How To Release Tension From The Mainspring

The pictures a bit fuzzy Roger, but remove the magic finger and pinion that it drives by removing the large bridge on top of the movement. Now get a good fitting screwdriver and turn the barrel slightly to release the click. Hold the click out of engagement with a piece of pegwood then let the screwdriver rotate while controlling it with your fingers until there is no tension left in the spring.

• Like 2

From memory Seiko barrels are a little different to the Swiss offerings but the following could be mistaken.

Look at the barrel edge on.

You should see a thin line that runs around the circumference of the barrel half way up its height; this is the join between the barrel and its lid.

using a single edged razor blade push the blade into this joint and work it around the barrel; the two halves should start to separate. 

Repeat with successively wider blades until the two halves can be separated by hand.

• Like 1

To open the barrel, I usually position the barrel as in the first picture, on a hard surface. Open your tweezers wide and locate the barrel between the blades then press down hard on the tweezers and the barrel should pop open.

To open the barrel, I usually position the barrel as in the first picture, on a hard surface. Open your tweezers wide and locate the barrel between the blades then press down hard on the tweezers and the barrel should pop open.

Not so easy with a Seiko barrel :)

Best to use a razor blade very carefully so as not to damage the teeth or burr the metal so a very sharp razor is required. 

Not sure what the official Seiko way of doing it is but this method has served me well over the years.

The reason is that the barrel cap is similar to the Valjoux 7750 but worse, the lip goes right down to the barrel teeth.

**Edit** Just notice that Marc has already provided this info - apologies to Marc 

Ah, that must be different to the last Seiko I worked on, as it opened as I described. I'll file this in the memory bank just in case I come across one like this. Thanks Mark! :)

Tend to do the same as Geo on the Seiko barrels, but I use cheapo brass tweezers.

One question though how do you let the spring down on a Smiths?:

post-80-0-59369300-1435441806_thumb.jpg

no screw to hold the tension.

Turn the crown slightly in the winding direction to allow you to hold the flat click spring back with back with a piece of pegwood. Now let the crown spin under control between your fingers to let the spring unwind.

• Like 2

Cheers Geo. Now why-o-why-o-why didn't I think of that. Beachy Head here I c

o

m

e

splat!