Golden Rooster Jinji

Continuing to work through the cheap vintage watches I got from taobao.

PXL_20220722_093356691.thumb.jpeg.43baec21edf803c87142491572dde196.jpeg

Next under the microscope, I present the Golden Rooster. I call it differently because apparently I am a 9 year old boy.

Basically it is the same movement as the previous ZTZA movement. This just calls it differently the 7120 movement? Another difference here is that there is 2 extra jewels, so instead of 17 it is 19. Feels the same to me. This one does feel like everything feels a better fit and the power train bridge did fell into all the pivots at first go. (Score!)

20220726_104921.thumb.JPG.a2e8041c0033bd09adf5884779c65197.JPG

Again a manual movement. I am feel like I gaining more confidence in taking it apart and cleaning and putting things back together. There was only 1 heart attack, when the incabloc spring refused to go back into the slot. A coffee and a cigarette after, was able to coax it back into place. 

Side note, since getting the stereo microscope really helps. Being able to see if you are holding on to small bits with your tweezers actually seems to help. Who knew?

20220726_104812.thumb.JPG.983b123499b5ee3983f1c34357006da3.JPG

The golden rooster is from sometime in the 70s or 80s and from Shanghai watch factory. One annoying thing about these 3 watches are they are 19mm lug width. They are ok, but replacement watch bands costing more than the watch itself means that I have to use the ones that are supplied. Which is fine, but sometimes you want options. I humbly present the Golden Rooster, put back together.

20220726_104655.thumb.JPG.71fb0cd3c5b71d96bff0859731c0d084.JPG

• Like 5

4 hours ago, suomaf said:

Continuing to work through the cheap vintage watches I got from taobao.

PXL_20220722_093356691.thumb.jpeg.43baec21edf803c87142491572dde196.jpeg

Next under the microscope, I present the Golden Rooster. I call it differently because apparently I am a 9 year old boy.

Basically it is the same movement as the previous ZTZA movement. This just calls it differently the 7120 movement? Another difference here is that there is 2 extra jewels, so instead of 17 it is 19. Feels the same to me. This one does feel like everything feels a better fit and the power train bridge did fell into all the pivots at first go. (Score!)

20220726_104921.thumb.JPG.a2e8041c0033bd09adf5884779c65197.JPG

Again a manual movement. I am feel like I gaining more confidence in taking it apart and cleaning and putting things back together. There was only 1 heart attack, when the incabloc spring refused to go back into the slot. A coffee and a cigarette after, was able to coax it back into place. 

Side note, since getting the stereo microscope really helps. Being able to see if you are holding on to small bits with your tweezers actually seems to help. Who knew?

20220726_104812.thumb.JPG.983b123499b5ee3983f1c34357006da3.JPG

The golden rooster is from sometime in the 70s or 80s and from Shanghai watch factory. One annoying thing about these 3 watches are they are 19mm lug width. They are ok, but replacement watch bands costing more than the watch itself means that I have to use the ones that are supplied. Which is fine, but sometimes you want options. I humbly present the Golden Rooster, put back together.

20220726_104655.thumb.JPG.71fb0cd3c5b71d96bff0859731c0d084.JPG

Great work suomaf. If you are taking cheaply made watches apart, servicing them and getting them back together and working then you are doing well matey. Haha yes the microscope did i say you would make leaps and bounds with your learning and skill once you had it , did I ? , did I ? 🤣.  A great saying often said here, so I'll use it again,  you cant fix what you cant see. Seriously mate, bloody good show. Maybe you need an issue so we can talk 😁

30 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

Well done!

What does this sentence mean: „I call it differently because apparently I am a 9 year old boy.“?

Haha. Golden Rooster. Its one of the symbols of the chinese zodiac. I'm assuming that Suomaf thinks he has the same qualities as the Golden Rooster. I'm guessing the 9 year old boy is his reference to himself or more likely his wife's reference to him 🤣.  Anywhere near Suomaf matey ?

2 hours ago, Kalanag said:

Well done!

What does this sentence mean: „I call it differently because apparently I am a 9 year old boy.“?

Even though I have been on this blue ball of ours for half a century, I still have toilet humour like a boy.  👑🍆 😬 

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

A great saying often said here, so I'll use it again,  you cant fix what you cant see.

Yes you did, and you are so right. Thank you very much!! I am going to be quoting you for this line now buddy, this is a good line. 

18 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

A Cracking job all three back and working  Quite an achievement  and no mis haps.  The attitude is good  back off have a coffee, calm down and go again and get a result    again well done.

Thank you Sirs, this is getting fun. I read somewhere that when you first start something, you know nothing. When you know a little, you think you know everything.  Then when you know more, you know that you there is so much you do not know. You know?

I like to think I am at the stage where I now that there is so much more to learn.

So next on the thing to arrive is one of these auto oilers. I am excited to see how much stress I can save by oiling the cap jewels this way.

169516263_Screenshot2022-07-26at5_33_41PM.thumb.png.1e012f28750acaa6af926906d1c46e3a.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, suomaf said:

Even though I have been on this blue ball of ours for half a century, I still have toilet humour like a boy.  👑🍆 😬 

Haha now I know what you didn‘t want to speak out puplicly! 🤣

Edited by Kalanag
  • Haha 2

Even though I have been on this blue ball of ours for half a century, I still have toilet humour like a boy

Haha, thats because its the funniest 😆.  I get into trouble for it all the time.

When you know a little, you think you know everything. 

And bcause of this, a little bit of knowledge is dangerous 🤣

• Haha 1

Nice one matey, that is also a nice looking watch.  I'm nowhere near the stage of taking apart and reassembling yet, not too confident at all.  I'm still at the stage of almost shaking as I take a back off to have a quick look.  I have nowhere near enough equipment to pretend i'm James May, not yet anyway.

I'm still in the caveman part of horological evolution in that if it doesn't work when IO poke it with a stick, I call on an adult to help.

Frankie

On 7/26/2022 at 1:44 PM, Kalanag said:

Haha now I know what you didn‘t want to speak out puplicly! 🤣

Surely you mean Pubelicly??

• Like 1