How to remove the movement on a Wittnauer Diver Ref 4000 Wittnauer C11KS-1?

Hi everybody, I hope you are all in good health!

I have a crusty Wittnauer skin diver I would like to begin servicing. After removing the case back, crown stem, and two movement securing screws I found that the movement still wouldn't come out of the case. Now I am beginning to wonder if the movement comes out of the front, however, I would like to confirm this before getting a crystal lift. I have seen this exact Wittnauer on this forum before so I was hoping somebody who is knowledgeable could advise.

Cheers!

Witt1.jpg

Witt2.jpg

witt3.jpg

If the surrounding ring to which the case screws were tightened is part of the case you’ll have a frontloader. If this ring is loose in the case  its a movement holding ring and the movement gets out through the back.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

If the surrounding ring to which the case screws were tightened is part of the case you’ll have a frontloader. If this ring is loose in the case  its a movement holding ring and the movement gets out through the back.

Good simple explanation Kalanag. I have just aquired a mil spec pocket watch with the same movement mounting. I now have to find a crystal lifter large enough to pull the front off a 19 ligne watch. I have not checked my standard Bergeon yet, i have fingers crossed lol.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

Thanks, Kalanag. The movement ring does seem to be part of the case (or at least very firmly attached). I'll go ahead and remove the crystal and see if I have any luck. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have two of these.  The movement comes out the back. 

The ring installs on the movement interfacing to the back of the dial and the, otherwise, case screws fasten this ring to the movement and dial to make a complete unit.  This drops in the case and is held firm with the back.

I suggest that you remove the balance to protect it and then proceed with removing the movement.  Most likely, there is some rust that is holding it in.

I will take some pictures of the inside after my morning coffee.

2022-01-25 08_25_11-20220125_082131.jpg ‎- Photos.png

Here are more pictures.  I added pictures of the proper crystal for this watch.  I show two extra wide tension ring sizes because I cannot remember which one was the ultimate fit for this watch.

I show a side view illustrating how the movement ring is raised.  When the back is screwed down, it presses against the ring, holding the movement.

2022-08-12 06_50_26-IMG_8846.JPG ‎- Photos.png

2022-08-12 06_49_50-IMG_8847.JPG ‎- Photos.png

2022-08-12 06_49_33-IMG_8848.JPG ‎- Photos.png

While we are here...anybody attempted to repair the pitting on a case like this?  Probably above my pay grade, but still curious.