Hello all,

Embarking on a new adventure!  Starting with an inspection and disassembly of an Omega 351 bumper automatic.  Feels like a privilege, what a blast! Seeing as this is a new movement to me and I'm a little outside of my novice comfort zone. This one looks like it's been sitting on the shelf awhile.  Inscriptions on the case seem to be servicing from the 70's.  I have a few questions to ask and pictures to share along my journey.

The inspection turned up a few key items:

• 1. Large intermediate wheel has two broken teeth
  • 2. The movement is held by a single case clamp and metal bracket that is rusted and bent.  Pulling/pushing the crown moves the entire movement within the case.
  • 3. The barrel has excessive side shake due to wear damage on the barrel bridge.
  • 4. There was a concerning clicking noise about once per full rotation of the crown.
  • 5. Leaning towards replacing the crystal although it's probably salvageable
  • 6. The mainspring is an unknown because I don't have mainspring winders in the budget just yet and thus I haven't opened it. 😞

Question:

• Any tips on securing the movement in the case?  Should I try to bend the bracket? I'm afraid it may break.
  • Any thoughts on the rough click and noise while rotating the crown?  
  • If anyone has a spare intermediate wheel, or bridge to sell please contact me I'm interested.  

Enjoy the pictures from the disassembly! It's about time for the ultrasonic 👀!  I think this is gonna clean up nicely!

Omega351.JPG

IMG_1937.JPEG

IMG_1947.JPEG

IMG_1951.JPEG

IMG_1960.JPEG

IMG_1961.JPEG

IMG_1962.JPEG

IMG_1963.JPEG

IMG_1965.JPEG

• Like 2

Okay, I was being daft, I had the winding pinon upside down and thought it was a second intermediate wheel.  I've been staring at my Raketa too long.  There is only one intermediate wheel on this movement.  The teeth are broken on the winding pinion which makes a lot of sense and very probably explains the gnarly clicking during manual winding.