First WRT meetup!!

31 minutes ago, dadistic said:

Well, we're settled in the Duluth area, so next time you come up to the BWCA we'd love to have you stop by.

Cheers!

Actually!!  Leaving Sep 9th for BWCAW!!  Have not finalized my driving plan, but maybe we will drop by.  I love Duluth...made it a side trip on about half of my voyages.

Great!

Hope you make it. Just noticed on your profile that you are into Ukuleles. My wife is seriously addicted to them, and has been playing for years. She had a club when we were in Illinois.  If you come, maybe you could bring a uke. If not, I'm sure Liz would let you play hers, she's got a whole flock of them.

Cheers!

Edited by dadistic
update

Lol...my wife too. She worked with elderly, teaching them. This trio, I am bringing my neighbor and his wife...their first trip. She is also a player.. mostly guitar. So, yeah, we need to do this. I was just looking on the map to see a good place to stay in the area. BTW, are you a professional watchmaker or amateur like me?

4 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

live south of the cities. I'd love to be a part of an WRT meet up! name it i'll be there.

Lol...let's make it happen!

8 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Lol...my wife too. She worked with elderly, teaching them. This trio, I am bringing my neighbor and his wife...their first trip. She is also a player.. mostly guitar. So, yeah, we need to do this. I was just looking on the map to see a good place to stay in the area. BTW, are you a professional watchmaker or amateur like me?

Lol...let's make it happen!

sure! I love it up north and have been there many many times. Fished the BWCA and Gunflint Trail and did a week snowshoe/cc ski camp, and another week portaging all thru the BWCA starting near pelican Rapids. love Duluth too. but anywhere is good to me! there's a few in here from MN.

1 hour ago, MechanicMike said:

live south of the cities. I'd love to be a part of an WRT meet up! name it i'll be there.

Yes! 

I'm semi-pro I guess, I flip watches that I've restored, and I do some work for collectors. Most of the work I do for other people has been barter, for parts 🙂

Now that I'm free of my previous career, I'm urgently trying to up my game. We'll see 🙂

There are three of four places on Route 53 that are within minutes of our townhouse, other than that I'd suggest Lutsen Resort, but that's a couple of hours away.

We are at Stebner and Maple Grove.  Happy to have people over to the townhouse to meet and have a drink and snacks. With enough advance notice I might be able to reserve the clubhouse, which is a nice place to hang out in.  

Edited by dadistic
  • Like 2

Oh, I remembered a really nice place to stay that is about 15-20 minutes from us.  It's the Park Point Marina Inn, just across the Aerial Bridge on the point. Real close to Canal Park, which is where all of the fun stuff is.

We stayed there when we came up to do reconnaissance a year or so ago, we really enjoyed it. 

Cheers! 

21 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

weather? bugs? or both?

Snowbank to Jordan a week after ice out. Great solitude but lots of rain and every day trip was met with headwinds. One night the weather radio warned of 60 mph winds, possible tornado and large hail. It passed a ou 10 miles to the west of us. Black flies were murderous.  It took a month and a half for the whelp to heal. Only caught one fish. But...we had solitude.

23 hours ago, dadistic said:

Park Point Marina Inn

yep! loved it there. great place to stay.

22 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Snowbank to Jordan a week after ice out. Great solitude but lots of rain and every day trip was met with headwinds. One night the weather radio warned of 60 mph winds, possible tornado and large hail. It passed a ou 10 miles to the west of us. Black flies were murderous.  It took a month and a half for the whelp to heal. Only caught one fish. But...we had solitude.

when its nice out its beautiful. when the weather turns tho, it's bad. its crazy. and I knew it must of been the flies. have to put layers on so the bites aren't so bad. we were moving across Burnside Lake and a rogue cell came from nowhere. wind, rain and whitecaps were so bad we had to paddle like mad to an island and wait it out. when we reached base camp everybody was so happy to see us they thought we might not have made it!

50 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

yep! loved it there. great place to stay.

when its nice out its beautiful. when the weather turns tho, it's bad. its crazy. and I knew it must of been the flies. have to put layers on so the bites aren't so bad. we were moving across Burnside Lake and a rogue cell came from nowhere. wind, rain and whitecaps were so bad we had to paddle like mad to an island and wait it out. when we reached base camp everybody was so happy to see us they thought we might not have made it!

All of my trips have been June, July, August, and Sep until this May.  I have never felt the water so cold.  From reading the BWCA board, I was advised to carry a "ditch kit" in case we swamped the canoe.  I have never swamped one in the 500 or so miles I have paddled, but you better believe, I carried a ditch kit...as did my buddy.  Not knowing what to expect, and learning to deal with is the mystique of the BW even with the danger.  I love it there, and will go as long as my body will hold out!

a ditch kit that's awesome! but 40 years ago when i went the only safety we had was our lone guide, a pre-planned out route and the fact that the base camp knew our route and if we weren't back at the pre-planned time, search and rescue would be called on lol! never gave that any thought-we were bullet proof kids back then! 

curious-those kits are expensive as all get out! did you make your own? 

3 hours ago, MechanicMike said:

curious-those kits are expensive as all get out! did you make your own?

Made my own...a simple version. Fire starter, waterproof matches, emergency blanket. Yeah, probably would not have saved me. We stayed close to shore as much as we could, but coming back, crossing Snowbank,  we took a direct route in spite of wind and rain. We had enough...just wanted to get back! I am 67 years old...it was a tough trip for me...lol

On 8/8/2022 at 4:55 PM, LittleWatchShop said:

We had enough...just wanted to get back! I am 67 years old...it was a tough trip for me...lol

oh believe me-even all those years ago I remember being pretty terrified we might not make it even to just get to the island. Even happier when we saw the other group pull up to the same place we did!