Crystal Polishing Technique

Thought I would share this with the group.  This weekend I was replacing a scratched up crystal on an old Omega Seamaster that had a small chip on the edge but I thought I would try out a few different alternatives to Polywatch to see what would work on removing the scrathes.  I have to say I was blown away by how good Meguiars Ultimate Automotive Polish did.  After a single application with some very minor rubbing the crystal came back to almost perfect.  Considering that Poly watch costs close to $8-$9 here in the states (Depending where you buy it) for a small tube where as Meguiars cost $15 for a bottle the savings over time is incredible.  I'm sure this is nothing new to you seasoned guys out there but I thought I'd post this for us new guys as an option.  Another nice feature is it provides a nice coating on it that prevents finger marks from sticking to the surface.

Polish.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Klassiker said:

Does it polish away the crystal, or fill in the scratches?

Polishing it's not based of filling. That would be noticeable right away, and of course, wouldn't last.

The OP didn't mention that he worked on a plastic (acrylic) crystal. That is a very soft material, which can be restored to perfection using pretty much any mild abrasive compound you have at hand.

Repairing a glass crystal is a different story. I've tried to explain how it's done below

Edited by jdm
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Klassiker said:

That's why I'm asking. The product is described as a 'pre-waxing glaze', and I was wondering what that means.

It's a very mild abrasive in first place. As tne OP mentioned it also leaves an oleophobic film, but is not that which "eliminates fine swirl marks". Since a plastic crystal is softer than car paint, it become more effective on it.

Edited by jdm