Bezel Issue

Hi Guys,

I got a Tag Heuer here with a bezel issue.

The bezel just will not snap onto the case.

There are 2 spring under the bezel, the retention spring & a click spring.

I suspecting the retention ring is causing the issue, together with the rim on the case itself which seems to have some damage from previous attemps.

(I'll try to upload some images to make it more visual)

Anyone who has encountered similar issues? Any advice/tips are appreciated!

I've encountered a snap-on case cover which just wouldn't snap back on, no matter how much I used a case press. In the end, I sandwiched the case and cover between two of the plastic rings from the case press and slowly eased them together, bit by bit, in a circular motion in a bench vice. They snapped back together eventually with quite a crack.

However, the case and cover were in perfect condition - just very tight. If you have a slightly misshapen bezel or rim, it might be worth trying to see if the case rim and the bezel have deviations in them - and if the deviations might sit one on top of the other. Just a thought.

And as you say, the movement ring might not be properly seated.

Take of all springs out and see if the bezel fit the case properly . If it does test one spring at a time . The retension ring maybe needs some tweaking to make the bezel sit properly on the case . It should have 5 or 6 or more bends and they should protrude a little inside the bezel . Like on this Rolex bezel .

post-644-0-77701000-1433519246_thumb.jpg

Edited by rogart63

Hi Rogart, That's indeed the approach I tried to take. But it just seems that the problem might be both with the retention spring's shape & perhaps also with the slightly distorted rim on the case.

I'll try to make some pictures of it, didn't get to it during the weekend.

Does anybody knows whether these retention springs can be purchased somewhere? I searched cousins but couldn't find them.

Have you looked at cousinsuk ? Under the Tag heuer brand .Watch parts branded ? An search for you specific model . Otherwise their is a company in uk that has .watchpart co.uk 

Looked at cousinsuk and they didn't have any . Strange?  But the other has them . 

Edited by rogart63

Thanks for all the suggestions. The bezel without the springs fits just fine. The click spring also seems ok. It really seems the retention spring which is causing the issue69c1ef1928e95f64cc1ff53aed4cc168.jpg522db594d4ea95ab97f0fdbd90baa9ee.jpg51e08f6ea20b528d6a526647215853f5.jpg. The shape is not ideal and it has very little tension. Guess a new spring is in order? I've included some pictures

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

The spring doesn't look to good . It doesn't fit properly in the groove . It could be bent back to shape but the easiest way would be a new spring . The shape of the edge on the watch looks ok to me . A few marks but that would not be a problem . 

• 1 month later...

Bummer.... I ordered a new bezel spring at .watchpart co.uk.

After a long waiting time & inquiries from my side, They cancelled & refunded my order.

They can't provide me with the part.

It seems I will have to find an other supplier :-(

The search continues.......

I had issues with that company regarding a Tag bezel. They wouldn't answer phone calls or letters. I took advice from citizens advice and it took a legal binding letter to get my money back.

Tag parts are notoriously hard to come by, and after much eBay searching I eventually purchased a new bezel from someone in Florida.

That reminds me, I must put that watch back together again!

Hi Peter,

Looking at the pic of the bezel (leaning on the pad), the bend in the spring at approx 2 o'clock should be in the slot. As it stands, when you try to install the bezel it just pushes the spring upwards and not outwards.

Look at Rogart63's bezel, all the points are in the groove.

You need to tweak the spring a bit so that all the points are 1) in the groove and 2) lays flat. Once you get it looking like Rogart63's, then try installing.

It should be an easy fix... easier than adjusting a hairspring at least!

Anil