Unique Waltham pocket watch identification needed!

Hello there, potential watch identifier!

I was at an antique store and saw an unrestored Waltham pocket watch. It had quite a long crown and the crown and stem were at the 6 o'clock position, something I have never seen before. The dial was black and it had subseconds, but I wasn't able to get a picture of it. I have searched online and the closest I have found was an Elgin pocket watch with the same crown placement. The pocket watch looks basically like the ones in the pictures below, but with the crown at 6 o'clock. If anyone can tell me the model name or point me in a good direction, I will be so grateful and will probably purchase it soon. Thank you!

il_fullxfull.2434784663_rts3.jpg

IMG_20210213_152126.jpg

Not alot to work with here.  Any chance of going back and getting some good photos of the watch that you are trying to identify?  Including some of the movement inside.

If this is enough for someone else, I'm ready to be very impressed.

Have a great night.

Shane 

Edited by Shane

The Waltham with the long stem at 6 - that would be a car clock.  It was meant to be mounted into a corresponding hole in an automobile dash, low enough that the crown projected just below where the watch could be set and wound.  They usually had a large enough mainspring to run for eight days.
As to model or movement, that would require pictures of the works and likely a serial number lookup at the pocket watch database.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

The Waltham with the long stem at 6 - that would be a car clock.

usually a car clock or perhaps of it went in some kind of like eggs. Like a travel clock but usually the crown is on the other side. But usually when I think Waltham car clock I'm thinking of eight day movements and that is not what I would call a pocket watch size movement? so for instance the pictures the pocket watches up above give a misleading impression of what were looking for.

I am attaching an image unfortunately we don't get a size perspective. But if you go to your favorite search engine online and search for Waltham car clock you'll see lots of pictures. also what you're looking at the pictures of notice in some creative individuals have mounted their car clocks in such a way that they now become a desk clock.

Waltham eight day car clock.JPG

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.