Advice please

I'm making progress ..ish. I've been following the information videos on Youtube and have been able to achieve rebuilds on most of my projects. I can get them working well. Just the case ups to learn next. However I am hitting one problem on the automatics.

I install the oscillators and they do rotate ish. I seem to have the peculiarity of having them 'bounce' in quarter motions. I turn the watch 90 degrees, nothing moves. I shake and the oscillator moves down but I feel a 'bounce' when it gets to the lower position. I do lubricate as per directions on the ball bearings. 

Eta 2789-1. Seiko 6309, 6319, 7009 and 7S26 All have this problem. So it must be me.

Any thoughts please?

Regards

Ross

1 hour ago, Kalanag said:

Are the mainsprings fully wound when you experience that „bouncing“? If so I wouldn‘t be concerned.

Yes they are. However when the spring begins to wind down, there is no automatic wind unless I shake. A normal wrist/arm movement does not produce any motion wind.

One of the problems with automatic watches are the bearings for the Oscillating weight itself. Plus the reverser wheels and the mainspring all require special lubrication.  If lubrication is done wrong on our automatic watch depending upon the watch the automatic may not actually even work at all worst-case. Or a variety of other weird problems could occur.

5 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

I do lubricate as per directions on the ball bearings.

How do you lubricate or what do you use for lubrication?

Strange,  but is the rotor hitting  something, like a screw head etc.

Remove the rotor and test its functionality, it should at least rotate under its own weight.

Have you seen this vid? a test to judge rotors efficiency.

https://youtu.be/kafxnxt0EZY

Check how  it winds by hand.

All parts of the rotor module ( auto winder device) should be check under good magnification.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Tip of oiler with D5 on 2 ball bearings of oscillator. 

D5 is way too thick for ball bearings.  If anything, a minuscule amount of 9010 would do.

However that is not the cause of your problem. If, as correctly noted, the weight won't drop on its own when the watch is fully wound, that is not necessarily a problem,

But if that happens with the watch unwound then something is seriously wrong you should take all the barrel and auto winding system apart, inspect and reason on each part and check its function.

Since Seiko and ETA use radically different systems it's unlikely that the cause will be the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1