Trying to remove really tight snap off caseback

Hello everyone I’ve just got into the hobby of watchmaking and I’ve been struggling all day trying to open this watch it’s seriously been a task and yet with no success it’s a Orient KY PFAJ-C0 CS it’s a somewhat vintage diver watch (50m) automatic
It’s really annoying me I’ve tried using a case back removal tool no luck it broke pieces off the tool I’ve tried carefully with a Swiss knife no luck stopped because I didn’t want to cause scratches that weren’t already on there. So here I am trying to know if you guys have got something I could try or improve on thank.

Down below I’ve added the watch and the tool I used 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It can be difficult with those hand tools - and easy to cause damage. You could try working a razor blade all the way round to get it started. 

I got fed up causing damage to cases/movements/me, so bought one of these cheapish devices.  It works really well

image.png.771601e94aff1c82a24714559776e6d0.png

• Like 4

Sometimes you have to give the tool a smack with a hammer (small hammer). Case in one hand, holding knife/tool in place, hammer in other.

I've only needed to resort to that a few times, and never damaged anything even though it's rather violent. But a friend of mine did it on an Omega Ranchero and the shock knocked the paint out of the original hands...

Mike's tool is probably the best bet.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

You could try working a razor blade all the way round to get it started. 

This has worked for me so far.  I might look into getting the tool @mikepilksuggests

Oh my...I saw this image and then went to the video.  Hmm...looks like a screw back before he pops it off.  Is it really a snap back?  Interesting.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Hmm...looks like a screw back before he pops it off.  Is it really a snap back?  Interesting

With enough force and leverage they all snap off.😀

The tool looks interesting and I added one to my cart.

Thanks.

Shane 

For the really tricky ones

image.png.de835120254a9bb919af13fa367b439e.png

With the above method you will probably only scratch the case, but I scratched a dial whilst removing a bezel. Which is why I bought the case opener tool. There's no chance of the blade following through and damaging anything.