How To Keep A Loupe From Fogging

Here is the beginners question for today. When I use a loupe after about two to three minutes fog developes on the inside of the loupe such that I cannot see. I can take the loup off my eye and rub the fog away, but it returns in short order. It is so annoying that it makes using a loupe a chore. Is there a fix for this? Thanks in advance for your help and advise.

I tend to find it depends a lot of the eyeglass I'm using, my bergeon 3x eye glass never fogs for whatever reason, probably to do with the property of the materials used. my cheap 12x (two lenses) did until I drilled a hole in the body to allow the moisture to escape.

Weirdly enough it was my experience before then that my eyeglass would steam less quickly if my face and eye muscles were relaxed, but I don't know If I was just imagining that to be the case. 

Edited by Ishima

Here is the beginners question for today. When I use a loupe after about two to three minutes fog developes on the inside of the loupe such that I cannot see. I can take the loup off my eye and rub the fog away, but it returns in short order. It is so annoying that it makes using a loupe a chore. Is there a fix for this? Thanks in advance for your help and advise.

Bill I know exactly what you mean mate!

Nothing is more frustrating then a loupe fogging up when you're trying to concentrate on a difficult task.

This is why I don't wear a loupe any more.

If you'd ask me whats the best investment I've made in this trade, that's help me progress and given me a huge advantage, I'd tell you without a shadow of doubt: it's in optics.

The only optics I use is a pair of Carl Zeiss - Eye Mag Pros.  Yes they weren't cheap, but they have more than paid for themselves with the comfort and joy of being able to clearly see what I'm doing, and in stereo vision: giving me full depth perception; which an eye loupe will never do.

And guess what .... they NEVER fog up ... EVER!

Here's my write-up on them mate.

http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/896-carl-zeiss-eye-mag-pro/?hl=zeiss

Just for the sake of the input, I follow the swimmers trick, being a diver myself, and spit in all glasses/optics in order to prevent fogging. It does work maybe because of my particular spit or because it is so, don't ask me why though. :)

Cheers,

Bob

• 5 years later...

Just revive this thread as a motorcyclist I use dish soap to stop my goggles from fogging up. It works I even use it on a mirror in my shower so I can shave....just take a drop of soap and apply a thin layer to the lense...it won’t affect clarity