Introduction And A Question

Hello all!

A few weeks back, I had no idea of the definition of the term "watchmaker". All started with a new watch with an oversize band. Ever since then I've been online downing information by the gallon. Got my hands on some tools and started studying. All the tools aren't in yet, still waiting on a few to be delivered.

Basically, I want to repair watches as a hobby, and go from there if the interest is greater than that of a hobbyist.

That said, my father has a handful of watches that need new bands, but when I came home from work tonight there was a surprise waiting for me. I haven't a clue how to open it, beginning to think it's a solid back. The crystal is shot anyway and needs to be replaced. No idea as to specific model or date, any help would be appreciated. Picture attached. The brand is Waltham, the dial reads "17 Jewels, Automatic, Shock Resistant". At the very bottom in very small lettering it states "Swiss". I'm guessing the crystal is merely plastic and easily replaced, but that's a guess. A crystal lift is on my list anyway.

He has no problem with me learning on it due to its condition. The finish is damaged and the crystal makes the dial completely unreadable unless at a sharp angle. Seems like a great project to start with, in my uneducated opinion.

At the moment it sits in my drawer, ticking away. If I can give it a new crystal, clean it, and maybe do something with the finish, I'd love to wear it. That said, I'm very happy to be here, looking forward to conversing with all of you and delving into a wonderful new hobby!

post-126-0-34772800-1394516845_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Welcome to the forums, you will find watch repairing to be a fascinating hobby. The watch shown looks ideal to practice on as it's doubtful you could make it much worse. :-) You will find plenty of advice available on here. Good Luck with your new hobby.

I do indeed! Back and a side profile. I've gone over the case with a 5x and a 10x loupe. Cheapie things, the one good one I ordered isn't in yet. I saw one spot that looks like it may possibly be a notch in the case, but that could be wear or damage, or my eyes playing tricks on me.

Am I incorrect in my guess that the crystal is just old and weathered perspex?

I feel bad for this watch. Spent years neglected in a drawer in a garage. She'll be like brand new if it kills me. :)

post-126-0-98684400-1394602454_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-06699200-1394602469_thumb.jpg

I do indeed! Back and a side profile. I've gone over the case with a 5x and a 10x loupe. Cheapie things, the one good one I ordered isn't in yet. I saw one spot that looks like it may possibly be a notch in the case, but that could be wear or damage, or my eyes playing tricks on me.

Am I incorrect in my guess that the crystal is just old and weathered perspex?

I feel bad for this watch. Spent years neglected in a drawer in a garage. She'll be like brand new if it kills me. :)

The glass is perspex. It has a seconds hand so could be a high dome, but I would order both High and Low dome to see if you can get away with the low dome as it will look nicer - depends on wether it fouls the second hand or not.

The chrome is quite worn on the case, down to the brass I wager - that will be a bigger challenge than the glass.

I love bringing watches back from the brink! This Garrard come to me looking less than top a New Glass, full service,new Hirsch strap and of course re-plating, the face I decided not to touch as it isnt that bad and I think any work could ruin it. I wish I had taken a photo of the back of the lugs and the back of the case as it was a mess but hey ho without further ado.

Before

8615546813_1fed3a8386.jpg

IMG_1646 by Jorrit and Hillary, on Flickr

8615543359_a133e15882.jpg

IMG_1648 by Jorrit and Hillary, on Flickr

8616645072_b0f7e432e0.jpg

IMG_1650 by Jorrit and Hillary, on Flickr

And after

8717162732_77bd0ac9a2.jpg

Untitled by Jorrit and Hillary, on Flickr

8716045703_a366c649d6.jpg

8717161026_f6787f2905.jpg

I am really pleased with it Scott at Easy electroplating was really pleasant to deal with and kept me updated at every step of the way.

So what do you think? financially not really worth it, but I wont be selling (for a while anyway!) so worth it in my mind

Hope you get yours sorted its a nice little timepiece

• Like 1

I am really pleased with it Scott at Easy electroplating was really pleasant to deal with and kept me updated at every step of the way.

So what do you think? financially not really worth it, but I wont be selling (for a while anyway!) so worth it in my mind

Hope you get yours sorted its a nice little timepiece

Cracking job! What do they charge for plating?

Opps apologies to the original poster, welcome to the forum. The best way to learn anything is to have a go at it. With this game there is plenty of good advice and instruction here and on the rest of the web, but I warn you now it can become highly addictive & more expensive than crack!

Well, I have an update. I've obtained a crystal lift, and come next pay (two weeks!) I'll be acquiring a few more items. I'm hoping to find some very small oil vials, as I won't need them too often to start, and I'm a bit gun shy when it comes to shelling out fifty bucks or more for a bottle of oil that I won't be using too often. That said, I went with my gut, and popped the back off the watch. Now I can't get it back on by hand, although it'll sit in place and not fall off. Very odd looking...

I did some poking around with my 10x loupe, and found some numbering right about the balance cock.

"1700/01". From what I've seen poking around the net, my guess is it's some version of the AS 1700. Looks simple enough. Now I'll need the rest of the necessaries and some PROPER BLEEDING LIGHTING! Even if only for the experience, I'm going to disassemble it, clean it, and lubricate it. Then I'll look into repairing the case finish.

I get the feeling I'm going to enjoy this. Today at work, I heard the words "my watch stopped". Now I know how a cat feels when catnip is waved under its nose.

post-126-0-70935100-1395116450_thumb.jpg

That'll be an AS1700 then, a very competent movement that came with 17 jewels all the way up to 41 jewels and possibly beyond. As I understand it AS's calibre numbering convention ends in 1 if it has a calendar. So 1700 is the base calibre without date, 1701 is a 1700 that has had a date wheel added. I have no idea where I picked that gem up from or even if it is correct so if anyone else knows different then I would be happy to stand corrected.

The silly number jewelling that some  of these movements enjoy is largely a marketing gimmick. I have an AS 1701 41 jewel variant in a Le Cheminant Master Mariner from the late 50's/early 60's. I serviced it when I first got it and of course wanted to know where all of the extra jewelling went. To my great amusement and indeed horror, 18 of them (I think it was 18) were inset into two of the auto wind intermediate wheels and served absolutely no function at all. What I have is a (very good) 23 jewel movement with a rockery on board!! I have some pics somewhere; if I can find them I will post.

• Like 1

As promised.

post-73-0-57243300-1395178487_thumb.jpg

18 of the 41 jewels in my Master Mariner AS1701. Set into the intermediate wheel and reverser wheel in the auto wind train.

These perform absolutely no function what so ever other than to raise the jewel count of the movement.