1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

…Is there any way  to fit a switch that can reverse the polarity to the motor ?

Sure! But first I’m going to test the cyclon action of this cheap machine with the sound wave action of my ultrasonic cleaner. I expect the cyclon being more effective than the ultra sonic (which left me disappointed sometimes).

Edited by Kalanag

39 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

Sure! But first I’m going to test the cyclon action of this cheap machine with the sound wave action of my ultrasonic cleaner. I expect the cyclon being more effective than the ultra sonic (which left me disappointed sometimes).

Such a cheap simple effective cleaning machine. Ok there is a bit more labour and time involved by having to manually change the cleaning and rinsing mediums . But apart from that it puts expensive machines to shame. And for the cost of what $100 you could have a few of these on the go if you want multiple watch cleaning. I have been looking at the same motors but much slower rpms to turn a watch case while plating.  These motors are pennies and most of them have  voltage ranges between 3 and 12 volts so variable speeds, some as slow as one revolution per second ideal for plating. Thanks for adding to this Kalanag, a great upgrade on mine 👍. What about an empty heated jar for drying ?

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

Hi all - here are some photos and description of my v1 diy watch cleaning machine. It is made of bits and bobs from the garage, dollar store, and amazon.

I should first note that after much googling, what I made was directly inspired by a thread on reddit I came across by chance - here - https://www.reddit.com/r/watchrepair/comments/vk00i1/a_simple_watch_cleaning_machine/

Prices included below are in Canadian dollars.

The frame of the machine is a lab support stand from Amazon. I was lucky to get this from warehouse deals for $18.89. Regular price is around $50, so a bit pricey. On the bottom of the stand I laser cut a holder from dollar store MDF (I think they call it 'craft board' to fit the jars I also got from the dollar store.

I was hoping to use mason jars for the height and the nice sealing lids, as in the reddit thread, but the nice parts basket he used there was too expensive for me to order in Canada. I instead used wide mouth jars from the dollar store, I think they were $2.50 each.

To load the parts, I have a pencil holder from the dollar store (~$1.50?) into which I have a bunch of pieces of stainless steel mesh ($20, amazon, for 5 sheets). I do not understand why formed products are so expensive (eg. the real baskets for watch cleaning machines). I cut a hole with a hole saw in a piece of wood and forced the mesh through with the cutout to make the rough 'baskets'. Not the nicest, but what I have at the moment for v1.

Continued below as I think I can only attach 4 photos.

Photo Sep 18, 8 38 29 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 41 41 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 39 05 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 39 26 PM.jpg

Starting off here with the amazon stainless steel mesh product and the wood used to form the baskets. Some cut up pieces folded over inside to make compartments. I tried to solder these in place but that was a failure. So at the moment they are just set in there, and do move around.

I think I will end up ordering some of those tiny little mesh baskets with lids - I have seen them for a reasonable price on etsy, of all places. Also I saw the parts basket used in the reddit thread on etsy for a more reasonable price as well, so may order to give it a try.

The lab stand came with the clamp and gripper. In the gripper I have squeezed a 12v dc motor. Amazon, $15. It is 200 RPM. You can get these for extremely cheap on aliexpress, but I didn't want to wait for the shipping. I have subsequently ordered/received a 500 rpm motor from aliexpress - my thought was to use a potentiometer to slow it down, but have the extra speed to spin between wash/rinse/rinse. I think that the 200rpm is nice for cleaning but it doesn't do a good enough job with centrifugal force to get the first cleaner out, puts soap into my 1st rinse. Maybe my DIY solution just isn't the best.

I have a flexible coupling, 4mm (on the motor side) to 5mm (approx diameter of the bolt I am using, I did have to add a bit of tape) to connect things up. At the bottom of the bolt there is a piece of aluminum, drilled so I can screw the pencil holder on, once loaded. A bit of a pain, but not like I am doing it all of the time. In a future version if I get that nice basket I may use little spring clips to grab its handle.

Photo Sep 18, 8 39 31 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 39 42 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 41 49 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 43 36 PM.jpg

Couple more photos of my current attachment method.

I should note that I lost two parts from the basket when cleaning. One was the click spring - was at the bottom of 1st cleaner jar. So tiny it slipped through even the fine stainless mesh. The other was a spacer that Raketa uses on their balance bridge - it fell into where the pencil holder mesh meets the bottom and it was only luck that I happened to see it in there, shining a light. Another reason to switch to those little baskets with lids, I think.

To control the machine, I have a pre-built controller, same as the redditor used ($20, amazon. I think it would have been close to the same price from aliexpress). It has multiple modes, but the one I found useful is where you can set time for direction one, stop time, time for reverse direction, and how many times this repeats. I have this on a little box I lasered, the redditor is just running it out in the open. It is dual power supply - a nice barrel plug for 5V, or can take up to 24v.

When the DC motor stops to change direction, it is very sudden. I would like to get a litlte circuit for slow start/stop, but haven't been able to find if these exist. I don't have the know-how to build myself, only to wire up something someone else has built. I like how the mastermatic is nice and easy when it changes direction.

I think that is all the detail I can think to note at this time. Hope this helps someone or gives some ideas.

Photo Sep 18, 8 43 38 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 43 40 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 44 45 PM.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Charette said:

Hi all - here are some photos and description of my v1 diy watch cleaning machine. It is made of bits and bobs from the garage, dollar store, and amazon.

I should first note that after much googling, what I made was directly inspired by a thread on reddit I came across by chance - here - https://www.reddit.com/r/watchrepair/comments/vk00i1/a_simple_watch_cleaning_machine/

Prices included below are in Canadian dollars.

The frame of the machine is a lab support stand from Amazon. I was lucky to get this from warehouse deals for $18.89. Regular price is around $50, so a bit pricey. On the bottom of the stand I laser cut a holder from dollar store MDF (I think they call it 'craft board' to fit the jars I also got from the dollar store.

I was hoping to use mason jars for the height and the nice sealing lids, as in the reddit thread, but the nice parts basket he used there was too expensive for me to order in Canada. I instead used wide mouth jars from the dollar store, I think they were $2.50 each.

To load the parts, I have a pencil holder from the dollar store (~$1.50?) into which I have a bunch of pieces of stainless steel mesh ($20, amazon, for 5 sheets). I do not understand why formed products are so expensive (eg. the real baskets for watch cleaning machines). I cut a hole with a hole saw in a piece of wood and forced the mesh through with the cutout to make the rough 'baskets'. Not the nicest, but what I have at the moment for v1.

Continued below as I think I can only attach 4 photos.

Photo Sep 18, 8 38 29 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 41 41 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 39 05 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 39 26 PM.jpg

Starting off here with the amazon stainless steel mesh product and the wood used to form the baskets. Some cut up pieces folded over inside to make compartments. I tried to solder these in place but that was a failure. So at the moment they are just set in there, and do move around.

I think I will end up ordering some of those tiny little mesh baskets with lids - I have seen them for a reasonable price on etsy, of all places. Also I saw the parts basket used in the reddit thread on etsy for a more reasonable price as well, so may order to give it a try.

The lab stand came with the clamp and gripper. In the gripper I have squeezed a 12v dc motor. Amazon, $15. It is 200 RPM. You can get these for extremely cheap on aliexpress, but I didn't want to wait for the shipping. I have subsequently ordered/received a 500 rpm motor from aliexpress - my thought was to use a potentiometer to slow it down, but have the extra speed to spin between wash/rinse/rinse. I think that the 200rpm is nice for cleaning but it doesn't do a good enough job with centrifugal force to get the first cleaner out, puts soap into my 1st rinse. Maybe my DIY solution just isn't the best.

I have a flexible coupling, 4mm (on the motor side) to 5mm (approx diameter of the bolt I am using, I did have to add a bit of tape) to connect things up. At the bottom of the bolt there is a piece of aluminum, drilled so I can screw the pencil holder on, once loaded. A bit of a pain, but not like I am doing it all of the time. In a future version if I get that nice basket I may use little spring clips to grab its handle.

Photo Sep 18, 8 39 31 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 39 42 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 41 49 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 43 36 PM.jpg

Couple more photos of my current attachment method.

I should note that I lost two parts from the basket when cleaning. One was the click spring - was at the bottom of 1st cleaner jar. So tiny it slipped through even the fine stainless mesh. The other was a spacer that Raketa uses on their balance bridge - it fell into where the pencil holder mesh meets the bottom and it was only luck that I happened to see it in there, shining a light. Another reason to switch to those little baskets with lids, I think.

To control the machine, I have a pre-built controller, same as the redditor used ($20, amazon. I think it would have been close to the same price from aliexpress). It has multiple modes, but the one I found useful is where you can set time for direction one, stop time, time for reverse direction, and how many times this repeats. I have this on a little box I lasered, the redditor is just running it out in the open. It is dual power supply - a nice barrel plug for 5V, or can take up to 24v.

When the DC motor stops to change direction, it is very sudden. I would like to get a litlte circuit for slow start/stop, but haven't been able to find if these exist. I don't have the know-how to build myself, only to wire up something someone else has built. I like how the mastermatic is nice and easy when it changes direction.

I think that is all the detail I can think to note at this time. Hope this helps someone or gives some ideas.

Photo Sep 18, 8 43 38 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 43 40 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 44 45 PM.jpg

Great addition charette . Thank you. All these ideas will evolve into the perfect cheap build watch cleaning machine. 👍

6 hours ago, Kalanag said:

Well done! Thanks for sharing! Again it seems to be obvious that the mesh basket is the most difficult to build component. That‘s why I ended up using a tea strainer.

Indeed, I had bought up all of the tea strainers from the local dollar stores, none worked out shape wise. Also tried drain catchers, before bending up the mesh sheet myself. Funnily enough, on aliexpress you can get tea balls for ultrasonic cleaner that are quite expensive - or the exact same product sold as tea balls for cents each. 

• Like 3

SG$ 0.93  60%OFF | 1pc Tea Strainer Leak With Cover Filter Stainless Steel Teapot Leak Filter Fine Mesh Coffee Infuser Reusable Tea Infuser Teaware
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0ML1I8

I got a couple of these from AliExpress but never got down to finishing my rotary cleaner as I find the ultrasonic cleaner pretty effective.

2 hours ago, Charette said:

Indeed, I had bought up all of the tea strainers from the local dollar stores, none worked out shape wise. Also tried drain catchers, before bending up the mesh sheet myself. Funnily enough, on aliexpress you can get tea balls for ultrasonic cleaner that are quite expensive - or the exact same product sold as tea balls for cents each. 

Aye mate. Typical retail. Different name, Different price, same product.  When i hear the term # whats in a name # I always think to myself " the price " 🙁

On 9/17/2022 at 7:19 PM, Kalanag said:

One more DIY machine 😉

The holder is 3D printed.

151CE921-24DB-4EA0-B232-B5C58A206693.thumb.jpeg.9398e29be83dcd7a69c85ad43e77078e.jpeg

And here a short video:

https://youtube.com/shorts/murZNtfE3Kk?feature=share

Update: After a quite disappointing cleaning test I found out that the vortex caused by the rotation of the tea ball lets the liquid rise up at the jar wall and the inside of the ball fall dry. Designing a cleaner is not as easy as I thought 😉

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kalanag said:

Update: After a quite disappointing cleaning test I found out that the vortex caused by the rotation of the tea ball lets the liquid rise up at the jar wall and the inside of the ball fall dry. Designing a cleaner is not as easy as I thought 😉

Prototype the cake mixer 😄