Best Solution for Ultrasonic Machine

What Perrin has is the clock oil, here's the link -

https://perrinwatchparts.com/en-us/collections/all-lubricants

I've been refreshing my memory a bit, I think for watches you'd be looking at Etsyntha 1-3, I've attached the data sheet.

Product Specifications.pdf

Boley.de carries all of the oils, their english language site is OK, that's where I got the data sheet. ]\

https://www.boley.de/en/shop/3350.dr-tillwich-etsyntha

On 8/31/2022 at 1:02 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Graham, young fella ( well younger than me anyway) where have you been this past week ?  You have missed so much excitement and mayhem on this subject of cleaning materials, i think there was an ultrasonic machine mentioned in there somewhere. Moderators please any chance of a ruling on only mentioning watch cleaning substances just once a month at the absolute most. Old Hippy pleeease i know you can make this happen, i can't take anymore and i definitely know you can't 😉 . Ps Graham if you did this on purpose, I'm coming looking for you sonshine. 🤣

Hello @Neverenoughwatches

Sorry bro - Working on a consulting gig and 90% on that these days.  Very interesting stuff though nothing to do with Watchmaking so I'm loath to talk about it here.

@oldhippy- Considering the effort that MarkL is putting in slicing and dicing the content into recognizable categories, the next step is to (obviously) cut down on the "noise factor" by putting an FAQ at the head of each category, so the conversation can get off of square 1.  Of course, I am a serial offender in this regard at the moment, though my attempts to put an Ultrasonic FAQ together are ongoing and part of the effort to write an English manual for the unit I recently sourced.

But it wasn't me who launched this latest one - what I'm trying to do is suggest ways to prevent constant monthly re-launches.

g.

----

Edited by Gramham
Spelling

48 minutes ago, Gramham said:

Hello @Neverenoughwatches

Sorry bro - Working on a consulting gig and 90% on that these days.  Very interesting stuff though nothing to do with Watchmaking so I'm loath to talk about it here.

@oldhippy- Considering the effort that MarkL is putting in slicing and dicing the content into recognizable categories, the next step is to (obviously) cut down on the "noise factor" by putting an FAQ at the head of each category, so the conversation can get off of square 1.  Of course, I am a serial offender in this regard at the moment, though my attempts to put an Ultrasonic FAQ together are ongoing and part of the effort to write an English manual for the unit I recently sourced.

But it wasn't me who launched this latest one - what I'm trying to do is suggest ways to prevent constant monthly re-launches.

g.

----

Haha. Thanks for the apology mate, but i was referring to a different Graham. Its sorted now he had a good read through last weeks discussion.  I still offer my apology to that Graham, i am going through a difficult period of shite. You are right it is a constant effort by the moderators arranging topics and subtopics, i do feel for them and they do get some unfair grief from time to time. Its nice to give them some recognition, flowers or a box of roses at xmas time at the very least 🙂.  Cleaning solutions and lubricants are among the top questions repeatedly asked by beginner's . Sometimes even a day or so after a big unagreed session. I had a forehead right palm connection moment lol when that handsome young chap (crawl , crawl ) asked that same question. 

6 hours ago, dadistic said:

What Perrin has is the clock oil, here's the link

I see they do have a lot of oil..

6 hours ago, dadistic said:

I've been refreshing my memory a bit, I think for watches you'd be looking at Etsyntha 1-3, I've attached the data sheet.

I'm attaching an image and the tech sheet of what I was looking for. But a course like everybody else it has to be affordable..

Elgin watch oil modern.JPG

TS5500EN elgin oil.pdf

5 hours ago, dadistic said:

Where did the image come from?

the problem with acquiring images off the Internet is I don't always remember where they came from I'm pretty sure this was a seller in Germany or Europe or somewhere else.

4 hours ago, praezis said:

Afaik they reengineered Elgin oils and produce them as demand is there.

the demand must be low because everyone supposed only by a Swiss brand because that's what's recommended on all the technical sheets. My vague memory was that even the oil was extremely expensive in other words if you think $30 a bottle is expensive then you don't even want to think about how expensive this was but that's only a faint memory.

• 4 months later...

I think whats important to remember here is the deliniation between professional watchmaker servicing Rolexes etc for good money or selling them online and the hobbyist tinkerer.

Whereas the one can justify the outlay for a watch cleaning machine and all the unicorn poop priced oils others cannot, especially with the watch cleaning machine. So if you're a hobbyist using an ultra sonic and just a few oils so be it.

The hobbyist mechanic doesnt usually go out and buy a four poster lift (unless he's on youtube that is, getting all that click money revenue no one ever talks about on there how all of a sudden a guy in a backstreet garage making a few "how to" videos can all of a sudden afford to kit out a pro garage either by income increase or sponsorship deals.)

So my point is, its just not pro's on here its also people like me new to watchmaking that have been inspired by YouTube to do it themselves for a hobby and like with any hobby, there'll always be the Mr Toads that will buy the best of everything then move onto their next obsession and others that will be asking the more experienced about cheaper alternatives.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your family member Never Enough Watches, but come on everyones got the right to ask about things and if the debate is getting heated on here that they weren't party to, well its a forum online isnt it, when has that not ever happened?
But people need to try to stay friendly and helpful to one another despite their deeply held views on
"The use of ultrasonic cleaners is heresy"
over the top ranting as its the same old stubborn online
"I'm right... No I think you'll find that I'm right" scenario for the millionth time...

But the idea of a F. A . Q (Frequently Asked Questions, for those that don't know) pinned to the beginning of each "how to" thread would solve the endless newbs asking the same questions problem, but not totally.

But being new to this forum myself and no slight to mark or the moderators, I have also found it difficult to extract concrete information from this forum, although it is there, due to the amount of posts on here.
So I can see why people are asking the same questions over and over...

Also people tend to post Ebay links to products rather than the product names that when you read older older threads all you get is this page no longer exists...

One of this forums strengths is its openness and genuine help and advice from experienced and less experienced members. Sometimes it can get a bit heated but not often.  Since joining the forum (2014) the membership has grown from approx 2k to over 11.5k so we have things about right. Personally I just found this hobby fascinating and the deeper I went the more tools I needed to tackle all of the tasks. Generally it’s not the tools or lubricants that make the difference it’s the repairers experience and skill. 

• Like 4