Movement holders?

BillM

I have several of these plastic movement holders and it seems like there’s never a good fit on any movement I use with them. 
This Seiko 6309 is barley held in place, when I install screws I find the movement popping out of place sometimes. 
what do you guys use? 

0EB499F7-721B-4CDB-8A46-3B79EF07A03E.jpeg

37 minutes ago, spectre6000 said:

Bergeon 4040.

Agreed, a solid tool.  I bought a cheep no-name holder from eBay with free returns.  It was supposed to be a spare holder.  I returned it because it was so poorly machined that only three corners would support the movement from underneath, hold the movement about it's periphery or touch the table at any one time.  The adjustment screw wobbled wich meant the offending corner changed from time to time and ruled out my interest in making any improvements to it.

But a quality tool, you will be better off.

The P (plastic) versions don’t do as good a job as the metal versions, as they’re softer and don’t grip the movements as well. I suspect the plastic versions exist for fear of making markings on movements when using the steel ones, but I’ve not seen any damage caused by them - even when clamping them pretty tight.

If you should own an 3D printer you can create perfect fitting holders custom made for each of the movements you work on.

AACEA999-7FF4-4B44-9E81-FD71911D8EA3.thumb.jpeg.a1745a35ec78aba5970559b4f415f36f.jpeg 

4 hours ago, BillM said:

… when I install screws I find the movement popping out of place sometimes….

With vice type holders thats my experience too.

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 1

I mostly use the 4040 or it's little brother 4039, but I also have some that are phenolic fiber in those sizes and really like them too. For "flippy" movements like chronographs  a round full contact holder is best. The round bergeon can be had in any size and adapted, but I often turn them up from Delrin (I make it for a light friction fit) or brass or aluminum which I split and use a screw to tighten. The movement can be fit dial up or down.

In the pic bottom left is a commercial chrono holder, the other bottom ones are shop made. Above is one of the phenolic holders and a couple more Delrin shop made and a few of the round metal Bergeons.

20220729_101207.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

For "flippy" movements like chronographs  a round full contact holder is best. The round bergeon can be had in any size and adapted, but I often turn them up from Delrin (I make it for a light friction fit) or brass or aluminum which I split and use a screw to tighten. The movement can be fit dial up or down.

"Flippy" is a good description. I had a Valjoux chrono flip out several times whilst testing the buttons. It just wouldn't sit properly in the 4040. I've ordered some cheap plastic holders. I'm hoping a bit of cutting/filing and they will be better for such movements.

image.thumb.png.2d37d398d16c35a480754ac8492c2a41.png

Great info here, thanks everyone. 
looks like I’ll Be making some round holders soon. 

nickelsliver,  do you machine the metals ones just under size and then use a cam screw to expand the opening to fit the movement? 

One can never have too many dedicated size/shape movement holders. I like the Marshall (I think HR made them as well.) 4-sided vise style a lot for small movements, but it sometimes doesn't grip them right. Heck, even the Bergeon holder made for 6 3/4 x 8 ligne movements isn't perfect when trying to hold the movement dial down. Dial up it's great. But it's always nice to have one specifically designed to accommodate a particular movement. I'm always on the lookout for an interesting movement holder that looks like it will work well. 

The Bergeon 4040 looks like a good one, and is truly ubiquitous, but is one I don't have. Good luck.

Well, here’s my first custom movement holder, pretty happy with it, in fact I wish I would have made this before I started on this movement, I’ll almost done with it. 

I ordered the 4040 anyway, but figured I try making one in the mean time.  
thanks for all the help guys!

9DF1E4E5-D2E5-42A6-AD9D-070093CE3492.jpeg

64B72DA8-7B75-4210-895D-B1577BF5DD25.jpeg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Nice design. An inner and outer lip to accommodate both the bare movement and the movement+spacer ring.

Most of the available dedicated Seiko 7s26+ holders require the dial holder spacer to be in place.

One exception is the holder by Murphy Manufacturing. It has an inner ring that supports the bare plate and an outer sleeve that can be raised to hold the spacer ring. 

On 7/29/2022 at 2:59 AM, BillM said:

I have several of these plastic movement holders and it seems like there’s never a good fit on any movement I use with them. 
This Seiko 6309 is barley held in place, when I install screws I find the movement popping out of place sometimes. 
what do you guys use? 

0EB499F7-721B-4CDB-8A46-3B79EF07A03E.jpeg

Similar to the cheap Chinese ones. A lot of it has to do with the shape of movement plate. Bevels on the mainplate can cause uneveness on the jaws of the cheap holders.

One thing that you need to watch while placing the movement into the holder is what the holder is going to clamp on. In your very first photo it looks like you'd need to rotate the movement so the points where it engages are located on portions of the circumference where there is a solid section (rather than at a point where there is a cut out.

The 4040 has several ways that a movement can be placed and you have to ensure that you have the movement flat and lined up on both sides. You can also flip the 4040 over and use the different configuration on the bottom (or top).

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 3:10 AM, grsnovi said:

One thing that you need to watch while placing the movement into the holder is what the holder is going to clamp on. In your very first photo it looks like you'd need to rotate the movement so the points where it engages are located on portions of the circumference where there is a solid section (rather than at a point where there is a cut out.

The 4040 has several ways that a movement can be placed and you have to ensure that you have the movement flat and lined up on both sides. You can also flip the 4040 over and use the different configuration on the bottom (or top).

Good point G, this is very common. Points of contact can low on cheap movement holders even on bergeon 4040 depending on the shape and layout of the movement. The cheap ones do not have enough depth on the jaws where the size increased are. I prefer the ones that have a wooden grip on each corner. Here are a couple of pocket watch and larger watch size holders and also a jewelers vice with a little hack to create the same idea. Also a circular full grip holder, here the curved jaws are undercut to help grip over a movement lip, also has a nice stable base that doesnt decrease when mounting smaller movements like the bergeon 4040 does.  I mostly use my adapted one as it gives me a nice table to put small parts on when working and the base is permanently sized and stable also. It has a good weight to it unlike other holders that knock about easily, you know its there so to speak. And then the fixed ones that seem far too light for me.

16625386288352696275268388711239.jpg

16625387042604815585657156050487.jpg

1662538757877282388275414005167.jpg

16625388364338617375805324268856.jpg

• Like 1