Unmitigated Dumb Luck:

In the "THAT NEVER HAPPENS!!!" category of watch repair, I have this new story to add:  
I picked up this old, dirty Helbros Invincible at a flea market because I liked the style and wanted to see if I could do anything with it.  I got it home and took off the back...and it was like opening Pandora's box!  Looking over the Helbros-branded Lorsa P72 movement, I could plainly tell that someone had been allowing a stray screw or metal component to just freely go romping about amongst the wheel train.  Damaged wheel teeth, scratches, broken staff,  messed up hairspring, a couple cracked jewels, but no sign of a loose screw or part - although!...there were two empty screw holes, one in a bridge and it was missing one of the dial foot screws.  So I picked up another Lorsa P72 movement off Ebay that seemed to have everything I'd need (it had rust on the parts near the stem hole, but I was not worried about that).  When the donor movement came, I just cleaned everything and rebuilt choosing the best parts of each.  Ended up replacing the balance complete, center wheel, third wheel, two jewels, and the missing screws.  Miraculously, the other wheels were undamaged; teeth, leaves, and pivots were fine.  Once assembled and oiled, I set the stud carrier as close to where it should be as I could get it, and put the regulator dead center.  
Now, I only have a timegraphing app on my phone (limited funds you know).  But the traces looked really good.  So I've been wearing it off and on, and keeping it wound.  Here's the dumb luck part - I haven't needed to regulate this thing yet!  It's been two days, a shade over 48 hours, and it is now about 3 seconds faster over that time period.  I need to read the specs on a Lorsa P72, to see if it can do any better but, so far, a gain of only 3 seconds over a 48 hour period doesn't sound terrible.  I'm used to antique pocket watches and their eccentricities, so having a watch run this close to dead-on without having to regulate it six ways to Sunday feels a lot like a miracle to me. 
I'm starting to really adore this wrist watch.

Helbros_Invincible.jpg

• Like 13

11 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Did you have any difficulty dealing with the MT Antichoc  balance jewels?  I find them to be truly a pain.

Yes I did.  Don't get me started.  I tend to swear in German if I think the kids might hear.  I said some foul things a couple of times. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Gooodd job, you can do mine when you have time. 😅

Dude, if I can also get your watch running spot-on without doing any regulation, I'm going to immediately jump into my car and go buy a lottery ticket.  That kind of luck doesn't come around often.  🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Yes I did.  Don't get me started.  I tend to swear in German if I think the kids might hear.  I said some foul things a couple of times. 

I used to change the words slightly, my children used to think i had an annoyance with a  bartender ( steward ) that liked fluffing pillows. That was the best explanation i could give them lol.

• Haha 1

Lucky you indeed! That's a nice looking watch. I like that style of dial with those particular Arabic numerals. Girard-Perregaux used that style, probably during the same time period. Caravelle may have used a similar style as well.  Wear that Helbros in good health! Cheers.

• Like 1