Glue TV style acrylic crystal into case?

I'm in the late stages of fixing up this TV cased Timex. It has a conventionally circular acrylic crystal, but ground or molded to the TV shape in the center. Luckily it responded well enough to polishing that I don't need to replace it. But this watch came into my possession assembled with the crystal loosely placed into the case, with a thin gasket between its circular flange and the case interior. When the movement is installed, the dial's outer edge presses the crystal slightly into the gasket, but not enough to seal at all. The crystal does not snap into place or fit under any friction; it falls right out when the movement comes out. I assume it's the original, if only because its implausible someone would've ever replaced a weirdo crystal on this $25 watch.

Do you think I should just glue this crystal in with hypo cement? Or maybe try a thicker gasket to put more pressure against it? It only has a snap-on caseback. Sandwiching it in loosely with the gasket doesn't seem like the right solution. Any water resistance at all is a secondary goal to a watch that doesn't fall to pieces when the caseback comes off. And it's staying in my own collection.

PXL_20220723_215941674.thumb.jpg.0e25421a98b81808fbd2e23a455e7b64.jpgPXL_20220723_220002206.thumb.jpg.715ea2ce19cbe07dab7894efecb1a3cf.jpg

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Under the circumstances and the fact its stopping in your collection so un likley to receive any hard knocks  use the Cement or a UV curing adheisive.

Thank you, I'll glue it in. Out of curiosity though, you mentioned hard knocks; would the gasket provide some shock resistance I'm not considering? Or do you mean "hard knocks" in the figurative sense, like it will be generally abused in ways I can't predict, submerged in water, etc?

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

hard knocks

I would imagine you, knowing what it took to fix your watch, would be more protective of it.  You value the time and effort it took and most others would not (present community excepted).

I'd like to see it all together when it's done.

Shane

Hard knocks in the figurative sense, in as much as below. Its hopefully not going to live the life a lot of the Timex brand did in the early days, Being a mans working watch.

1 hour ago, Shane said:

I would imagine you, knowing what it took to fix your watch, would be more protective of it

• Like 1

I came across another example of this Timex model and bought it for a bit more than the first one cost, but it was more complete. Though they're both 1978, the second one's crystal is different. It's much flatter, not domed, and is snapped tightly into the case with the O-ring. This suggests the first watch's crystal isn't the original after all.

I prefer the look & character of the domed one to the flatter one, but may yet switch it out on the one I keep if I can't get it solidly attached (Hypo cement isn't holding well)

Aside: The second specimen's hands were also original and undamaged, and they are not the same as in the catalog photo discussed in my other post. As pictured in the catalog, the hour hand can't clear the 12:00 index without either a taller cannon pinion or contorting all 3 hands way out of shape to make it work. The actual 1978 watch's hour hand is shorter, and doesn't have to pass over the 12 index.

• 3 months later...
On 7/24/2022 at 7:40 AM, Shane said:

I'd like to see it all together when it's done

This piece has been floating in and out of my job queue since summer but it's finally all done. I had a second specimen and after chatting with someone I sold a different Timex to, it turns out he was in search of this exact model. I then found a third with an unsalvageable crystal but perfect dial to swap for my own bad dial. So between mine and the one for the other guy I've got 2 in great condition now.

I put mine on a blue faux crocodile strap.

PXL_20221111_230210152.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it does look good.

From time to time, I have seen other TV watches and have passed on them all.   They always reminded me of the 70s, specifically parts I didn't like.  Since your original posting (I can't say why) they now remind of several aspects which I did.

Thanks.

Nice job.

Shane 

• Thanks 1