Eta 7750 Service Walkthrough - The Industry Standard Chronograph

I think next to Marks videos this has to be the best documented walkthrough I have seen to date, a personal thanks for sharing this with the 'fingers'n'thumb'  group I feel I am in. I found everything exceptional and when I feel I able I will use this tutorial to have a go myself

Inspirational

Thank you

Can we have your walkthrough as a pdf?

What?!  That's like asking Colonel Sanders for his 12 secrets herbs and spices!! :o

Oh .... alrighty then :P but please do not edit the document, removing the header giving Mark's site recognition.

Also may I ask that when you read through it, if you find an error in grammar, spelling etc.. please let me know via a PM ONLY so I can correct the master copy and get the admins to edit the files in this post for future readers.

ETA 7750 Service Walkthrough - Disassembly.pdf

ETA 7750 Service Walkthrough - Assembly.pdf

Thanks for the PDFs. I have to say once again how awesome your walkthrough of the 7750 is. I finally got back home from Europe this week and am anxious to begin disassembling my 7750. I just need a bit of clarification on lubricants.

Where did you find the recomendation for Lubeta V105. I cant find it. All that I can find is Moebius Fixodrop FK/BS 8941 (wife not going to be happy about that purchase)?

Thanks again for all of your help. Between your walkthrough and Mark's video I think I will be able to get through my first chronograph.

Really useful chart Lawson. It would nice to know where to purchase though many of the Rolex lubes are not available to amateurs like myself.

Genuine ETA Lubeta V105 is available here.

As for Rolex lubes, good luck!  Unless you work for Rolex I think you're outta luck.

I've been looking into lubricates for a while now, and we only get a myopic 'Swiss' view of what's really out there.  My next lube purchase is going to be a grease made by an American company "Nye Lubricants" for Keyless Work ... PML Stem Grease W-10.

The reviews on it are very promising indeed.  Most, if not all who've tried it, report it make the Keyless Work feel as smooth as butter ... and stays put.  When I purchase some, and try it out, and report my findings.

AMAZING!  Lawson, thanks so much.  This is exactly what I needed the 1st time I worked on my 7750.  It went OK using the Swissl@b site, but this is much better.  The added details about oiling, technique, etc. are much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Tell me why do you need these walkthroughs? Shouldn't you be learning how to go about dissembling and reassembling on your own initiative. Looking at books you are only going to learn so much there's nothing like practical work in finding out. I studied a lot with books in learning basic horology, things like the train and different escapements, and the tools to use but there was nothing like hands on work. I wouldn't swap it for the world and the other thing is with hands on approach I learned more. I certainly did when it came to antique clocks and Pocket Watches fitted with fusee movements. So you might call me a bit of an old moaner but I'd like to read your views on this.

Tell me why do you need these walkthroughs? Shouldn't you be learning how to go about dissembling and reassembling on your own initiative. Looking at books you are only going to learn so much there's nothing like practical work in finding out.

You're not serious are you mate?

The BEST way to learn how to do anything trade related is to be mentored.  That's the whole principle behind apprenticeships ... and this forum is a global way of mentoring those who want to learn how to repair watches.  I can think of nothing better then a complete library of movement walkthroughs to select from, so no matter what type of movement or skill level you're at, you'll find a walkthrough to mentor you through the process of servicing it.  Even for advanced repairers, these walkthroughs are a great source of reference photos ... just incase you missed taking an important one in the stripping stage.

Trying to learn watch repair by trail and error, especially when it comes to Chronos, is not only expensive, but would be down right frustrating.

I'm a Fitter and Turner by trade, and now training to be a Watchmaker.  NEVER, whilst learning as an apprentice, have to attempted anything by my own "initiative" in either trade.

I read books, study schematics and seek guidance of a mentor when learning, and once I have mastered the trade, I too will become a mentor to someone who has just begun their journey.  This is how proper techniques, confidence and tricks of the trade are pasted down generation by generation.

• Like 2

OK old moaner here's my tuppence worth. ;)

Studying a well put together walktrough before attempting a service or repair can only be beneficial, and in many cases better than reading a book on non-specific horology. You also have to remember that a lot of folk here are doing this as a hobby, so are in it for the pleasure of doing it so damage has to be avoided at all costs. This is where specific detail and guidance on technique is invaluable.

Having said this, I too advocate reading as much as you can, and work on as many old movements that you can get your hands on. This is the only way to develop the delicate touch required!

Tell me why do you need these walkthroughs? Shouldn't you be learning how to go about dissembling and reassembling on your own initiative. Looking at books you are only going to learn so much there's nothing like practical work in finding out. I studied a lot with books in learning basic horology, things like the train and different escapements, and the tools to use but there was nothing like hands on work. I wouldn't swap it for the world and the other thing is with hands on approach I learned more. I certainly did when it came to antique clocks and Pocket Watches fitted with fusee movements. So you might call me a bit of an old moaner but I'd like to read your views on this.

Hi Oldhippy,

I have found that going through someone else's walk through helps me trouble shoot or understand a key step in the disassembly or reassembly of a movement. It may be the particular order or maybe an insight that helps me understand what I did wrong or why something is not coming together properly. So...yes it helps with my own "hands-on" approach to have a snapshot of what someone else has done and how they went about it.

Regards,

JC

• Like 1

Didn't want to sparkle such a flame... But let me answer directly why I'd like to find more detailed walkthroughs: because without them I broke too many movements, lost pieces and ruined old watches that could still be ticking merrily, if only...

Well to be honest I jumped into this hobby blindfolded, without reading any book but just following scarce and hard to find manuals and guides. Then came Mark with his video walkthroughs, and I was tantalized by the accuracy and simplicity he was able to communicate. Walkthroughs helped me not destroying a friend's vintage watch, my wife's vintage Lucerne, the Hama chronograph I proudly wear now on my wrist and all the Seiko quartz chronographs that I buy, repair and collect. Quartz watches are not probably the most welcome here, but I had to start somewhere, hadn't I?

Edited by GeorgeClarkson

Quartz watches are not probably the most welcome here, but I had to start somewhere, hadn't I?

Nothing wrong with quartz watches GC, they are most welcome here my friend.

In fact some calibers like the ETA251.262 have pretty complex trains and sub trains. 

The only sad part about quartz movements is that circuits are not repairable and will eventually fail :(

Anyhoo, as the author of this thread I'd like to redirect it back to questions and information on the 7750 movement.

Further discussions on topics like training and the value of walkthroughs should be opened in the "WRT Lounge"

A good walk through is invaluable to most of us guys. Hands on experience follows and this combination developes our skills. Pulling apart a watch/clock and just learning by mistakes is just a bad process.

• Similar Content