AliExpress jewelling tool. Yey.

Wooohoooo. My jewelling tool and parts set has arrived. Price AliExpress- £128  epay -£258 for the same 🤷‍♂️. The final piece of the puzzel, i now have everying barring a couple of gravers to do almost any repair to a watch. I'm  soooooooooo excited. Watchie and Gert we need to talk please.       

20220708_091910.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
Wasn't finished being all exciiiitted ( Mike Myers )
  • Like 1

Word of the day. Gentle.

I cracked the first jewel I tried to remove because I forgot that. Other than that, you need to make a note (using the micrometer reading on the tool) of how deep the old jewel was and fit the new one at the same depth. After that you fit the wheel and check that the end shake look correct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gbyleveldt said:

Word of the day. Gentle.

I cracked the first jewel I tried to remove because I forgot that. Other than that, you need to make a note (using the micrometer reading on the tool) of how deep the old jewel was and fit the new one at the same depth. After that you fit the wheel and check that the end shake look correct.

Thanks Gert. I didnt realise that the spindle was threaded, i thought it was the same principle as the lever jewelling tool and had to push the spindle down by hand upto the micrometer measurement. So much better to use than i imagined. Tempted to buy another set of pushers in case of accidents, now i know why second hand ones have various ones missing. Im sure it will happen at sum point. Thanks for the great advice Gert. Hope you're  having a great day mate. Uk really warm, we're not used to your winter heat 🙂. Hows the plating video coming on ? I feel a repivot video in the making, waiting for a pivot tool to arrive today or tomorrow to experiment. Now i need a decent camera set up, equipment is never ending 🤷‍♂️. I love it .👍

16 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

They are a jolly good tool for the price aren't they.

Definitely for the Aliexpress price Paul 👍

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thanks Gert. I didnt realise that the spindle was threaded, i thought it was the same principle as the lever jewelling tool and had to push the spindle down by hand upto the micrometer measurement. So much better to use than i imagined. Tempted to buy another set of pushers in case of accidents, now i know why second hand ones have various ones missing. Im sure it will happen at sum point. Thanks for the great advice Gert. Hope you're  having a great day mate. Uk really warm, we're not used to your winter heat 🙂. Hows the plating video coming on ? I feel a repivot video in the making, waiting for a pivot tool to arrive today or tomorrow to experiment. Now i need a decent camera set up, equipment is never ending 🤷‍♂️. I love it .👍

Yeah it's a lot easier once you do it than you think. Also, before I forget. There's some slop on the micrometer system (I forget now how much, but it was small) so just compensate for that. As far as spares, I think you'll break a jewel before you break the pushers. That being said I'm going to be pushing out a steel bearing to replace with a jewel soon - maybe I'll break a pusher 🤣

Our weather is pretty sheet now. It gets real cold here but it's only for a month or so. I generally prefer Autumn and Spring. Winters are too cold and Summers are torture (it gets to 37deg here when it's not raining).

The plating project is on the backburner for the moment; I have other cool things I'm messing with. I've managed to not only replace a balance staff, but sat for hours trying to fix a bent balance wheel. That's what you get when you arrogantly think you can fix anything. But I managed to get it right and learnt a hell of a lot in the process. Every little new thing you get right does a lot for the confidence hey!

Rich, use your phone man! If there's any advice I can give, it's to just start with what you have. Taking a video of your work is more of a challenge than using a fancy camera. Lighting, composition and nerves are the things you need to get comfortable with before you worry about gear. Just do it my man!!

26 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

No you wont Gert, i have faith in you. Quick question about the pushers. Ive noticed an allen grub screw threaded into the top. Any ideas why ?

Hah, guess what? I didn't break the pusher. Metal pivot out and jewel in it's place. Tadaa!

143284538_vlcsnap-2022-07-08-16h38m46s681(2).thumb.jpg.af4f0e803a54f09fcbd3f3ea3e49959d.jpg

224251780_vlcsnap-2022-07-08-16h46m56s776(2).thumb.jpg.d96fcacee9b871dd77a62103aae63c5b.jpg

The pushers have little sprung fine tips to help guide the pusher to centre it nicely over the jewel. Then the pusher proper, well, pushes. That grub screw covers the spring

Edited by gbyleveldt

33 minutes ago, gbyleveldt said:

Hah, guess what? I didn't break the pusher. Metal pivot out and jewel in it's place. Tadaa!

143284538_vlcsnap-2022-07-08-16h38m46s681(2).thumb.jpg.af4f0e803a54f09fcbd3f3ea3e49959d.jpg

224251780_vlcsnap-2022-07-08-16h46m56s776(2).thumb.jpg.d96fcacee9b871dd77a62103aae63c5b.jpg

The pushers have little sprung fine tips to help guide the pusher to centre it nicely over the jewel. Then the pusher proper, well, pushes. That grub screw covers the spring

Haha, i had no doubt that you would be successful 😄.  And thanks lol. Reading your explanation prompted me to press the biggest pusher down with my little finger . Ta-dah ( we spell it differently in the UK, might be because we are posherer here 😛 ) pushers with spring loaded end pins👍. Lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gbyleveldt said:

You’re posherer hahaha. Now go find a jewel to push out man! You can’t have a new toy and not play with it. (Boy you can read that many different ways - I’m hoping your mind isn’t constantly in the gutter)

Hahaha mate its just way things come out. I cant play with mine I'm too busy helping my missus play with her new toy lol.  Oh dear ive done it again 😆

• Haha 1