Pocket Watch dissasembly, and I found this.

Tammons,

I dug out a mismatched set of parts from storage.

Elgin serial number 19775191.

Model 3, Grade 303, Size 12s, Jewels 7, Class 114, Year 1917, Open Face, Pendent Set.

I think... The main plate, train bridge and balance cock are all matched and just the barrel bridge is not (I would need better light and magnification than I have here to see).  Their just plates nothing else.  If I remember correctly, your's is 15 or 17 jewels.  These are only 7 jewels.  I looked earlier for just a main plate, if I found one I would have just given it to you.  Let me know if you're interested.

Shane 

This is a 17 jewel watch.

I am going to try and get this one running correctly as is. I might as well. None of the jewels are cracked.

And it all looks pretty good except the out of control grinding that is hidden.

I think I have the balance wheel issue sorted out.

After cleaning and assembly, if there is still a problem related to the main plate I will contact you. Thanks.

Edited by tammons

7 hours ago, tammons said:

I am going to try and get this one running correctly as is

That's fine.  If it works it's probably your best course of action.

On 8/18/2022 at 6:47 PM, tammons said:

I don't think this is the original Elgin case.

A significant number of Elgin movements originally sold in non-Elgin cases.  It used to be like going to a deli and ordering a sandwich.  From the description I got, you would tell the jewelers what movement, dial, hands you wanted, as well as what case and the they would put it all together for you.  It must have been amazing to behold.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Shane

What cleaning solution?

I have an ultrasonic machine, and I was going to use lighter fluid in a closed jar in the ultrasonic, but I did the mirror test and it left a cloudy film after it dried. Or should I use it and then do a short clean with Isopropal Alcohol?

What should I use that is available in the USA?

I have a can of one dip, but was going to use that for removable jewels etc.

3 hours ago, tammons said:

lighter fluid in a closed jar in the ultrasonic

I do like the idea of closed jar in the ultrasonic. Maybe a little heat that would be even better and yes that could be really quite nice. The problem with lighter fluid is well several problems it's designed to be easy to light and if it's in the ultrasonic you're going to get I would imagine The ultrasonic action should cause it to produce a vapor or missed possibly because it has such a low temperature to go into vapor anyway. Then throw in a low heat in a close jar and may be a spark and that could be quite interesting make sure you record a video for us

mirror test and it left a cloudy film after it dried

If you want to be successful with lubrication whatever your lubricating has to be clean. If there is a even microscopic layer of oil for instance or almost anything else your oil will not stay word supposed to be.

What should I use that is available in the USA?

There's a variety of material houses you can order from online I have no idea what they charge for shipping. Depending upon where you are in the US and how resourceful you are. Resourceful means how good you are at finding things you might even have a local material house. Yes there really are more material houses and there are online. If you're lucky you find one that's friendly some are some art to hobbyists. Then you could physically pick up your cleaning fluids and save on shipping plus having access to real material house that you are in friendly talking terms is nice for getting things. But in a case there are material houses they will ship then there's this other firm they also shipped for free let's give you an example of a search

Just in case the link doesn't work I use the search term l&r watch cleaning solution. There are probably variations of this because were also specify a brand and conceivably they have other brands. It's been a long time since I purchased any I used remembered at $50 a gallon now it's gone up but you can buy commercial watch cleaning solution and the rents a product designed to clean watches and it does a really nice job. Plus as it's over the minimum shipping it should ship for free. Then yes I know I gallon the cleaning fluid at home will last well not quite forever if he gets old enough it doesn't seem to clean very well so I never even finished my first gallon because it just wasn't cleaning side to get another gallon. The rinse on the other hand seems to last forever other than using it up eventually.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=l%26r+watch+cleaning+solution&crid=31FGIQCM9G0U9&sprefix=L%26R+%2Caps%2C153&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_4

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

Then throw in a low heat in a close jar and may be a spark and that could be quite interesting make sure you record a video for us

On general principles, I would think that you would want to keep the mass down to a minimum.  So a small jar that just large enough to accommodated the parts to be cleaned and just about completely full of solution shouldn't get to a stoichiometric ratio.  Just don't open it hot and spread it around.

Shane 

6 hours ago, tammons said:

There are quite a few L&R watch cleaning and rinsing solutions on Amazon in your link

Yes I suppose there's a lot of choices. Then of course there's the other problem of how to use it. The first link is scroll down far enough is all of the solutions and it even explains how to use the solutions to certain degree

I didn't do all the work for you I've listed out all other cleaners for which there is  three of them with two separate rinses.

10 hours ago, tammons said:

Which one would be the best to start with?

Starting with isn't quite the proper wording. The solutions will do quite a few cleaning of watches so I gallon is not quite a lifetime supply but it's a very long time. Then for the rinse you typically have two or three of those. Usually when you change the cleaning fluid you change the most dirty rinse and then shift them all so basically the second rinse becomes the first rinse the third rinse becomes the second and the new rinse becomes the third for instance if you using three rinses or fusing to you do the same process but just with the two. 

Then I'm using the #111 Waterless Watch Cleaning Solution Ammoniated With the Ultrasonic Watch Rinsing Solution Product Code: 121

https://www.lrultrasonics.com/industries/jewelry-watches

Cleaners

https://www.lrultrasonics.com/solutions/111-ammoniated-waterless-watch-cleaning-solution-112

https://www.lrultrasonics.com/solutions/566-non-ammoniated-waterless-watch-cleaning-solution-115

https://www.lrultrasonics.com/solutions/extra-fine-watch-cleaning-solution-109

Rinse

https://www.lrultrasonics.com/solutions/ultrasonic-watch-rinsing-solution

https://www.lrultrasonics.com/solutions/3-watch-rinsing-solution