An Olma From The 1940S

WillFly

Cheapskate that I am, I can't resist picking up a cheapie on eBay now and then and, for not much more than the price of a round of drinks, got this watch from the 1940s - which arrived this morning. The make is "Olma", a Swiss brand registered in 1926 but now obviously owned by an Asian company. Olma was probably in the lower half of the Swiss watchmaking hierarchy, using good, dependable movements. The one in this watch is an AS 1287 - pre-incabloc, with a typical 1940s, quasi-military dial.

post-64-0-89820700-1433862172_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-44976100-1433862176_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's always tempting to try to repair some of the obvious signs of age - case, crystal, dial, hands, etc. In this instance, the dial is good and the hands are passable. (The strap came fitted new by the seller). But I'm always cautious in these cases.

The case rear is good - quite well chromed and clean - which leaves the bezel and the crystal. The bezel is of a gold-finished base metal and is well "brassed". Not much can be done there other than re-chrome it - which I won't do because it's not worth it. But I might try some very careful and gentle polishing with Autosol. The crystal is high-domed - typical for its period - and has slight scratching across the surface, but is not yellowed (being glass). So I'm actually inclined to leave it - unusual for me because I normally like to replace them.

The movement was serviced by the seller - whatever that might mean. It was set by me this morning and is currently correct almost to the second, and the regulator is almost bang in the middle of the -/+ mark. So - no messing with this one.

It is what it is - a nice, simple, 75-year old wristwatch that cost me very little.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...