Reliable sellers of watch movements.

Bought this on eBay.  List photos showed dial to be perfect.  This is what I received.  Movement was packed, unsecured and unprotected, in a plastic bag, with 11 other movements.  Sad part is, I could have dropped it into a case upon arrival.  Runs amazing.  The scratching at center and at 4 position are from 3 stems that were thrown into the bag, loose, and shipped from Michigan.  Are there not ANY selling platforms that can be relied on with at least folks who take pride in what they sell?   I seem to keep losing A LOT of money, or time, on buying crap.  

image.jpg

7 minutes ago, Wera0925 said:

Are there not ANY selling platforms that can be relied on with at least folks who take pride in what they sell?

The "platform" means nothing. In the it's just about individual sellers, which do vary a lot. It always recommended to buy from the ones with the highest rating, and use PayPal for a no hassle claim and refund process when what you get is not as described.

7 minutes ago, Wera0925 said:

I seem to keep losing A LOT of money, or time, on buying crap.  

Can only blame an excess of money and incompetence from buyers for that. Otherwise sellers wouldn't have such easy sales.

Did you make 12 separate purchases from the seller >>OR<< did you simply buy a LOT OF 12 that happened to have the Bulova in it? When purchasing lots, they typically come loose in a bag.

If the Bulova was your target, you could have sent a message to the seller and asked that it be handled separately.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 7:13 PM, Wera0925 said:

Bought this on eBay.  List photos showed dial to be perfect.  This is what I received.  Movement was packed, unsecured and unprotected, in a plastic bag, with 11 other movements.  Sad part is, I could have dropped it into a case upon arrival.  Runs amazing.  The scratching at center and at 4 position are from 3 stems that were thrown into the bag, loose, and shipped from Michigan.  Are there not ANY selling platforms that can be relied on with at least folks who take pride in what they sell?   I seem to keep losing A LOT of money, or time, on buying crap.  

image.jpg

Thats a shame. With a little more care the dial may have been perfect.  I bought a lot of small boxes of named watch stems a few months ago. When they arrived most of the boxes had come open 😠. I was left with thousands of stems to measure .  Two days and a big refund later they were reboxed. It was good practice though 🙂

On 9/1/2022 at 7:25 PM, jdm said:

Can only blame an excess of money and incompetence from buyers for that. Otherwise sellers wouldn't have such easy sales.

You know theres a way to make comments without coming across like a nob right ?

• Like 3

It was a 12 movement lot.  I also dabble in sales on platforms as well.  My personal moral compass won’t let me send items without proper protection.  It’s everyone’s hard earned buying what I sell.  When I sell lots, Each get their own, CLEAN, small zip loc bag.  Each gets wrapped in bubble wrap and then all get bubble wrapped together.  Then box gets stuffed with paper for even more protection.  I do not accept it being a buyer fault.  I fault a sellers that cannot take an extra 5 minutes and spend an extra 50 cents to help ensure as safe a delivery as possible.  It’s sad that someone actually believes it’s my fault someone decided to take my money and treat vintage watches and movements like they were a Budweiser bottle cap.  No, it’s all about taking advantage whenever someone can.  No moral fiber.  I’ve never had a customer complain about how I ship and as a matter of fact, the quality of my watches, and the safety I take in shipping are the top 2 things I receive comments on.  It can be done and far from breaks the bank.  No excuse but laziness and over greed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wera0925 said:

My personal moral compass won’t let me send items without proper protection.

I wish everyone had a similar moral compass, the world would be a better place.

The last lot I bought just came all jumbled in a bag. I only bought it to get some shock springs to practice with.

• Like 2