Canon pinion loose on a clone Rolex calibre 3235

I got a replica rolex 3235 movement, a complete clone as far as I can see with me. Used for a submariner homage project I embarked on.

2 Months in, when I took the hands out for a polish and cleaned the dial, after I had replaced the hands and recased, the minute hand and hour hand started to intermittently stop and lag behind. The second hand was perfectly running at a nice -5 seconds a day. I took it apart for an inspection, nothing looked broken in the gear train, and the timegrapher numbers were still excellent, but realised that the hands would shift extremely easily when pushed. I never took notice whether that was normal or not, but based on my suspicion and a little extra research I concluded that the canon pinion was loose on the center wheel arbor,

So here is the issue, there are no known 'good' watchmakers in Singapore that will work on this replica movement, and its quite difficult to find parts, unless I swap it out with a genuine canon pinion. I've heard of a cheap way to tighten it using a shaved down blunt nail clipper, but would like to know. How 'tight' is tight, when I push the hands while the crown is in the hand-setting position, am I able to push it? will it require alot of force? or just not move at all without breaking it?

Is the friction-fit canon pinion just supposed to be tight enough that when the setting gears are tucked away, the centre wheel can continue to power the watch? and while the second hand is hacked, there enough slip that the hand can be set by the crown?

Are there any other options to repair it?

Im still a student so a cheap option of repair would be nice.

Thank you all for reading.

3 hours ago, Tone said:

…I've heard of a cheap way to tighten it using a shaved down blunt nail clipper..

You will get advice here soon! What I can say upfront is that any squeezing of the cannon without a well fitting tapered needle inside will inevitably do to much and destroy the cannon pinion.

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/18211-rolex-cannon-pinion-and-broken-center-wheel/

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tone said:

is the friction-fit canon pinion just supposed to be tight enough that when the setting gears are tucked away, the centre wheel can continue to power the watch? and while the second hand is hacked, there enough slip that the hand can be set by the crown.

Yes thats right, 

You get a micrometer action by turning the nut ( see pic)  , so to  micro-inch towards the ideal ID for the canon pinion and avoid overtightening.

I Keep testing the fit as I tighten the CP and grease the arbour.

16578912244501260495288820715893.jpg

• Like 4

This is the posts for a nail clipper tool I designed some time ago with post from LWS for his mods. Maybe of some use.

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/13621-cannon-pinion-tightening-tool/?tab=comments#comment-125998

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/18130-cannon-pinion-tool/#comment-155312

Edited by canthus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1