Girard Perregaux 1956/57?

Hi folks,

I need some advice and info on one of my watches, A GP from 56 or 57 if the numbers are correct.  Originally Gold Plated but the vast majority of the plating is gone and there is a fair bit of base metal showing around the edges.  The movement is solid and keeps time with the best of them, but the face is white and is absolutely immaculate with barely a mark on it.  Anyhoo, apart from the number on the case and the serial number on the movement, I've been unable to find a calibre marking on it either.  I could be well wide of the mark here, but the hour markers appear to have been machined into the dial, anyone seen this before?I have no other way of identifying this.  Is anyone able to help?

It is an absolutely beautiful watch, but the plating is really annoying me and I'd like to sell it, but I need to know what it is first.

If anyone can help I'd be extremely grateful.

Ta

Frankie

20220811_151850.jpg

20220811_150946.jpg

20220811_151732.jpg

20220811_145716.jpg

20220811_145827.jpg

29 minutes ago, frankiethebear2002 said:

Hi folks,

I need some advice and info on one of my watches, A GP from 56 or 57 if the numbers are correct.  Originally Gold Plated but the vast majority of the plating is gone and there is a fair bit of base metal showing around the edges.  The movement is solid and keeps time with the best of them, but the face is white and is absolutely immaculate with barely a mark on it.  Anyhoo, apart from the number on the case and the serial number on the movement, I've been unable to find a calibre marking on it either.  I could be well wide of the mark here, but the hour markers appear to have been machined into the dial, anyone seen this before?I have no other way of identifying this.  Is anyone able to help?

It is an absolutely beautiful watch, but the plating is really annoying me and I'd like to sell it, but I need to know what it is first.

If anyone can help I'd be extremely grateful.

Ta

Frankie

20220811_151850.jpg

20220811_150946.jpg

20220811_151732.jpg

20220811_145716.jpg

20220811_145827.jpg

Hiya Frankie. Check under the balance assembly mate, quite often therexwill be a manufacturer name and calibre. If not then the keyworks needs a looksee at. 

26 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hiya Frankie. Check under the balance assembly mate, quite often therexwill be a manufacturer name and calibre. If not then the keyworks needs a looksee at. 

Whip it out mate ( the balance assembly that is ) look for manufacturing logos, shields, badges etc. The bestfit books and downloads will show you most of them. 

• Like 1

I worked on something very similar to this several years ago. It was a Girard Perregaux Cal 22. An automatic version of the Cal 20.

20190914_141314.thumb.jpg.ef9953cf92cb747a07dbecf508983657.jpg

I noticed something about your movement, it doesn't have a sweep second hand, seconds pinion and free wheel. I'm not sure if it's a factory option or an after market modification. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks very much for this, folks.  I've been away for a while, so apologies for not responding sooner.

This is far more than I hade before and I'll be following up as best I can.

I don't have the cohonnes yet to whip it out, I'm afraid, its a confidence thing and it'll come, just not on a movement like this one.  I really like the watch and although I said I wanted to sell it, I think id rather find a case for it.  I've a balance to swap on a cimier 10 jewel, so I'll get that out the way first.

The watch is exactly as I found it around 15 years or so ago, so I can't comment on the absence of the parts discussed earlier.

I like the simplicity of it in that it tells you the time and nothing else, but does it in a very pretty way.

So, I'm off to find out what I can from the above references and see how it goes.  I may take some pictures of the cimier balance swap, if I can stop my hands form shaking in trepidation!

Cheers

Frankie