Any Chance Mark?

I would love to see Mark set up a video course for the fingers and thumb brigade who now have a passion for watches ( I basically mean me haha ) where we maybe able to buy a movement that Mark could show us step by step  the  skill of taking apart and re-assembling said movement.

Simple ones to start then progressing to the higher calibre ones.

I for one am really keen but so far have yet to attempt any of the above,my skill has just been to put a movement into a case of my choice and I know that is not really satisfying my itch.

I do read of courses at local Univeristies but thats a feasable thing for me these days.

But just learning the basics would please me and I reckon others as well

I find all Mark's tutorial videos very very educational and really wel presented,he shows all the enthusiasm that I find easy to follow.

Next on your list of things please Mark

And any apology if I have put you in an awkward position this is not my intention , I also feel that somewhere amongst these numerous posts that this may have come up before so apologies for my repeative babble

That's certainly an interesting idea, could be a lot of fun for some of us. (as well as really educational) I wonder what mark would think of it. It may be just too much work, potentially, as mark makes videos based of some of his actual repair work it's two birds with one stone with most of his current videos. (not suggesting the editing and such does itself mind you)

Edited by Ishima

There can never be too many of Mark's videos and I'd like to see something more everyday featured.

Ishima's right though, there's a lot of work in making a video and no profit in it if it's just to keep us happy. Still, I'd be happy to send a watch to Mark and pay him to service it if he'd consider featuring it.

The most exotic watches I own are only 1960s Omegas but I have a number of lesser brands of reasonable quality that might be candidates for video stardom.

A Certina 320B, or a Favre-Leuba Lavina FL150 would be my initial offerings, or maybe one of my Roamers.

Tbh I never really thought of how much work Mark must put into the videos he makes, and I can now understand if this idea did not make it.

But I for one never tire of watching the videos and do appreciate all the work Mark puts in,so its fingers crossed he likes the idea or can rattle out a few more of his quality tutorials

I'm a 'fingers and thumbs' nube too who is trying to absorb as much as possible in the hope that I can scrape myself off the floor and get on the first rung of my new obsession with watch repair and horology

I'm a subscriber to Marks Patreon feed (downloadable versions of his videos) and he mentions having a repair course in the works - something I will DEFINITELY be subscribing too, as I find the quality of his videos amazing and so easy to follow.

I'm just working through a course I bought from TimeZone - which is full of great detail but doesn't include videos - which is a real shame.

I'm also thinking of the BHI distance courses, but they are a massive commitment - and they seem to be more skewed towards clock repair - which is interesting by not really where I want to focus my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should start off with a Gents pin pallet movement there big enough so if anything goes wrong it really won't matter. I used to practise with old movements, just take them apart and put them back together, hopefully with no parts left out. 

• Like 1

I'm a 'fingers and thumbs' nube too who is trying to absorb as much as possible in the hope that I can scrape myself off the floor and get on the first rung of my new obsession with watch repair and horology

I'm a subscriber to Marks Patreon feed (downloadable versions of his videos) and he mentions having a repair course in the works - something I will DEFINITELY be subscribing too, as I find the quality of his videos amazing and so easy to follow.

I'm just working through a course I bought from TimeZone - which is full of great detail but doesn't include videos - which is a real shame.

I'm also thinking of the BHI distance courses, but they are a massive commitment - and they seem to be more skewed towards clock repair - which is interesting by not really where I want to focus my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have looked at the BHI courses but they are expensive and are specific to certain areas of horology. They do not provide a general overview course so I gave it a miss.

I have looked at the BHI courses but they are expensive and are specific to certain areas of horology. They do not provide a general overview course so I gave it a miss.

I did one of those just after starting my apprenticeship. I didn't have to attend any collage I did mine working within the workshop, you need a good workshop to undertake all of the work, you could buy the materials from a firm that they recommended and post the B H I your finished work. The company I worked for paid for me. I didn't find it easy at all and for me it wasn't an enjoyable experience. I learned far more with my master, watching his hands on experience and being able to ask him questions, the one part that was amusing was he was right handed and I'm left handed.  

Aloha All , I have been repairing my own watches for about a year now , mostly Seiko s and Citizens . but also a few Swiss and other types including a few electric. electronic , and quartz . The mechanicals are my favorites hands down .  

Almost all of what I have learned has been through Marks Watch Repair Channel and any other YouTube video I can find . I also belong to SCWF , the Seiko Citizen Watch Forum , which has a large database of Tech manual PDF's , Tech links and a membership that is very savvy on all things Seiko and Citizen .

It is amazing how many watches I have repaired , and aesthetically refurbished in just one short year with the knowledge I have been able to garner when I activilly look for an answer to the situations I encounter with these .

It feels good when I can take a watch and give it new life and then show it to the original owner and hear , " I can't believe that's the same watch " . 

Cheers , Louis

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a great idea Cheaptrick. I worked on an AS 1880 while watching his AS 1900 videos and I've been tempted to buy an Asian 6498 clone to follow along with the IWC FA Jones video (which I think is a 6498). His videos are great to follow along with even if you don't have the exact same movement since the basics are, for the most part, the same.