Is it wise to polish Winding Work Wheels?

Gramham

Hello Everyone,

In what feels like a continuing quest to find a pocket watch movement that is (a) the right size; (b) the right type; (c) well-documented and (d) not overly exotic I have finally been able to procure an American-made Elgin Pocket Watch movement.  I really want to start leveling up my physical technique, but it's been hard to find a practice movement to work on.

Basically, right now, I suck at manipulating the teensy-weensy stuff.  I have already had a few mishaps with little bits of watches I really shouldn't be working on because they are too small for me (Seiko 5, Dollar Watch, 5-Bar Pocket Watch) flying to whereabouts unknown in my work area and hours on my knees with flashlight and magnet in hand to (possibly) retrieve them.

I am terrified to open anything running or of value now, because it's obvious that my technique isn't up to grade.  Problem is, here in Hong Kong, the only timepieces that make it over the Pacific are unusual, exotic and as a result kinda expensive.  I have been purchasing what are relatively inexpensive movements from the (very) limited choices available only to discover that they often feature obscure Swiss cylinder movements, British graham-syle movements, American pin lever movements and so forth.  I have a healthy pile of that kind of watch now, but I really don't feel ready to approach them with any confidence.

But, finally...I got this movement in the mail today!

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/elgin/23687805

Dial Up:

image.png.d9d1e753cab9967aeb47dee57f57e940.png

Dial Down:

image.png.2135ad64bf85c92b47eeb76c9240b7f3.png

So I have a question:  I'd like to start with something really simple, like getting the rust off this movement.

I want to start with the Winding Work.  Does anyone have any advice regarding doing this in a way that won't mess up the wheels?

Should I just de-rust them and leave them stained...or should I attempt to make them "look nicer" by trying to attempt some kind of abrasive art on them?

Any and all suggestions welcome.  I am new at this and I want to start off on the right direction in the right way.  I have lots of time.

g.

-----

I would sand them down and try to get the grain as straight as possible on the last few passes.

Most flat surfaces have some 'surfacing' to help stop the spread of oil so a polish may not be the best thing. A straight line rough finish using sandpaper may not be as good as the original geneva stripes or perlage but may be better than a fully polished surface.

rgds

Anilv

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gramham said:

I really don't feel ready to approach them with any confidence.

I understand how you feel and when I say that every thing has value, there are limits.  After hearing how Mark was tasked with a cheep alarm clock to practice his manipulations, I first took apart dozens of cheep quartz watchs with the understanding they were never going to work again.  These watches often have parts so small that ladies mechanical movements will feel massive afterwards.  I still have several little containers of screws, hands and one of jewels that I removed from them.  Everything else was scrapped.  I would think that this type of movement would be readily available in Hong Kong.

The best of luck.

Shane 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Heres a matt finish.

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/11449-matte-finishing-ratchet-and-crown-wheels/

In case you can top this work, will you share your technique with us.

Thanks.

Hello @Nucejoe

Thank you!  It's so wonderful to have people like you taking the time to point me to well-developed, existing threads so I don't go all "reinventing the wheel" on you guys.  Right now I am Black Swan learning mode ("I don't know what I don't know") so any and all pointers and input are most gratefully accepted!

Thanks again!

g.
----

Here's some updates:

Various tries to get the click polished in an interesting way:

image.png.e26895c6c337c605022dfc3537ff7e4f.png

A before and after as of today (2022-08-26)

image.thumb.png.5edbd2bebde5c2870a38debe369471b2.png

An interesting paper for color treating the wheels (when the polishing phase is done to prevent corrosion from returning:

https://bit.ly/3e0Hjfq

and

https://bit.ly/3PRjRym

g.
----

Edited by Gramham