National Electric Watch Cleaning Machine

Hi

I have an old (very old!) watch cleaning machine that has recently been sparking a lot from the motor and cutting out. I took out the carbon brushes which are worn away - photos below. Given the age of the motor I don't see the point looking for genuine replacements, I thought I could get some generic off EBay or use some spares from another motor and shape to fit. I've no idea how long they should be though, and whether it matters providing they fit. Can anyone advise me? Thanks.

Stephen

post-373-0-35227300-1434870698_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-01046500-1434870714_thumb.jpg

With the colour and the timer in the base, It looks so like the Elma I bought recently. :)

It'll soooooon be Friday! ;)

Right on Geo, it's very Elma like in structure and appearance. I really pleased about the condition, almost "NOS" in watch terms. Can't wait for it to arrive.

And I can't wait until Fridayyyyyyyyyyy!!!

• Like 1

Arrived today, just managed to get home and catch the courier.

Unpacking is the best part 

Cleaning up is the worst part.

I'm amazed and pleased with the condition, it really is as good as brand new, still has all of the parts and even the instruction leaflet.

With formal Retirement Day tomorrow I'm looking forward to this weekend when I can do some serious work with this.

post-1141-0-71725300-1435803389_thumb.jp

Well done Jim.

Of all the purchases I have made the best is without doubt the cleaning machine. I had an L&R refurbished *

Cleaning is now almost a pleasure. If I have a really dirty watch I give it a pre-clean first & it saves the cleaning solutions. 

PS Enjoy your retirement 

I bet you can't wait to get started. Have you got the cleaner and rinse? what are you going to use.  Looks a fine machine.

I'm ready to go, but don't have any cleaning fluid left. Got 4 litres of Zenith "Drizebrite" rinse and waiting on a delivery of L&R Extra Fine Watch Cleaner. But it has to come from Brisbane by road, 1,700 kilometres away, hopefully here tomorrow or Monday.

I looked at all of the wiring and it's an eye opener. Everything is well insulated (1950s style) and as we say in Oz, "built like a brick sh!thouse".

The three jars had a lot of dried residue in the so I put them in the dishwasher. They came out like new, all sparky clean!

I just hope Annie doesn't notice the slight chemical smell in the dishwasher, maybe I'll get one of those lemon scented things and slip it in there tomorrow  :D  

More to come..............................

• Like 2

I'm ready to go, but don't have any cleaning fluid left. Got 4 litres of Zenith "Drizebrite" rinse and waiting on a delivery of L&R Extra Fine Watch Cleaner. But it has to come from Brisbane by road, 1,700 kilometres away, hopefully here tomorrow or Monday.

I looked at all of the wiring and it's an eye opener. Everything is well insulated (1950s style) and as we say in Oz, "built like a brick sh!thouse".

The three jars had a lot of dried residue in the so I put them in the dishwasher. They came out like new, all sparky clean!

I just hope Annie doesn't notice the slight chemical smell in the dishwasher, maybe I'll get one of those lemon scented things and slip it in there tomorrow  :D  

More to come..............................

Did the same had to run the dishwasher with dishwasher cleaner to get id of the smell before you know who found out  :D

Saturday here, the other half was taking her God-daughter to the flicks so I had the place to myself.

I received the 4 litres of L&R  yesterday so this morning I charged two jars with L&R and one with the Zenith rinse.

I had a movement stripped down so I filled the little baskets (even the cap jewels) and started the test.

Ran 5 minutes on the first clean and spun off the liquid and then into the second clean for 5 minutes, and then on to the rinse for a couple of minutes and into the dryer.

Aside from seeing wisps of smoke coming from beneath the machine (immediate "kill power" enacted) there were no problems. I think the smoke was either some fluff and dust I hadn't managed to blow out or possibly some rinse dripped down onto the heater plate. I'll make sure I spin after the rinse a bit longer next time.

Final result?

All parts nice and clean (even under the 'scope) so I'm very pleased with the outcome.

My next test will be to clean a Seiko 6309 movement that hasn't see a screwdriver for about 30 years.

All in all, a good outcome.