Postal Clock

RogerH

Hi, I've just picked up this charming little postal clock. Looks to be in good order but I'll find out more when I strip it down. Early 20th century Lovejoy & co. My one query are the weights, I only thought cone weights came with cuckoo clocks....any thoughts? And any other information is always gratefully received. 

20220826_124601.jpg

20220826_124611.jpg

20220826_124656.jpg

20220826_124713.jpg

20220826_124749.jpg

• Like 1

Hi  the weights are cuckoo clock ones, I repaired one two years ago and re weights were lead encased in a brass sleave as per the picture below. I have had tow of these wooden framed clocks the second one had copper chains not brass. Also when dismantling take many pictures, the bearings are brass inserts into the wood and the hour wheel used a type of soft rubber compound as the friction from the mains haft to drive the hands.

DSCF3322.JPG

• Like 2

They do come with what are called fern weights. I have even seen them with ball shaped weights. There are variations with pendulums many are long thin wires others are brass or wood.  You should be able tell by the crutch and how wide  space you have when you tread the pendulum through. Mid Victorian I would say and more then likely the movement is Black Forest German. Also know as Wag on the wall clocks.  

Look out for split brass bushes and inside roughness. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I didn't know postal clocks were like that.  The plates/frame - it's all wood.  The pivots of the wheel train turn in bushings in the wood!  I don't work on many clocks, so I've never seen that before.  Are there many kinds of clocks that are made that way?  Anybody know?

12 minutes ago, transporter said:

Mines now on its way to the test stand shortly

F2654BDA-BD01-4EC9-8DA0-1C3AE56C9763.jpeg

That's a good picture!  Plenty of detail.  I wonder how many of my family member's old clocks had bushed wooden frames like this.  This is very educational.  I'm going to keep following this post.  I also have to call some of my brothers and cousins and see if anyone still has some of the old clocks from our ancestors.  I may talk them into getting pictures of the works.
EDIT: you know, @oldhippy, you may turn me into a clock repairman yet.

Edited by KarlvonKoln

I have one of these on the wall, Its problem is the hand drive. It uses a ruberised compound in the center of the hour wheel which has shrunk a bit and will not drive the hands correctly so will have to think of some way to resurect the material or replace it with a rubber bush. As its mine its in the que to be done

DSCF3298.JPG

DSCF3319.JPG

DSCF3318.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oldhippy said:

That's come up very nice. Did you need to treat the wood frame with anything to nourish it? Only sometimes you find cracks because the wood has dried out, caused by central heating. Never put clocks near central heating radiators.   

Old hippy, I’ll be taking the trains out and giving it some treatment with some danish oil. The plates had some splitting but bushes were tight and surprisingly not worn enough to warrant replacing on the higher wheels.

hopefuly it will come up looking better than it does now

• 3 months later...

Hi

I know this is an old post but Old Hippy asked what danish oil is, it is an oil (tung or linseed) with varnish added usually 1\3.

Useful topic as i have two of these tucked away in the loft somewhere, purchased in a job lot from an old watch/clock repairer.