Main plate repair or augmentation

Everyone, 

I am working on a Geneva Sport Watch (movement 40 41). Unfortunately, on the main plate where the clutch spring sits a corner has been worn off. See the attached pictures. Now there is nothing to keep the clutch spring from sliding upwards and dislodging. Currently I am two minds and need your advice.

1. Remove the damaged material, attempt to smooth it out in order to reestablish the 90 degree edge along the wall. I'm not sure how to accomplish this. If you have done this, let me know.

2. Tape off the area, fill with JB weld or something similar, and smooth down. I'm afraid the area is too small to get proper adhesion. I found JB to somewhat brittle.

If you have a third option, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

MikeCJ

IMG_20220714_143912378 (2).jpg

IMG_20220714_143948071 (2).jpg

There could be a third way. Turn a small brass plug, it might have two diameters, although doesn't need to. Drill the plate where it has to go and fit it with a slight interference.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Shane said:

Idea but I would gust drill a small hole, about the diameter of the spring and press in a hard steel pin/drill blank.

Yes, but a small pressed post holds less that a larger one, and is more difficult to obtain a predermined interference. There is some force there. Around 2mm should be right.