1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

…Is there any way  to fit a switch that can reverse the polarity to the motor ?

Sure! But first I’m going to test the cyclon action of this cheap machine with the sound wave action of my ultrasonic cleaner. I expect the cyclon being more effective than the ultra sonic (which left me disappointed sometimes).

Edited by Kalanag

39 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

Sure! But first I’m going to test the cyclon action of this cheap machine with the sound wave action of my ultrasonic cleaner. I expect the cyclon being more effective than the ultra sonic (which left me disappointed sometimes).

Such a cheap simple effective cleaning machine. Ok there is a bit more labour and time involved by having to manually change the cleaning and rinsing mediums . But apart from that it puts expensive machines to shame. And for the cost of what $100 you could have a few of these on the go if you want multiple watch cleaning. I have been looking at the same motors but much slower rpms to turn a watch case while plating.  These motors are pennies and most of them have  voltage ranges between 3 and 12 volts so variable speeds, some as slow as one revolution per second ideal for plating. Thanks for adding to this Kalanag, a great upgrade on mine 👍. What about an empty heated jar for drying ?

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

Hi all - here are some photos and description of my v1 diy watch cleaning machine. It is made of bits and bobs from the garage, dollar store, and amazon.

I should first note that after much googling, what I made was directly inspired by a thread on reddit I came across by chance - here - https://www.reddit.com/r/watchrepair/comments/vk00i1/a_simple_watch_cleaning_machine/

Prices included below are in Canadian dollars.

The frame of the machine is a lab support stand from Amazon. I was lucky to get this from warehouse deals for $18.89. Regular price is around $50, so a bit pricey. On the bottom of the stand I laser cut a holder from dollar store MDF (I think they call it 'craft board' to fit the jars I also got from the dollar store.

I was hoping to use mason jars for the height and the nice sealing lids, as in the reddit thread, but the nice parts basket he used there was too expensive for me to order in Canada. I instead used wide mouth jars from the dollar store, I think they were $2.50 each.

To load the parts, I have a pencil holder from the dollar store (~$1.50?) into which I have a bunch of pieces of stainless steel mesh ($20, amazon, for 5 sheets). I do not understand why formed products are so expensive (eg. the real baskets for watch cleaning machines). I cut a hole with a hole saw in a piece of wood and forced the mesh through with the cutout to make the rough 'baskets'. Not the nicest, but what I have at the moment for v1.

Continued below as I think I can only attach 4 photos.

Photo Sep 18, 8 38 29 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 41 41 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 39 05 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 39 26 PM.jpg

Starting off here with the amazon stainless steel mesh product and the wood used to form the baskets. Some cut up pieces folded over inside to make compartments. I tried to solder these in place but that was a failure. So at the moment they are just set in there, and do move around.

I think I will end up ordering some of those tiny little mesh baskets with lids - I have seen them for a reasonable price on etsy, of all places. Also I saw the parts basket used in the reddit thread on etsy for a more reasonable price as well, so may order to give it a try.

The lab stand came with the clamp and gripper. In the gripper I have squeezed a 12v dc motor. Amazon, $15. It is 200 RPM. You can get these for extremely cheap on aliexpress, but I didn't want to wait for the shipping. I have subsequently ordered/received a 500 rpm motor from aliexpress - my thought was to use a potentiometer to slow it down, but have the extra speed to spin between wash/rinse/rinse. I think that the 200rpm is nice for cleaning but it doesn't do a good enough job with centrifugal force to get the first cleaner out, puts soap into my 1st rinse. Maybe my DIY solution just isn't the best.

I have a flexible coupling, 4mm (on the motor side) to 5mm (approx diameter of the bolt I am using, I did have to add a bit of tape) to connect things up. At the bottom of the bolt there is a piece of aluminum, drilled so I can screw the pencil holder on, once loaded. A bit of a pain, but not like I am doing it all of the time. In a future version if I get that nice basket I may use little spring clips to grab its handle.

Photo Sep 18, 8 39 31 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 39 42 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 41 49 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 43 36 PM.jpg

Couple more photos of my current attachment method.

I should note that I lost two parts from the basket when cleaning. One was the click spring - was at the bottom of 1st cleaner jar. So tiny it slipped through even the fine stainless mesh. The other was a spacer that Raketa uses on their balance bridge - it fell into where the pencil holder mesh meets the bottom and it was only luck that I happened to see it in there, shining a light. Another reason to switch to those little baskets with lids, I think.

To control the machine, I have a pre-built controller, same as the redditor used ($20, amazon. I think it would have been close to the same price from aliexpress). It has multiple modes, but the one I found useful is where you can set time for direction one, stop time, time for reverse direction, and how many times this repeats. I have this on a little box I lasered, the redditor is just running it out in the open. It is dual power supply - a nice barrel plug for 5V, or can take up to 24v.

When the DC motor stops to change direction, it is very sudden. I would like to get a litlte circuit for slow start/stop, but haven't been able to find if these exist. I don't have the know-how to build myself, only to wire up something someone else has built. I like how the mastermatic is nice and easy when it changes direction.

I think that is all the detail I can think to note at this time. Hope this helps someone or gives some ideas.

Photo Sep 18, 8 43 38 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 43 40 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 44 45 PM.jpg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Charette said:

Hi all - here are some photos and description of my v1 diy watch cleaning machine. It is made of bits and bobs from the garage, dollar store, and amazon.

I should first note that after much googling, what I made was directly inspired by a thread on reddit I came across by chance - here - https://www.reddit.com/r/watchrepair/comments/vk00i1/a_simple_watch_cleaning_machine/

Prices included below are in Canadian dollars.

The frame of the machine is a lab support stand from Amazon. I was lucky to get this from warehouse deals for $18.89. Regular price is around $50, so a bit pricey. On the bottom of the stand I laser cut a holder from dollar store MDF (I think they call it 'craft board' to fit the jars I also got from the dollar store.

I was hoping to use mason jars for the height and the nice sealing lids, as in the reddit thread, but the nice parts basket he used there was too expensive for me to order in Canada. I instead used wide mouth jars from the dollar store, I think they were $2.50 each.

To load the parts, I have a pencil holder from the dollar store (~$1.50?) into which I have a bunch of pieces of stainless steel mesh ($20, amazon, for 5 sheets). I do not understand why formed products are so expensive (eg. the real baskets for watch cleaning machines). I cut a hole with a hole saw in a piece of wood and forced the mesh through with the cutout to make the rough 'baskets'. Not the nicest, but what I have at the moment for v1.

Continued below as I think I can only attach 4 photos.

Photo Sep 18, 8 38 29 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 41 41 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 39 05 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 39 26 PM.jpg

Starting off here with the amazon stainless steel mesh product and the wood used to form the baskets. Some cut up pieces folded over inside to make compartments. I tried to solder these in place but that was a failure. So at the moment they are just set in there, and do move around.

I think I will end up ordering some of those tiny little mesh baskets with lids - I have seen them for a reasonable price on etsy, of all places. Also I saw the parts basket used in the reddit thread on etsy for a more reasonable price as well, so may order to give it a try.

The lab stand came with the clamp and gripper. In the gripper I have squeezed a 12v dc motor. Amazon, $15. It is 200 RPM. You can get these for extremely cheap on aliexpress, but I didn't want to wait for the shipping. I have subsequently ordered/received a 500 rpm motor from aliexpress - my thought was to use a potentiometer to slow it down, but have the extra speed to spin between wash/rinse/rinse. I think that the 200rpm is nice for cleaning but it doesn't do a good enough job with centrifugal force to get the first cleaner out, puts soap into my 1st rinse. Maybe my DIY solution just isn't the best.

I have a flexible coupling, 4mm (on the motor side) to 5mm (approx diameter of the bolt I am using, I did have to add a bit of tape) to connect things up. At the bottom of the bolt there is a piece of aluminum, drilled so I can screw the pencil holder on, once loaded. A bit of a pain, but not like I am doing it all of the time. In a future version if I get that nice basket I may use little spring clips to grab its handle.

Photo Sep 18, 8 39 31 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 39 42 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 41 49 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 43 36 PM.jpg

Couple more photos of my current attachment method.

I should note that I lost two parts from the basket when cleaning. One was the click spring - was at the bottom of 1st cleaner jar. So tiny it slipped through even the fine stainless mesh. The other was a spacer that Raketa uses on their balance bridge - it fell into where the pencil holder mesh meets the bottom and it was only luck that I happened to see it in there, shining a light. Another reason to switch to those little baskets with lids, I think.

To control the machine, I have a pre-built controller, same as the redditor used ($20, amazon. I think it would have been close to the same price from aliexpress). It has multiple modes, but the one I found useful is where you can set time for direction one, stop time, time for reverse direction, and how many times this repeats. I have this on a little box I lasered, the redditor is just running it out in the open. It is dual power supply - a nice barrel plug for 5V, or can take up to 24v.

When the DC motor stops to change direction, it is very sudden. I would like to get a litlte circuit for slow start/stop, but haven't been able to find if these exist. I don't have the know-how to build myself, only to wire up something someone else has built. I like how the mastermatic is nice and easy when it changes direction.

I think that is all the detail I can think to note at this time. Hope this helps someone or gives some ideas.

Photo Sep 18, 8 43 38 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 43 40 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 18, 8 44 45 PM.jpg

Great addition charette . Thank you. All these ideas will evolve into the perfect cheap build watch cleaning machine. 👍

6 hours ago, Kalanag said:

Well done! Thanks for sharing! Again it seems to be obvious that the mesh basket is the most difficult to build component. That‘s why I ended up using a tea strainer.

Indeed, I had bought up all of the tea strainers from the local dollar stores, none worked out shape wise. Also tried drain catchers, before bending up the mesh sheet myself. Funnily enough, on aliexpress you can get tea balls for ultrasonic cleaner that are quite expensive - or the exact same product sold as tea balls for cents each. 

• Like 3

SG$ 0.93  60%OFF | 1pc Tea Strainer Leak With Cover Filter Stainless Steel Teapot Leak Filter Fine Mesh Coffee Infuser Reusable Tea Infuser Teaware
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0ML1I8

I got a couple of these from AliExpress but never got down to finishing my rotary cleaner as I find the ultrasonic cleaner pretty effective.

2 hours ago, Charette said:

Indeed, I had bought up all of the tea strainers from the local dollar stores, none worked out shape wise. Also tried drain catchers, before bending up the mesh sheet myself. Funnily enough, on aliexpress you can get tea balls for ultrasonic cleaner that are quite expensive - or the exact same product sold as tea balls for cents each. 

Aye mate. Typical retail. Different name, Different price, same product.  When i hear the term # whats in a name # I always think to myself " the price " 🙁

On 9/17/2022 at 7:19 PM, Kalanag said:

One more DIY machine 😉

The holder is 3D printed.

151CE921-24DB-4EA0-B232-B5C58A206693.thumb.jpeg.9398e29be83dcd7a69c85ad43e77078e.jpeg

And here a short video:

https://youtube.com/shorts/murZNtfE3Kk?feature=share

Update: After a quite disappointing cleaning test I found out that the vortex caused by the rotation of the tea ball lets the liquid rise up at the jar wall and the inside of the ball fall dry. Designing a cleaner is not as easy as I thought 😉

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kalanag said:

Update: After a quite disappointing cleaning test I found out that the vortex caused by the rotation of the tea ball lets the liquid rise up at the jar wall and the inside of the ball fall dry. Designing a cleaner is not as easy as I thought 😉

Prototype the cake mixer 😄

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to see that my post on Reddit inspired Charette's version of the watch cleaner! I have since added a 3D printed L&R type holder for the baskets. I use a 200rpm DC gearmotor and I think the speed is just right.

I did introduce myself back in March, I think. I have not posted very much because I am able to find most of what I need by searching.

CleanMachine1.jpg

CleanMachine2.jpg

Edited by JackH
Add reference to post
  • Like 4

^^^ that looks great! I was also tempted to 3d print baskets but was worried how the chemicals would affect them. I folded and ordered the Elma baskets and holders this morning. I’m hoping to use a stepper motor to drive the lot with - it should have enough torque and would allow me to have it work bi-directional. We will see if my idea pans out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Jack  a creditable machine well thought out.  Is the basket a DIY job also. Very good.

Thanks very much! The baskets are sold on Amazon as small task basket. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058ECYIY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut off the handles and fit one basket inside another. I have cleaned about 10 watches so far. Used the L&R cleaner and rinse. I specified ABS plastic for strength and hoping to have better chemical resistance. I do not really submerge too deep. The liquid just hits the bottom of the 3D printed assembly. Another Reddit user designed the 3D parts and I had them made at Craftcloud.

6 hours ago, gbyleveldt said:

^^^ that looks great! I was also tempted to 3d print baskets but was worried how the chemicals would affect them. I folded and ordered the Elma baskets and holders this morning. I’m hoping to use a stepper motor to drive the lot with - it should have enough torque and would allow me to have it work bi-directional. We will see if my idea pans out.

Thanks! I would like to see your version with the Elma baskets when you are done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JackH said:

Thanks very much! The baskets are sold on Amazon as small task basket. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058ECYIY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut off the handles and fit one basket inside another. I have cleaned about 10 watches so far. Used the L&R cleaner and rinse. I specified ABS plastic for strength and hoping to have better chemical resistance. I do not really submerge too deep. The liquid just hits the bottom of the 3D printed assembly. Another Reddit user designed the 3D parts and I had them made at Craftcloud.

Thanks! I would like to see your version with the Elma baskets when you are done.

Hey Jack - thanks for the original Reddit post. Best diy I had found.

I haven’t checked back there yet, but are the 3d print files linked there? Or could you tell me where to find otherwise? I ordered one of the small task baskets like yours but I have not incorporated it yet. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Charette said:

Hey Jack - thanks for the original Reddit post. Best diy I had found.

I haven’t checked back there yet, but are the 3d print files linked there? Or could you tell me where to find otherwise? I ordered one of the small task baskets like yours but I have not incorporated it yet. 

Thanks! Photocaster is the Reddit username of the designer. If you send a message, I am sure you can get the files. I was going to ask about posting the files, but never got around to doing it.

Edited by JackH

I’m very impressed with all the self made cleaners you guys have shown here. However, for the mesh baskets, I was wondering if it would be a better idea to use a proper watchmakers one, to avoid small components slipping through the gaps, or pivots getting stuck in the mesh.

So far, the mesh baskets I have found that are reasonably priced but still extremely high quality are actually found on the Horia website. It costs about half the price of the Bergeon. Take a look at this:373519001_Horiabrassmeshbaskets.thumb.png.30deeecce1f1832f9b703d00c9f87786.png

They come in a variety of sizes, and are available as nickel plated brass (cheaper), or stainless steel (slightly more expensive).

https://www.horia.ch/en/Products/Baskets/Baskets/Brass-basket.html

https://www.horia.ch/en/Products/Baskets/Baskets/Stainless-steel-basket.html

Edited by ifibrin
  • Like 2

Heh, I ended up buying the Elma basket complete that came with everything. Expensive, but everything fits well and it’s compact.

I’m slowly but surely putting my DIY cleaner together and it’s coming along nicely. I’ll post pics here once complete as I work out the bugs. So far I have the gantry working that has the stepper motor, gearing and shaft that attaches to the basket all working (getting up to 1000rpm on spin/dry cycle). I’ve also got the oscillating wash cycle working. I’m going to see if I can at least get the gantry mounted on the base today - I think here I’m going to have to redo some work I’ve already done to make the setup more sturdy - I’ll have to see when I get there.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 3:33 PM, JackH said:

I am glad to see that my post on Reddit inspired Charette's version of the watch cleaner! I have since added a 3D printed L&R type holder for the baskets. I use a 200rpm DC gearmotor and I think the speed is just right.

I did introduce myself back in March, I think. I have not posted very much because I am able to find most of what I need by searching.

CleanMachine1.jpg

CleanMachine2.jpg

Nice job 👍

5 hours ago, ifibrin said:

I’m very impressed with all the self made cleaners you guys have shown here. However, for the mesh baskets, I was wondering if it would be a better idea to use a proper watchmakers one, to avoid small components slipping through the gaps, or pivots getting stuck in the mesh.

So far, the mesh baskets I have found that are reasonably priced but still extremely high quality are actually found on the Horia website. It costs about half the price of the Bergeon. Take a look at this:373519001_Horiabrassmeshbaskets.thumb.png.30deeecce1f1832f9b703d00c9f87786.png

They come in a variety of sizes, and are available as nickel plated brass (cheaper), or stainless steel (slightly more expensive).

https://www.horia.ch/en/Products/Baskets/Baskets/Brass-basket.html

https://www.horia.ch/en/Products/Baskets/Baskets/Stainless-steel-basket.html

As you say ifibrin the cheaper ebay baskets  can be a bit risky with train wheel pivots poking through. Not so keen on the brass screw together baskets, they are quite heavy . I think the full mesh baskets are safer without the the heavy solid section which may damage pivots.

3 hours ago, gbyleveldt said:

Heh, I ended up buying the Elma basket complete that came with everything. Expensive, but everything fits well and it’s compact.

I’m slowly but surely putting my DIY cleaner together and it’s coming along nicely. I’ll post pics here once complete as I work out the bugs. So far I have the gantry working that has the stepper motor, gearing and shaft that attaches to the basket all working (getting up to 1000rpm on spin/dry cycle). I’ve also got the oscillating wash cycle working. I’m going to see if I can at least get the gantry mounted on the base today - I think here I’m going to have to redo some work I’ve already done to make the setup more sturdy - I’ll have to see when I get there.

Cant wait to see it Gert. Ive been looking at all different methods and orientations of cleaning. From tumblers to magnetic stirrers to shakers and oxygenators. I have come up with an extremely simple but rather hairbrained idea 🙄. But it wlill have to wait a week as missus taking me to Rome for our anniversary.  Yeeeyyy. 

4 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Cant wait to see it Gert. Ive been looking at all different methods and orientations of cleaning. From tumblers to magnetic stirrers to shakers and oxygenators. I have come up with an extremely simple but rather hairbrained idea 🙄. But it wlill have to wait a week as missus taking me to Rome for our anniversary.  Yeeeyyy. 

Rome? Geesh you're a baller - lucky man! And congrats in advance of your anniversary!! How long have you guys been married now?

Well, this is how far I got the weekend. Still much to do as I'm designing it as I'm going (yeah, not a bright idea).

IMG_9142.thumb.jpg.58132a34d501cef83abdce0fdfab54c2.jpg

I was going to sorta stop there, but then I realized that I'm going to need a 2nd gantry to make it more rigid. At 300 rpm (wash cycle) it's ok, but when I go to 1k rpm (drying spin cycle) then things come a little unglued. Why did I pick those numbers you may ask? Well that's how the modern Elma machines work (according to their spec sheets) so I figured I'd copy that. Then I figured, while I'm making another gantry, why not give it a z axis so it can lift itself out of the solution and then ramp up to the spin cycle. Automagically. Then all I need to do is push a button and it takes care of washing and spinning, then I change the jar to a rinsing solution and repeat. I hate that "while you're in there" thoughts...

I also need to give some thought to what I'm going to do for wavebreakers. When it spins up even at low speeds the solution tends towards the outside of the jar, leaving the inner part of the basket with little solution. It may or may not be an issue though as I'm changing direction every 2 seconds in the wash cycle. On the older L&R machines there's a little 'star' bent plate that sits at the bottom, on the Elma machines it looks like they used a stretched weaved mesh that lines the inner walls of the jar. I'll have to experiment to see what works when I get to that point.

I'm also going to have to give it some sort of heavy base to keep it stable and to centre the jar properly. The obvious choice would be a thick slab of steel but getting that machined is out of my wheelhouse, so I'll have to think up something else. Maybe thick perspex sheet with lead weights. I dunno...

Edited by gbyleveldt
  • Like 3

Hi as a base you could try a block of Mahogany say 3" thick. by 18" square.  A hole machined out for the jar and fit a 1/4" plate under the wood for added weight. That would give it stability and somewhere to slot the Gantry posts.  just thinking and pitching ideas into the field.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi as a base you could try a block of Mahogany say 3" thick. by 18" square.  A hole machined out for the jar and fit a 1/4" plate under the wood for added weight. That would give it stability and somewhere to slot the Gantry posts.  just thinking and pitching ideas into the field.

That’s actually a very good idea. Much easier to machine as well. Now that you mention it, maybe a melamine kitchen top will work as well. Only reason I’m thinking melamine is to prevent any spillages messing with bare wood. Maybe double it up to add some weight (plus I think I have some left over from a kitchen renovation).

Thanks for pitching in!