Reshaping bunched up hairsprings with etachron adjustments....

1 hour ago, Shane said:

Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm getting really good at trashing hairsprings. 😭

You can read all the books and watch all the videos in the world. But nothing beats first hands experience. I still trash hairsprings due to clumsiness/complacency on occasion. Experience is the best teacher so don’t beat yourself up too much about it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shane said:

I think the smaller diameter of a watch makers screwdriver, even one of the larger ones, would not give you the same torque and control that the larger diameter of the correct tool provides.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for not spending the 40 bucks but look at the design (most of the time things are the way they are for a reason) and try to duplicate that.  If their decisions don't reflect your needs, you (of course) have the freedom to make your own choices.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm getting really good at trashing hairsprings. 😭

Shane 

Thanks @JohnR725our previous conversation really helped me visualize and follow this thread.

Well I've been racking my brain on other ways to come up with this thing. Jon's design is brilliant but it would cost me like 60 dollars in tools and several hours to create a 40 dollar tool haha. 

I was thinking something could probably be 3d printed pretty easily but then he stressed this has to be heat hardened steel so that makes me think a 3d print wouldn't work at all. If somebody had a cnc it would probably be super simple to make a bit that could fit a bergeon driver or some other larger driver 🤔 It might not be quite as good as the bergeon but it would probably be good enough for government work as they say.  Sadly the maker space here which did have such a machine did not survive covid.

1 hour ago, Birbdad said:

"If somebody had a cnc"

"maker space here"

The maker space here has the equipment and I have some cnc experience from a previous life but I have let my membership lapse and their two hours away in each direction.  Not to mention that I am not very social.  I do not knock those guys in the slightest but if you go there to make something you wind up repeatedly teaching a class, to every person passing by, about why you're doing it the way that you're doing it.  Some people really get into doing that...  I don't; at least not in person and not to people who are really only interrupting you because they think that's just being polite.  It's not that I don't like helping people or explaining myself, it's just when I do it in this format, I rarely get home after midnight. 

Forty bucks is starting to sound better.😔

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1