Parrenin 171X stops

Hello watchfriends, I have a commodoor three start mechanical watch, with a Parrenin 171 movement. The watch runs nice until 23:17 hours. Than the minute and hour hand stop, but the second hand stays running. This problems doesn't occur at 11:17 hours. What could probably cause this problem. Thank you all in advance. With kind regards, Hans

Hallo Nucejoe, yes it has a date complication. Is it the date wheel dat stops the motiontrain you think?

Setting the time by hand works fine. Setting the time changes the date at 24:00 hours is oké to. 

I think that I have found the problem. I removed the dayjumperspring and now it runs. Now I have to find out what the problem is with the jumper/spring. Thnx for thinking along. 

Edited by Gaus

Hi Gaus

Yes I think its the load added by date jumper at hrs 23rd that makes canon pinion slip.

You have bypassed  the load by advancing the hands passed hr 24.

I make sure I have the right spring pushing the date jumper, lubricate the jumper mech and the date ring groove,  canon pinion might need a bit of tightening too. 

Worn date ring teeth is also a possibility in which case the ring is slightly pushed to the side.

Good luck 

Hello Nucejoe, thank you very much for your advice. I'll further investigate and  share the results. this seems to be the original spring, but putting it back is a hell of a job 🙂! It take a lot of time and patience!

Hello Nucejoe, I promised to inform you after further investigation. The cannon pinion of the Parrenin consists of two parts (extra gear for friction). The cannon pinion was functioned oké. After lubrication of the jumper mechanism and the date ring groove, the watch runs very nice. So thank you again for your advice. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gaus said:

Hello Nucejoe, I promised to inform you after further investigation. The cannon pinion of the Parrenin consists of two parts (extra gear for friction). The cannon pinion was functioned oké. After lubrication of the jumper mechanism and the date ring groove, the watch runs very nice. So thank you again for your advice. 

Hi Gaus, slightly off topic but which model Commodoor is this? I'm looking for a Parrenin 171X movement for a project and there are a couple of different model Commodoor watches on ebay at the moment.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.