Does a damaged stem have to do with movement stopping?

I recently purchased a watch and it runs well but stops randomly everyday at random times. The hands aren't touching each other.  

After some inspection, I've noticed that the stem has a small chip (which explains why winding it took a lot of force) and I was curious if this had anything to do with the movement stopping? Or does the stem and movement have nothing to do with each other? Photos are attached but a little blurry. 

Sorry for a beginner's question but any help would be great. Thank you! 

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 3.57.25 PM.png

In theory you could wind the watch, remove the stem and if everything else is OK, the watch should run.

Did you take the watch all the way apart?

If what you're calling a "chip" really is a chip and the piece has gotten into the teeth of the wheels, or the hairspring or any other part of the movement - THAT would affect the movement starting and stopping.

Let's see what the experts have to say (I'm just a padawan).

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply.

I double checked and I the "chipped" piece is not inside the watch. However when the watch stops, if I pull out the crown to the position to change the time, the watch starts running again. Again, not sure if this is because of the stem or if the small amount of shock gets the watch running again. 

40 minutes ago, livefastdieold said:

I double checked

You didn't say if you took the watch totally apart and inspected all the pieces.

The stem shouldn't have anything to do with the watch not running.

What does this watch look like? Pictures of the movement would help. Is it a manual wind or automatic? Or, is it a quartz watch? You haven't really given us enough to go on.

Does it have a seconds hand? Does the seconds hand move when you pull the stem out? Does it still run when you push it back?

• Like 2

Vintage Omega from the late 60s. I bought it on eBay advertised as working but seller will not accept a refund since it was working when they sent it out. 

I didn't take apart the whole watch (I'm too afraid to) but took off the oscillating rotor and the automatic movement below. I took off the hands and reset them just in case. I'm understanding that this is probably not a stem issue but I will update photos of the watch tomorrow. 

It should come under ebay,s guarantee. Get in touch with ebay and say it was advertised as working tell them what you have done to try and get a refund. Ebay will sort it out for you. So the stem has a chip in it , more then likely that chip is fouling up the movement and is the main cause for the watch to keep stopping. 

• Like 2