Brass tweezer recommendation

Can't recommend them yet, but I have a pair of Dumont 1AM brass tweezers on my wishlist. 

I have a pair of Erem AM brass, but the tip is a little too blunt for me, but I still use them quite a bit.

My other goto tweezers are a pair of Asco P5 bronze tweezers,  the tips work well but being a bit harder than brass they can scratch.

IMG_20220810_104016.thumb.jpg.1051d1594937eaac50f4864273a9a236.jpg

IMG_20220810_104030.thumb.jpg.262c44aee8a1c84f8ec4a867573ded39.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnFrum said:

So if you dress these tweezers the gold plating will be removed? Are the tips polished?

Correct, dressing would remove the gold.  In fact, using them removes the gold.  I have replated them once or twice...just for fun.

Polished?  I guess.  They are nice tips, but not sharp.  Half of the cost for these was for the name...maybe more.

• Like 1

I always preferred nickel tweezers to brass; much stronger, but with similar "grippiness" when handling small parts, which is their main advantage over steel in my opinion. They come in #11 and #12, which I can't really tell apart, but they are similar to #3 steel tweezers in size and shape. When new they are quite fine. After some time they become more and more blunt with redressing- I have some 20+ years old that have lost a good 2 cm of length and are useful when some real force is needed. They are more expensive than brass but worth it in my opinion. 

• Like 3

The guy (Thium?) on the Vintage Watch Services YouTube channel uses a curved brass tweezer.  I would love to have one of those. I see there is a French company that offers something similar but I don't think its the same tweezer. He might have made it somehow. 

Matt

On 8/11/2022 at 6:33 AM, JohnFrum said:

Question: what is the purpose of the gold plating? To manipulate hands etc?

On 8/11/2022 at 7:43 AM, LittleWatchShop said:

Correct, dressing would remove the gold.  In fact, using them removes the gold.  I have replated them once or twice...just for fun.

the purpose of the gold plating is to stop the oxidation of the parts of the brass tweezers that your hand/palm comes into contact with. I have the Bergeon brass unplated tweezers, and they turn brown quite quickly.

On 8/11/2022 at 7:43 AM, LittleWatchShop said:

They are nice tips, but not sharp.  Half of the cost for these was for the name...maybe more.

I use the unplated Bergeon brass tweezers (7422), and I find them to be the best, as they require very little force to close and grip items. I haven’t had the need to dress these tweezers as long as you don’t try and force things with them, and take proper care of them.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 3:31 PM, LittleWatchShop said:

I have a pair of Bergeon 2AM gold plated tweezers but want a pair with sharper tips (is that AM style?).

I see some cheap ones and expensive ones (Horotec, Peer) and some cheap ones.

Thoughts?

I think this may help: https://www.sellbase-plateforme.com/media/tbrp/tbrp/7/70/7029-S5-GF.pdf

The Bergeon brass tweezers (all gold plated) come in a few flavors: AM, 1AM, 2AM, F, and S5. If I'm not mistaken, all of these brass tweezers are made by Dumont for Bergeon.

Seems like the 1AM one is the finest? I have one, and have to say it is my absolute favorite for light work. I do actively remember not to stress it out when working.

On 8/10/2022 at 10:33 PM, JohnFrum said:

Question: what is the purpose of the gold plating? To manipulate hands etc?

As @ifibrin mentioned, the gold plating stops the brass from discoloring due to the brass reacting to the sweat from your hands. But it has a bonus effect of looking really good and making you feel special using it, and others will also notice how special you look. Also these good people around you will then contemplate "borrowing" it for various tasks, such as applying stickers and plucking eyebrows.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 8/11/2022 at 3:51 PM, Nibbler said:

The guy (Thium?) on the Vintage Watch Services YouTube channel uses a curved brass tweezer.  I would love to have one of those. I see there is a French company that offers something similar but I don't think its the same tweezer. He might have made it somehow. 

Matt

He uses Regine tweezers.  After a little digging, it looks to be model 7A-BRA.

https://www.regine.ch/products.php?subid=27&lang=E&Tq=R&Taf=W&Tm=BRA&Tbase=46&twpg=1

On 8/11/2022 at 4:38 PM, dadistic said:

Like these? I sometimes use them to set bridge screws in place. 

https://violatweezers.com/

IMG_20220811_163301.thumb.jpg.6be77f8f7e482bbb2d6ab78f248427ab.jpg

Thanks for this.  I've been trying to find an affordable option for #7 style brass tweezers aside from the big brand one's costing nearly $50.  I ordered one of these tonight, and am looking forward to testing it out.

I have a #7b Dumont with serrated tips.  I find those tweezers especially handy to hold cap jewels between the serrations while using pegwood.  Unfortunately they aren't anti-magnetic so I only use them for that purpose.  They do a great job of holding the jewels while they are being cleaned though.

On 8/11/2022 at 1:51 PM, Nibbler said:

Matt

I messaged him a few months ago and he gave me the link to the site he gets them from but they didn't respond to my (many) emails and you can't, for some reason, order them directly from the website.

I ended up getting this pair for $15:

https://www.waveroomplus.com/Viola-7-BR-TWEEZERS-Style-7-Brass_p_117.html

I bought two pair and one of the pair came with the tips bent, fyi. Otherwise I really like them.