Which tool (or tools) should I get

I’ve just begun working on watches and watch parts and my birthday is in a couple of days. My mom told me that she would buy me a watch tool or tools within the 200 dollar range. I was thinking a mainspring winder set. Or a cannon pinon remover. I need advice as to what I should get. Are those 200 dollar mainspring winders worth it or is that a cheap rip off. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Moving to correct sub-forum.

----

Why is this happening?

Please don't be offended - from time to time, in an attempt to keep WRT organized, we need to move threads to another area more suited to the subject of that thread. Members can help the forum staff by checking for a suitable sub-forum before posting as this will help to reduce their admin workload.

@NucejoeI have pretty much all I currently need to do a general servicing. I’m taking Marks courses so I’ll be ordering that movement soon. I’m just concerned  about not having a cannon pinion remover. And I don’t have anything to service the main spring. Was gonna try learning to do it by hand. I have a six set screw driver kit. Was thinking of investing in a ten set one w the rotating thing for my workbench. I just bought another movement holder. This one was much nicer then my other one. I need oils. I also need a ultra sonic cleaner. But I’m mainly asking because I figured that you guys would be the best guides for a good tool or tools for that much that would aid me in servicing movements for the foreseeable future.  And I would have forever. Or hopefully forever. 

21 minutes ago, 12052 said:

I’m just concerned  about not having a cannon pinion remover.

A cannon pinion remover is not a requirement but a convenience. I have one and wouldn't want to be without it. However, in the beginning, I used tweezers and later a presto tool.

21 minutes ago, 12052 said:

And I don’t have anything to service the main spring.

For your first service, I recommend you order a new mainspring and press it into the barrel, as Mark shows in the course. You can also practice doing it by hand. Yes, it is frowned upon by some repairers but one of the members here on WRT that I respect the most does it by hand.

Good luck! 👍

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 1

I use a pin vice to remove canon pinion and press hands home , bore holes , alter winding stems profile and many other  stupid  tasks. 

I found a screw driver sharpner very useful, you don't even need the stones, so in case you don't already have one, check this.

https://www.eternaltools.com/watchmakers-screwdriver-sharpening-tool

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't opt for the cheap Chinese mainspring winders and the Swiss set is too expensive.

Depending on what watch you may be working on, you may just be able to buy a new mainspring that you can just pop into the barrel from the card it will be wound into when you buy it.

$200 will buy you a Moebius Lubricants Starter Kit and you'll be set for life... 🙂 

• Like 1