The Kaiser of clocks

Bearman

It's been a while since I last posted. As I'm sat here fighting off that virus, been dodging it for over two years and it finally got me. So here goes. Found this nice little clock in my local charity shop, a little neglected and running very poorly. It was happier face down than standing upright. On it's knees a bit like me.

I picked it up as it's small and the missus hopefully won't notice it, plus it's fairly quiet. I got moaned at for the pendulum clock I got running earlier in the year.

I've not found much about the "Kaiser" clock company and was wondering if anyone else knew a bit more about them? Or maybe its a product name used on fancier looking clocks? I don't know. Reckon it's around late 1970s or 1980's.

It's currently disassembled, and I'm not the first one to do so as I found a lovely screwdriver gouge on the mainspring barrel cover. Adds to the character so to speak.

20220627_171551.jpg

20220627_171248.jpg

20220627_171301.jpg

20220627_171523.jpg

This clock was popular by the brand name „Uwestra“. Just Google for it! 🙂

Kaiser (owner of the Uwestra brand) was one of the five bigest clock manufacturers in Western Germany. The „Kaiserwerke Villingen“ had to file for insolvency in 1972 and were closed in 1975 after bankruptcy.

Edited by Kalanag

Thanks Kalanag, wow a little older than I originally thought. Interesting read about the company, I did wonder if my example was known by a different name elsewhere and clearly it is.

I agree OH definitely a novelty, but oh so shiny. Yes you're correct about the lacquered plates I noticed a little came away whilst I was cleaning it. Not so much as to ruin it.

I'll have some photos in due course, it's almost back together certainly running now in the upright position. Just a buff and polish to go.

What a marvelous clock that is!  I love how the unique design of the movement is able to clearly show the transference of motion through all the wheels in a logical progression.  It's even sort of an educational clock, in that you can easily see each part and see what happens next.  This is the kind of clock I would never tire of looking at.