Eyup everyone,  hows you all doin ?

This is an update on a diy cleaning machine i made a while ago. Been using it a couple of months  now and its ok and it cleans well, but i was bored this evening and decided to make up something  cheaper still and that could be a useful little gadget when you want a quick hassle free clean and maybe something beginners on a budget could try. Its a little adaptation to # Its about f--king time's # little invention he made at the same time i made the big one. I was going to go the same route  but then decided to go big. And our Gerty ( soz matey lol, love you loads of course you know that ) directed and inspired me to have another little play. Here are some photos, and a bit of info as to what i used. The first is a pillar drill, this only spins one way and rotates the basket along with the fluid so not loads of agitation created, but the insert for the tray does stir things up quite well. And then this evenings,  made up of some kitchen and shed bits. 1 glass jar with rubber sealed locking lid to prevent evaporation when not in use.  1 agitation mixer insert from a protein shaker. 1. Plastic lid from a tuperwear tub to prevent any splashing. 1 mastic tube nozzel . And 1 . 6x150mm bolt with washers and nut. Total cost about 4 quid. Pros over the pillar drill, small and neat so good space saver, rotates both directions when used with a cordless drill and the basket spins independently of the fluid so much more agition created. Cons you do have to stay with it and operate it manually unless you wanted to rig up a frame to hold the cordless drill. Obviously other cost incured is the cordless drill, but everyone has a cordless drill right ? Even my kids have one, i had 47 of them at the last count. 🙂. My recommendation would be to let the watch parts soak for ten mins first to loosen up the tenacious mank then give them a good swish around backwards and forwards for a few mins. Repeat if necessary. Enjoy playing and inventing. I'd love to hear about any other ideas 👍

20220902_201148.jpg

20220902_201136.jpg

20220902_201129.jpg

20220902_201109.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 2

bit of creative thinking and application and here we have a way of cleaning watch parts effectivly.  What is a watch cleaning machine ? a mechanical device which swishes parts in a cleaning  solution. add a timer, the ability to reverse the motor and speed control, and a heater for drying the parts.  An expensive tool for the hobbyist.  I bought a non worker for £10 at a car boot, lucky find. Its now repaired and working but people are not always that lucky so a bit of invention and application, I an sure there are many DIY devices/machines out there so lets see some on here for others to share and build.   well thought out NEW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

bit of creative thinking and application and here we have a way of cleaning watch parts effectivly.  What is a watch cleaning machine ? a mechanical device which swishes parts in a cleaning  solution. add a timer, the ability to reverse the motor and speed control, and a heater for drying the parts.  An expensive tool for the hobbyist.  I bought a non worker for £10 at a car boot, lucky find. Its now repaired and working but people are not always that lucky so a bit of invention and application, I an sure there are many DIY devices/machines out there so lets see some on here for others to share and build.   well thought out NEW.

Thanks WW. It was just a little play around while i was bored last night. I do have another idea that i would like to have a go at. This involves a cake mixer lol. I missed out on one for a tenner a couple of weeks ago at a carboot. The biggest issue is having 2 different directions of rotations to run automatically. This gives the best cleaning action. I was thinking with a basic cake mixer their are 2 axis of rotation, one rotation around another. This might give enough agitation to give a decent wash ? 

• Like 1

Moving to correct sub-forum.

----

Why is this happening?

Please don't be offended - from time to time, in an attempt to keep WRT organized, we need to move threads to another area more suited to the subject of that thread. Members can help the forum staff by checking for a suitable sub-forum before posting as this will help to reduce their admin workload.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 3:56 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Eyup everyone,  hows you all doin ?

This is an update on a diy cleaning machine i made a while ago. Been using it a couple of months  now and its ok and it cleans well, but i was bored this evening and decided to make up something  cheaper still and that could be a useful little gadget when you want a quick hassle free clean and maybe something beginners on a budget could try. Its a little adaptation to # Its about f--king time's # little invention he made at the same time i made the big one. I was going to go the same route  but then decided to go big. And our Gerty ( soz matey lol, love you loads of course you know that ) directed and inspired me to have another little play. Here are some photos, and a bit of info as to what i used. The first is a pillar drill, this only spins one way and rotates the basket along with the fluid so not loads of agitation created, but the insert for the tray does stir things up quite well. And then this evenings,  made up of some kitchen and shed bits. 1 glass jar with rubber sealed locking lid to prevent evaporation when not in use.  1 agitation mixer insert from a protein shaker. 1. Plastic lid from a tuperwear tub to prevent any splashing. 1 mastic tube nozzel . And 1 . 6x150mm bolt with washers and nut. Total cost about 4 quid. Pros over the pillar drill, small and neat so good space saver, rotates both directions when used with a cordless drill and the basket spins independently of the fluid so much more agition created. Cons you do have to stay with it and operate it manually unless you wanted to rig up a frame to hold the cordless drill. Obviously other cost incured is the cordless drill, but everyone has a cordless drill right ? Even my kids have one, i had 47 of them at the last count. 🙂. My recommendation would be to let the watch parts soak for ten mins first to loosen up the tenacious mank then give them a good swish around backwards and forwards for a few mins. Repeat if necessary. Enjoy playing and inventing. I'd love to hear about any other ideas 👍

20220902_201148.jpg

20220902_201136.jpg

20220902_201129.jpg

20220902_201109.jpg

Absolutely LOVE IT.

Now, that's "garage"!

Inspiring, to say the least.

g.
----

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Moving to correct sub-forum.

----

Why is this happening?

Please don't be offended - from time to time, in an attempt to keep WRT organized, we need to move threads to another area more suited to the subject of that thread. Members can help the forum staff by checking for a suitable sub-forum before posting as this will help to reduce their admin workload.

Eyup Mark. I thought i had chosen an appropriate section tbf. Any advice as to a better one would be appreciated thanks 🙂. Just had a quick look through sections and sub sections. Tool making ?  Just wondering if its possible to have watch repair tips and tricks section, somewhere to have a collection of innovations that we can compose. Clever ideas from the past or a recent lightbulb turns on moment. 

2 hours ago, Gramham said:

Absolutely LOVE IT.

Now, that's "garage"!

Inspiring, to say the least.

g.
----

Why thank you kind sir thats very nice of you to say so, it was just a little play around really.  I'd been looking for something to use as a mesh basket carrier for a couple of weeks. And there i was at the kitchen sink washing my protein shaker after going to the gym.  Tah-dah, one protein mixer insert / mesh basket carrier.  Just a very simple and cheap  ( like me ) idea to get newbies cleaning watch parts a little easier without spending a fortune. 🙂. Ive always been of the opinion life is about helping folk, its actually no effort at all if you enjoy it. But now even more so after this last week I've had. I enjoy being here, its an escape from everyday life and I consider you guys an extension of my family. X

On 9/3/2022 at 6:44 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thanks WW. It was just a little play around while i was bored last night. I do have another idea that i would like to have a go at. This involves a cake mixer lol. I missed out on one for a tenner a couple of weeks ago at a carboot. The biggest issue is having 2 different directions of rotations to run automatically. This gives the best cleaning action. I was thinking with a basic cake mixer their are 2 axis of rotation, one rotation around another. This might give enough agitation to give a decent wash ? 

I have questions about the set up illustrated in your drill press.  How does the container holding the solution keep from turning while sealing?  What RPM are you planning on turning that at?  Without the outer container resisting the motion of the fluid there will be no motion relative to the watch parts inside (they will all move together, with the fluid).  Some surface details or texting in the outer container would help by adding some turbulence but will also make it harder to clean.

I think the idea of using the planetary gear set out of an old KitchenAid is brilliant.  Depending on the geometry, as the basket rotates and revolves, through the solution, all points will be having the solution passing over/through and around them in every direction along that plain.  Any and all points, in the basket will accelerate along different directions and at different velocities through the fluid.  I think that is fabulous.  The whole thing won't need to reverse, as far as the parts know, it's self reversing.  The only additional direction of travel would be if the basket could be automatically raised and lowered in the solution at a different frequency and speed to that of mixer.

You have my wheels tuning.

Shane 

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

But now even more so after this last week I've had. I enjoy being here, its an escape from everyday life and I consider you guys an extension of my family. X

I missed this paragraph before my last post.  I do hope everything is manageable and within your control.  If so you seem determined and respectful enough to get along.  Shane 

43 minutes ago, Shane said:

I have questions about the set up illustrated in your drill press.  How does the container holding the solution keep from turning while sealing?  

Hi Shane, the pillar drill is a different action to the small version. The whole container spins along with the fluid and baskets . Hence the agitation isn't as good as it could be but still works ok. The small one would work in its place when i have time to make a frame to secure the container.

48 minutes ago, Shane said:

Some surface details or texting in the outer container would help by adding some turbulence but will also make it harder to clean.

I was thinking of offsetting the spindle attached to the container to create turbulance but then came up with the cake mixer as a better idea

52 minutes ago, Shane said:

think the idea of using the planetary gear set out of an old KitchenAid is brilliant.  Depending on the geometry, as the basket rotates and revolves, through the solution, all points will be having the solution passing over/through and around them in every direction along that plain.  Any and all points, in the basket will accelerate along different directions and at different velocities through the fluid.  I think that is fabulous.  The whole thing won't need to reverse, as far as the parts know, it's self reversing.  The only additional direction of travel would be if the basket could be automatically raised and lowered in the solution at a different frequency and speed to that of mixer.

Shane 

Yes mate. Thats exactly what i was thinking i just didnt have the brain capacity to explain it in your excellent manner 😅

1 hour ago, Shane said:

Shane 

I would love to hear any thoughts you have Shane.  I'm not any sort of engineer by any stretch of the imagination but i do have a way of cobbling bits and pieces together to make some kind of any working device. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Any advice as to a better one would be appreciated thanks

Not a problem at all my friend. The best advise was already given in the automated message...

Members can help the forum staff by checking for a suitable sub-forum before posting as this will help to reduce their admin workload

Kindest regards 🙂

8 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Just wondering if its possible to have watch repair tips and tricks section

Sure - If members start using the tag "tipsandtricks" on a new thread and its appropriate - if I find that there are more than 20 threads tagged as such then I can create a new sub-forum. In the meantime - those threads can be posted in the appropriate sub-forum with the tag as mentioned.

35 minutes ago, Mark said:

tag "tipsandtricks" on a new thread and its appropriate - if I find that there are more than 20 threads tagged as such then I can create a new sub-forum.

This sounds reasonable.  Except, I don't know how to do that.  Does it have to be done by the original poster as they start the new thread or can't be added after the fact, by anyone?

The clock on my VCR sill says 12:00.

Shane 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Mark said:

Not a problem at all my friend. The best advise was already given in the automated message...

Kindest regards 🙂

Sure - If members start using the tag "tipsandtricks" on a new thread and its appropriate - if I find that there are more than 20 threads tagged as such then I can create a new sub-forum. In the meantime - those threads can be posted in the appropriate sub-forum with the tag as mentioned.

Thanks Mark. I thought the idea of a seperate tips and tricks sub section would help beginners pick up some helpful pointers. I know as a relative beginner myself i love these little nuggets of information, some go back way back to the old school repairers.I used to use oodles of them when i was training apprentices in construction, i hated the thought of priceless creative knowledge disappearing along with their inventors. If you dont mind me doing a little tag prompting to make it happen. 🙂

14 minutes ago, Shane said:

This sounds reasonable.  Except, I don't know how to do that.  Does it have to be done by the original poster as they start the new thread or can't be added after the fact, by anyone?

Shane 

Haha. I was wondering that myself shane. It was my next question 🙂

3 hours ago, Shane said:

Shane 

Wow you have a video recorder, we have to wait for re-runs. 😄

• Haha 1

@Mark,

I've seen you use manual air agitation in "one dip".

What's your opinion on aeration in a static cleaning machine?

1) Fill reservoir with cleaning fluid
2) Place air stone at bottom of basket
3) Put parts in basket
4) Insert basket in fluid reservoir
5) Aerate for X minutes

This might eliminate the need for a rotor...do you have any experience with aeration instead of agitation?

Sorry if this has been asked 100M times already - if need be, just point me to the appropriate discussion.

I have no "institutional memory" developed as yet.

🙂

g.
-----

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gramham said:

@Mark,

3) Put parts in basket
5) Aerate for X minutes

This might eliminate the need for a rotor...do you have any experience with aeration instead of agitation?

Sorry if this has been asked 100M times already - if need be, just point me to the appropriate discussion.

🙂

g.
-----

I've not heard that asked before Graham, i wonder if enough agitation would be created. This is a similar idea used in plating keep the solution moving around the object. Curious to hear what mark thinks

3 hours ago, Gramham said:

@Mark,

3) Put parts in basket
5) Aerate for X minutes

🙂

g.
-----

Looking at your idea has given me another thought as regards to a rotary machine. In a conventional cleaner the baskets are spun along with fluid ( when the fluid catches up to speed ), this is why a reverse of the fluid is needed to keep turburlance active.  If the baskets were   held static then a reverse of the of the fluid is not required. So if the fluid is continually  passing over the parts that should provide a good cleaning action should it not ?

I have toyed with the Idea of spray cleaning, where the parts are static and the fluid is continually sprayed over them  using something akin to an air brush set up or similar. Kind of like when cleaning engine parts in a paraffin  bath.  not done anything with the idea as yet but its one for the future. 

• Like 1

@Gramham

This is an effective means of mixing and agitating a fluid.  I have even used it for cleaning particulate contamination from oil's.  I'll tell you because of your interest in cleaning.  Put enough water in the bottom of a container of oil to cover your air stones.  The container should have proportions more of a column then of a pan.  Since the bubbles are formed in the water and then traverse into the oil, a thin membrane of water still exists.  When the bubble pops at the surface the water droplets collect or adhere to particles, pulling them down on the return trip.  This is better for organic particulates, as well as others gust above and below what is economically viable to filter.  At some point the participants are to small to remove this way and are way to small to filter.  The next and best step is gravity settling.  Anything not removed by this point is probably a very fine mineral or metallic substance (or fine drop of water) and is denser then the oil.  It will sink to the bottom over an extended period of time.

That being said, without the trap at the bottom to hold the contamination, I think its addition to mechanical washer might keep more of the finer particles in suspension, not allowing gravity to remove them.  If it's your only way of agitation, we do what we need to do but I don't think it's necessary to add to a mechanical cleaner.

The proof is in the doing.  If you try it, let us know how it works.

@watchweasol

I have used industrial rotating spray cleaning machines in the past.  Your thoughts are intriguing.

One of the very best way of degreasing something is physical vapor deposition with condensation recovery.  Unfortunately there is no mechanical means of removing any leftover particulates afterwards.  I'm wondering if this could be a second step within the same machine.

🤔

Shane 

Edited by Shane
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  Step two was to have a mesh base with a trap at the bottom and a filter (coffee filter paper) on top of the mesh to collect the dirt, that way with a second filter the fluid could be re used. These are still in the thinking stage and not been drawn up even, just food for thought.

Thats a bit of a coincidence WW. I was looking at my cafetiere this morning and thinking it had elements to it that might be useful to make another cleaning device. Am i strange finding different uses for everyday objects or is this just what us ingenious Brits do ?

I dont think its strange that we put to a different use ordinary objects Its more of not conforming to type. most in the watchmaking/repairing industry conform and use the branded tools because they perceive, are told they are the best, but as I have said before the best tools in the world in the hands of an incompetent are just scrap. I have tools bought 40 plus years ago, not main line or branded from companies such as "The Watchmakers Supply Co" and "T.G.Loaders"  Long since gone, (still have the catalogues) and they are still good and in use. Why pay several hundred pounds for kit you may use once a month or twice a week just becauce it has a NAME when there is an alternative if you are prepared to find it

• Like 1