ID this vintage H Moser chronograph caliber

Hello everyone,

I am trying to restore/source parts for this turn of the century chronograph wristwatch but struggling to determine what caliber it is. It’s 15 lignes (33.6 mm) and preliminary research seems to indicate that it’s a jumping minute caliber.  Any help would be much appreciated.

C1F7CD96-6880-409D-B9C4-1E7F76EC03E9.jpeg

38CB3E94-80FB-424C-AB4A-1FD236F6FB2E.jpeg

1008AE59-206A-479A-A50C-F38190E7EE49.jpeg

I truly wish I could help, with sourcing parts at least.  I do.  I know you must feel at your wits end.  But I confess, I know next to nothing about Mosers.  As chronographs and stopwatches go, I have parts and donor movements for Excelsior Park and Leonidas, and that's it.  I think a lot of the rest of us may be in the same boat.  Here's hoping you happen upon a source of parts on your own, but I don't think it will happen overnight.  This could be a long term project.    

18 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I truly wish I could help, with sourcing parts at least.  I do.  I know you must feel at your wits end.  But I confess, I know next to nothing about Mosers.  As chronographs and stopwatches go, I have parts and donor movements for Excelsior Park and Leonidas, and that's it.  I think a lot of the rest of us may be in the same boat.  Here's hoping you happen upon a source of parts on your own, but I don't think it will happen overnight.  This could be a long term project.    

Thanks for offering. I agree this might turn out to be a long term labor of love.

I’m hoping to determine if this is an in-house H Moser caliber vs an outsourced one from one of the famous manufacturers like Landeron or Valjoux. Maybe once I know this I can more effectively seek the necessary parts.

On 9/2/2022 at 1:31 AM, Rasputin said:

Hello everyone,

I am trying to restore/source parts for this turn of the century chronograph wristwatch but struggling to determine what caliber it is. It’s 15 lignes (33.6 mm) and preliminary research seems to indicate that it’s a jumping minute caliber.  Any help would be much appreciated.

C1F7CD96-6880-409D-B9C4-1E7F76EC03E9.jpeg

38CB3E94-80FB-424C-AB4A-1FD236F6FB2E.jpeg

1008AE59-206A-479A-A50C-F38190E7EE49.jpeg

Thats a beautiful movement and the example watch in the link is gorgeous.   Out of interest what parts do you need for it ? Anything that could be made ?

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

Obviously a quality movement. I've looked in BestFit and Ranfft but can't find anything similar.  

I noticed "383" stamped on the back - I wondered if that could be a calibre number, but a search on that didn't help.

Really intrigued to find out what it is

5 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thats a beautiful movement and the example watch in the link is gorgeous.   Out of interest what parts do you need for it ? Anything that could be made ?

What about the serial numbers on the dial side. You have a 383 there on its own, nothing from that ? Sorry mike i didnt see your input there. The 383 does look suspiciously like a calibre number 

4 hours ago, Rasputin said:

Thanks @Neverenoughwatches.  I'm specifically looking for a stem and crown/pusher assembly at this time.

Its looking like an independent watch maker Rasp. A swiss watchmaker from the mid 1800s,  founded the company in Russia, sold on many years ago  but now partly back in his great grandson's hands. Their recent models are very high end, i came across one at 80 grand. Every watch i came across has the HM stamp, if its completely in house you may be stuck barring making a stem. 

37 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

What about the serial numbers on the dial side. You have a 383 there on its own, nothing from that ? Sorry mike i didnt see your input there. The 383 does look suspiciously like a calibre number 

Its looking like an independent watch maker Rasp. A swiss watchmaker from the mid 1800s,  founded the company in Russia, sold on many years ago  but now partly back in his great grandson's hands. Their recent models are very high end, i came across one at 80 grand. Every watch i came across has the HM stamp, if its completely in house you may be stuck barring making a stem. 

Yes mate almost certainly independently made. Heinrich Moser was pretty much the dog's nads. By all accounts a bloody genius entrepreneur, theres even a museum in his honor. He did a lot to put  the Swiss town of Schaffhausen on the watch map. Also helped set up IWC in its infancy also in Schaffhausen, you could maybe have a look in the direction of their chronographs ? But whatever you have a valuable quality watch on your hands, I'm  rather jealous. 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

From what I've been able to find, they're a luxury watch manufacturer, currently employing  55 people and producing about 1500 watches per year, manufacturing it's own components.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Moser_%26_Cie

As it's likely to be a rare and valuable movement, it's probably worth contacting the factory.

Due to it's size and date, would it have originally been a pocket watch ?

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/hmosercie/pocket-watch-hmoser--cie-chronograph-pocket-watch--id23126865.htm

image.png.66fe5e476ca7962e9f4a7fff2e7dc180.png

Edited by mikepilk
  • Like 1

It could have been a pocket watch movement that was transferred to a wristwatch case. Note I have shown an example of the same movement in another H Moser wristwatch earlier in the thread. As far  “383” stamp, I have yet to connect it to any particular caliber. Of all the calibers I’ve researched it seems to have the most resemblance to the Landeron 16 but am unsure if it’s related.

• 1 year later...