan by car I would drive to Livingston north railway station and finish the journey by train.

hope this helps 

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2023 at 12:23 PM, rossjackson01 said:

I'm usually 5 to 10 seconds if I am lucky. 

I've decided to go back to the drawing board. Going to start again from scratch. Disassemble, clean, lubricate and assemble every watch in order. Do each one in full before I move on. Give myself another 6 month to get the system correct. 

Ross

My criteria is 'good' movement after 30s (say 120-180°) and some movement after 60s.

This is just the balance with the pallet removed. I assume your 5-10s is with pallets removed?

If not, something is seriously wrong with the balance - e.g. bent pivots.

Don't give up Ross, even after many years I still have problems finding the cause of low amplitude -  I have one at the moment!

I have a Seiko 7002 Diver, and despite stripping, cleaning, examining 4 times I couldn't get the amplitude above 230° (not too bad for a Seiko). The balance, gear train, barrel all ran freely. Under the microscope I found some wear on a jewel on the end of the 3rd wheel. Not much wear at the jewel, but that's a bigger movement at the edge of the wheel. Change the jewel = 260°.  It didn't really show up when blowing the gear train with a puffer, only when there was load from the mainspring on it.

Work through and examine every part methodically.

One thing I've learnt It's rarely the mainspring - even what looks like a completely knackered one can give reasonable amplitude - a slight push on the edge of the barrel will show if it's the problem.   More often it's due to wear of the barrel arbor pivots or arbor too tight in the barrel. 

Keep going - we're here to support you 😀

Edited by mikepilk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1